What Are Your Funny Tarantula Stories ?

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
Hey The Spider House, what theraposa species is good for beginners in the genus?
šŸ‘‹
I wouldn't recommend any of the 3 Theraphosa as a beginner spider.
Mainly as they do require a bit more specific care needs with higher humidity and good ventilation plus with the T blondi in particular, the urticating hairs. All 3 can also be d3fensive sometime to the point of aggressive.

Once you have reached the point where you are capable to give this species a good life, then the T stirmi is usually the most readily available and cheapest (in my experience a bit more tolerant if conditions not spot on as well).

There are some simple ways to ID the 3 species.
T stirmi: no hairs on the patella (knee) joint and generally a lighter caramel colour. Pink feet as slings.

T blondi: hairs on the patella and longer hairs on the back end of the abdomen. More of chocolate colour. Brown feet as slings

T apophysis: Generally more hairs than both T stirmi and T vlondi and the abdomen has longer hairs all over the abdomen. Darker Brown than the blondi which also looks to have more red to it. Pink feet running in to next leg segment, black body and generally more slender looking as slings.

Example of colours and features described from some of my AF Theraphosa (apophysis at top, blondi in the middle, stirmi at bottom)
20210410_192313.jpg

Oh man that is hilarious. Just so you know you just broke a myth. Putting ping pong balls in a T's enclosure for them to play with was a laughing joke on the people that did it.

Well looks like you proved T's do interact with them. You're the first one I've read and seen a video from proving they do, šŸ».
That was exactly why I did the experiment šŸ˜Š Wanted to see for myself. There is a spy cam in that enclosure so it captures everything she does. It's really interesting to watch what they get up to in the dead of the night šŸ‘

coldbl00ded

Arachnosquire
I am more experienced with tarantulas, but I have never gotten anything from the theraposa genus. So, once I get enough money, I think I'll buy a stirmi

Craig73

Arachnoangel
100% true story. My dad saw my collection for the first time a few weeks back. He does not have the best eyesight and extremely hard of hearing even with hearing aids.

He saw the wall shelf with all the enclosures for the first time and Iā€™m guessing saw some legs and asked me, ā€œDo you have crabs?ā€. I kid you not. The first thing that came out of my mouth was, ā€œThatā€™s personal, yesā€. How do you even respond to that? I never did clarify with him, he just gave a quick nod like ā€˜oohā€™ and that was it.

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
Is that a female? I wonder if it thinks the ball is an egg sac.
Yes a female. I have had one of T blondi (a different one) lay a false sac after the T stirmi in the next tank over were pairing. She was drumming like mad trying to get his attention (which she did BTW). Had to lightly mist her enclosure to get her to stop so that the stirmi could get back to business!
Its a possibility she may have thought was a sac. I did the same experiment with all 4 AF blondi and they had all moved them in one way or another but that is the only enclosure with a camera so not certain what the other 3 did unfortunately.

coldbl00ded

Arachnosquire
My tarantula, (who doesn't web very much) made a web bed and slept on it. Then messed it up before I could get a pic.
:sleepy:

coldbl00ded

Arachnosquire
Yep

he has a pic on the appreciate matured males tarantula pics. (its on the latest slide)

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
i had to house an S. cal in the middle of a date not too long ago - in both respects went a lot better than expected

Craig73

Arachnoangel
i had to house an S. cal in the middle of a date not too long ago - in both respects went a lot better than expected
Wait, details. Were you at the house or have to go back in the middle of the date? And is there a second date?

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
Wait, details. Were you at the house or have to go back in the middle of the date? And is there a second date?
this was a 1st date that i had been hyping up for a couple weeks so it was like impossible to cancel and i thought my T would arrive the next day but ended up arriving the same day as the date so i was stuck but felt that animal welfare is whatā€™s most important so it had to be done

the date was at my apartment, and i had my friend pick it up for me so in the middle of the date when it arrived i said something to the effect of ā€œIā€™m going to have to house my spider now Iā€™m sorryā€ and offered for them to watch something on Netflix real quick but they wanted to be in the background by request and see what i do so i took them in the bathroom and showed them

if memory serves it bolted up the back and clocked a left but i closed the enclosure doors before it could bolt anywhere else or leave the enclosure - made a good show and they were quite entertained

me and them didnā€™t work out, went on a couple more dates after that but just wasnā€™t to be but the S. cal is one of my absolute favorite specimens that i own as it turned out

Craig73

Arachnoangel
this was a 1st date that i had been hyping up for a couple weeks so it was like impossible to cancel and i thought my T would arrive the next day but ended up arriving the same day as the date so i was stuck but felt that animal welfare is whatā€™s most important so it had to be done

the date was at my apartment, and i had my friend pick it up for me so in the middle of the date when it arrived i said something to the effect of ā€œIā€™m going to have to house my spider now Iā€™m sorryā€ and offered for them to watch something on Netflix real quick but they wanted to be in the background by request and see what i do so i took them in the bathroom and showed them

if memory serves it bolted up the back and clocked a left but i closed the enclosure doors before it could bolt anywhere else or leave the enclosure - made a good show and they were quite entertained

me and them didnā€™t work out, went on a couple more dates after that but just wasnā€™t to be but the S. cal is one of my absolute favorite specimens that i own as it turned out
Thatā€™s awesome! I can just imagine small talk during the rehousing would be like ā€˜so, what kind of medical coverage do you have, and do you mind signing that release of liability sitting on the sink real quick?ā€™ šŸ¤£

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't have a picture unfortunately, but one of the funniest things occurred during my first couple of years. When I first had my hamorii, she was a skittish little thing, would sometimes flick hairs for no reason. Some time before her first molt with me, she had a bald spot shaped like a ā¤, I kid you not ! It was so unexpected and rather amusing to see :) Maybe it was her way to show her love as I have been taking very good care of her. Bear in mind, in 2011, B. hamorii (then smithi) was my dream tarantula to own. Even though it is the most recognizable tarantula, my tiny collection wouldn't be complete without the ultimate Hobby icon.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
My recently matured LP made his very first sperm web on Christmas day, right out in the open in front of everyone. My guests got a little more education than they were wanting that day.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
My recently matured LP made his very first sperm web on Christmas day, right out in the open in front of everyone. My guests got a little more education than they were wanting that day.
Thatā€™s definitely one way to set the holiday mood. Did you at least hang mistletoe above the enclosure?

me and my Ts

Arachnoknight
Oh, and this one time, at band camp...........
Actually I do have a story with a bug from band camp, we were out side practicing box marching for marching band and I was going forward when a really big dragonfly comes out of no where, it hits me on the bridge of the nose and I get a bloody nose

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
Thatā€™s definitely one way to set the holiday mood. Did you at least hang mistletoe above the enclosure?
It was fun for me anyway. But no, he might not be as feisty as he was but I still ain't tryin to kiss him. Handsome as he may be.