What are they "bald spots" on versicolors?

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What are the "bald spots" on versicolors?

I notice quite often that versicolors have a "bald spot" on their abdomen.Why is that?Is it from them rubbing hairs,or is it something that's exclusive with versis?I have never seen other members of it's genus with them.What is it called?Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most new world species' of tarantula have Urticating hairs on their abdomens. They kick these off when threatened as a form of defence. The bald patch would be from lack of these hairs. They would have been kicked off already.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
but they don't look like that on versis.I will try to get a picture of what I mean.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is that what it is called?A mirrot patch?What is that?Here is a picture of my ~3" female(90%sure)She just molted about a month ago,so I don't think she could lose much hairs in that time.It's on the abdomen,as stated earlier:

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it is the silvery patch on the top of the versi's abdomen.Thats all.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I didn't know it had a different name. Cool. It's still urticating hairs though isn't it?

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that the Avicularias didn't "kick" hairs, but sort of rubbed them onto things?

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that the Avicularias didn't "kick" hairs, but sort of rubbed them onto things?
Versicolors can kick hairs, as the only ones in the genus, as far as we know. Other avics rub them of, though very seldomly. They will usually fling poo and parachute away from you first.

OP;What a beautiful little girl you have! As mentioned, the silvery patch is just another feature of these colourfull little fuzzies.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I actually got it at about 2.5" for $40 from my lps.I was really excited to find one so cheap.It molted shortly after,and I molt sexed it as a female.Almost every spider in the store is a female if it's over 2".Anyways,Thanks everyone who helped!