What are the signs of a stressed Tarantula?

ZebraMan

Arachnopeon
Can my A see man I become cold. Also can someone show me a picture of a stressed A seemanni thanks

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Can my A see man I become cold. Also can someone show me a picture of a stressed A seemanni thanks
It can if your temperatures drop too low. If you're comfortable with the temperature in your home, so will your A. seemanni. Temps between the high 60s and the low 80s are generally the best temp zones, IME. Higher temps promote a more active metabolism and activity, while lower temps the opposite.

A stressed A. seemanni will look just like any other stressed tarantula; legs drawn in tight to "hide" itself and not moving around, generally camping out in a corner.

Edit - Here is a picture of my 0.1 P. muticus (here you go, @Chris LXXIX :kiss:) the day I got her and stressed from shipping. Notice how she's pulled in tight and hiding her face. Any stressed tarantula will adopt a similar pose.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Aphonopelma seemanni are a nervous species overall. Mine will most often pull her legs up to cover her carapace when I open the enclosure and I have had her for a long time. Some of them might never get over their nervousness, although many do when they reach full size and have less to worry about.
It can take months for them to get accustomed to their new home and that is why it is always emphasized that they should be rehoused as little as possible.
Your A.seemanni requires fairly deep substrate, a hide, a water dish, with fresh water in it only and nothing else, which should be overflowed a bit to create a bit more humidity.
Leave them alone completely for a couple of weeks and only disturb them to fill the water dish. If they are acting that nervous, put off feeding for a couple of weeks.
Tarantulas do not do a lot. Some of them are a bit more active, and some will rearranging the stuff in their enclosure, but they really don't do much of anything. You'll have to get used to that.

CABIV

Arachnosquire
It's difficult to convey this information via a photo, because as a rule tarantulas don't move a whole lot.

Basically, the only way to know if a tarantula is stressed, is if it is almost always huddled up (instead of relaxed) and is constantly pacing the cage when it is not huddled up. They must display this behavior persistently (over a few weeks).

Unfortunately, a tarantula may act like this for a day or two then go back to normal. It is also hard initially to recognize the difference between typical behaviors for an individual, and unusual ones. This is why observation over time is important, and why no one can give you a clear cut photo and answer.

You really need to have your tarantula for a little while longer. Try and set up you container similar to my description, so it can dig, and then give it somewhere to hide in the meantime. As others mention, put it in a low traffic area.

It will likely take months for it to feel comfortable enough to do "normal" tarantula things. Wait a week before feeding, then just keep up with the food and water.

ZebraMan

Arachnopeon
Thank you. Is my A seemanni in premolt his abdomen turned black

Attachments

Last edited:

lee1993

Arachnopeon
my a semmani made burrow all around its enclosure and blocked it off. which been about 5-6 month, not eaten either. i over fill water dish and occasionally i spray have enclosure just give it a little dampness

Angelo303

Arachnosquire
I just got a Costa Rican zebra as my first T it did not want to eat the cricket I gave him. I tried to give him another one but he wouldn’t take it. He is stressed he only stays in a corner and won’t eat. Is this bad?
You spider doesn't very plump at first glance, so pre-molt can probably be ruled out and it might just be stressed form the relocation or it might have molted before you acquired it and not ready to eat yet. It looks fine at fist glance so I wouldn't worry too much unless you see the abdomen really shrink or it keeps staying in a ball o' legs mode.

However there are some changes you should make for the enclosure, to prevent future problems. First, remove the sponge from the water dish, it'll just collect all sorts of dirt, poop(from crickets and T both) and bacteria and can't be cleaned, it's just an infection hazard. Second, the hide looks translucent? While tarantulas don't have good eyesight, they do see light and it might not feel secure in it as a result. Third, while I am not familiar with A. seemanni requirements specifically, the mesh cover to your enclosure might be letting too much humidity escape. But that 3rd point also depends on your ambient humidity and someone more familiar with that species can probably give more accurate info there.

And whoops, just noticed that thread is a wee bit old even if Zebra's question is recent XD
i purchased mine yesterday because it was the smales and i got it because it looks in a bad shape its abdomen is so small i wanted to give it a better place so it looks like this 20200215_183448.jpg 20200217_010225.jpg
and i fed it 1 little dubia roach 2 crickets he ate one and dropped one complete i offered him a 3rd one he grabbed it after a bit he just ripped the head off idk if its alright

Tancerek

Arachnopeon
As far as i know, no. Keepers can be subjected to burn out syndrome as a result from overmuch worrying though ;)
So.. what are the possible most dire consequences of overstressing your Tarantula? Say, gentle species like Brachypelma.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
@-crone and @ the sith which the tarantula owner from the reptile store set it up for me. How long does it take for it to lose stress and adapt to his environment? Thanks
thats a poorly set up cage ditch the sponge buy a real cork wood flat or big cork round(split in half lenghth wise) buried at an angle while you add about a big bag maybe more or a brick of coco fiber to get the sub high enough to prevent fall risk to your t.far as losing the stress and adapting its got no other choice right now until you make the few changes needed to help it thrive. its not your fault i have seen worse from pet stores along with their recommended set ups for keeping ts

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
thats a poorly set up cage ditch the sponge buy a real cork wood flat or big cork round(split in half lenghth wise) buried at an angle while you add about a big bag maybe more or a brick of coco fiber to get the sub high enough to prevent fall risk to your t.far as losing the stress and adapting its got no other choice right now until you make the few changes needed to help it thrive. its not your fault i have seen worse from pet stores along with their recommended set ups for keeping ts
I doubt they'll see your reply given that they've not logged into the forum for nearly 5 years ;)

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
this is not a zombie thread, I asked new question yesterday:
it is a zombie thread it was started in 2017 confusion aside its things are easier when you just post a new thread with your question as to your question i dont actually know since i have never purposely or knowingly kept a t or any pet in stressful conditions. i feel its my responsiblity as the owner to provide the best care that i can for a pet that relies upon me for its survival.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
So.. what are the possible most dire consequences of overstressing your Tarantula? Say, gentle species like Brachypelma.
Holy zombie thread batman.. :rofl:

The most dire consequences.. a stress curl? As long as the stress isn't caused by keeping them incorrectly, I wouldn't be able to name any other effect to be honest. If they're stressed they just hunker down and wait for whatever caused it passes and then continue on their spidery-things.