What are the signs of a premolt

Mallard

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The salesman at my local pet store said my avicularia avicularia was
about to molt when I puchased it on April 15/07.
He also told me not to feed untill after molting.
How can I tell if she(approx 6months old) is actually in premolt?
Pet store guy also sells goldfish so you will understand my lack of faith
in him as a spider expert.
Thanks
Jason:confused:

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
From what I know and heard, it's hard to tell when they're in premolt.

However, usually give your new friend a while to settle in, then try feeding it. Drop a cricket in and let the bugger run around until he meets his/her doom. If it doesn't get eaten in awhile pull him/her out if your T seems to no have any interest in food. IE; the crickets runs around, on, or under your T and it's unresponsive in the sense that it deosn't pounce on it or make any attempt to go after it. If it seems annoyed, then pull the cricket out once it's safe (your hand doesn't need to go near the T).

Maybe someone can say a bit more, or correct me.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well a good sign of premolt is to offer some food to the T and if it goes untouched thats a sign....

Also if she looks plump and happy thats a maybe sign. Fading color is a sign. Her webbing herself into a tub and sealing it shut, another sign..... I know there are more but they are not coming to me.

Oh slowed movements.... or hyper reactions to movements. Sounds weird but sometimes avics because their senses are dulled some they over react to small movments or vibrations.
I know I am missing something....... ahh well someone else can name the rest of them.

EricFavez

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
there are signs of a molt...they will usually stop eating...whole body will darken in color and the abdomen will turn a dark blue/black color. Ive notice that sometimes you can tell because the fangs protrude out. And he is right about feeding after the molt..usually wanna wait a week or so.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
also, the abdomen starts to look a little hazy. it doesn't look as sharp and clear as usual. that, and everyone's right about the eating. oh yeah, and the legs get a darker tint too, that is if the sling's legs are still light. hope this helps. it should only be a week or two if you are noticing these things. :D

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The salesman at my local pet store said my avicularia avicularia was
about to molt when I puchased it on April 15/07.
He also told me not to feed untill after molting.
How can I tell if she(approx 6months old) is actually in premolt?
Pet store guy also sells goldfish so you will understand my lack of faith
in him as a spider expert.
Thanks
Jason:confused:
If you bought from Shane at Big Al's he knows what he talking about.

He's also a member here.