what are the pet stores coming to!?!

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
today my brother, cousin, and I went to a pet store we've never been to before. as we were looking at the tree frogs and such i was really amazed to see they actually had more than one tarantula...they had 3 female rosies (one of which was red phase) for $19.99 US...but this is what REALLY freaked me out...they were selling a female p. murinus that wasn't even close to being an adult for $39.99 US!!!!!!!! honestly who in hell is going to buy one for that much!?!

Risto

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Lots of people. The price system for the internet T business and the system for pet stores are two different worlds, and they are both succesful to different markets. the internet market is generally a more proffesional one seeking more exotic captive bred tarantulas and have quick access to different pricelists - competetive pricing and service here is crucial.

The world of the pet store mainly caters to those looking for 'that big spider', and so they buy from retailers or get wildcaughts, jack up the price and make a profit.

-V

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah your probably right...some sucker will fall for the thing and think an orange tarantula that is psycotic is worth the $40 dollars and buy her.

Risto

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At my work they sell smithis and emilias for $119.98 no matter what size it is and yes people buy them every once in a while...crazy I'm telling ya!;P ;P ;P ;P ;P ;P

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Oh come on. Be honest. I'm convinced that we all were like that at one time or other.

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
.....and you also have to figure the price for a t if your getting it online, shipping and all sometimes comes close to the store price.

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
mebebraz
i was jus going to add that,well put-jason

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by lam
Oh come on. Be honest. I'm convinced that we all were like that at one time or other.
Not me. I can remember things like getting sexed smithis for $15 back in the early 80s. I've had sticker shock in the pet stores except for rare occasions for a whole lotta years. Slings may be small, but they fit my idea of a price point for an invert. I still cannot get behind the pricing of adults even though I understand why they cost so much.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with code monkey. My family supplied me with T's and sold to other breeders and dealers. I remember the first time i saw a T for $39.00 at a pet shop --insane!!

I've picked up some T's from pet stores, but not before i get the price i want (which sometimes includes buying alot more crickets than i inteded or possibly doing a trade).

But either way, I never just went in and said "i want that fuzzy bug". Besides growing up with them, i just wasn't impulsive with animals (as i am with everything ELSE in my life =D ).

peace
dave

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
I love my pet store, but I do believe the prices are a bit high. It's worth it to me though, as I don't have to pay $25 to ship the T.....the last time I bought T's there I got a 3/4" Usumbara for $18, a 1/4" A. avic for $10 and an H. lividum for $40. Overpriced, but worth it to me.
I guess it depends on what YOU think the T is worth....

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i just don't know about the prices anymore...the city next to mine has like 3 female a. seemani's and they are all in horrible condition.

Risto

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i'm someone who really shops around. then again, i own reptiles and they have prices which can really fluctuate as well if they aren't a highly-sought-after type.

i call all over the place locally (usually only G. rosea and A. avic) and then check all over the place online and comparitively shop.

having lots of animals, um, it really helps to shop around. otherwise i'd be even more broke than i already am! :D