What are the most common names for pet spiders?

Have you owned spiders with any of these names? Select all that apply

• Total voters

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rosie. Itsy. Shelob. Charlotte. I'm sure everyone here has noticed how commonplace particular names are among pet spiders. There's no way to get remotely accurate data among the global spider-owning population, but at the very least I'm very curious how many AB users have used these names.

Any other super common spider names I missed?

H3nry

Arachnopeon
I have a B hamorii I named elvira it may not be super common but I've seen it here and there

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
While I have not personally used it, I know a number of people who have opted for "Aragog".

I don't name many of my spiders, but I have a "Rosie" - also a "Big Bertha" and a "Surly Temple."

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's fantastic, what species?
Well, she was a Brachypelma albopilosum but now they've changed the name... what was it again? Oh, yeah. Tliltocatl albopilosum.
Anyway, a Curly Hair. She was my very first tarantula, and she earned the name when she went through a moody adolescence where she went from the docile spider I knew and loved to a defensive little terror that wanted nothing to do with me. She has since mellowed out again.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've not used them but these are the most common ones I see;

Shelob
Aragog
Charlotte
Pubes (guess which species gets this one)

All of mine are named after characters from Marvel or Mortal Kombat so the most unoriginal names I have are probably;

Hanzo (S. maurus)
Medusa (Corn Snek)

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Definitely Aragog is the most common one I see. No problem with that, though! All of mine are John Entwistle references but I don't have a Boris. (yet!)

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
I had a long conversation with one of my spiders the other day. She explained that I was actually mispronouncing her name but it was ok given that I did not possess chelicerae.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Funny enough, I like to name my specimens the same name depending on their species, and I don't know why. For example, I have five OBTs I call Pterinochilus murinus...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

MogiCorp

Arachnosquire
Out of the 3 tarantulas I’ve met other than my own, 2 were named Rosie. They were from educational programs though so I can understand a cute name like that to make them seem more appealing.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Definitely Aragog is the most common one I see. No problem with that, though! All of mine are John Entwistle references but I don't have a Boris. (yet!)
Oh wow I totally forgot about that song.

Funny enough, I like to name my specimens the same name depending on their species, and I don't know why. For example, I have five OBTs I call Pterinochilus murinus...

Thanks,

Arthroverts
But how will they know which one you're talking to when you call their name?

Out of the 3 tarantulas I’ve met other than my own, 2 were named Rosie. They were from educational programs though so I can understand a cute name like that to make them seem more appealing.
I suspect at least 60% of education tarantulas are named "Rosie".

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@Cavedweller, didn't you know tarantulas are pack animals? I keep em' all together in their little vial, and when I call they all come running! So far they can only kill the flies that sometimes get in the house, but when they get bigger they should be able to bring home the bacon...or beef, depending on what I feel like.

:rofl::D:rofl:

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
My Grandson wants to name our little Lasiodora parahybana sling..."Bubba Chub". I don't get it...:bag:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Seems like everyone has a shelob (where did that name even come from?), Aragog, and Charlotte.

The select specimens I do name get some sort of ridiculous name. For example my 4 T. albopilosum are named after household products.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I have a Charlotte, but she's not named after the one from the book.

Astron

Arachnopeon
Seems like everyone has a shelob (where did that name even come from?), Aragog, and Charlotte.
Shelob is the spider that lives in the tunnel entrance to Mordor from Lord of the Rings. I'm sure Ungoliant can vouch for that :rofl:

I'm genuinely surprised there aren't more juvie males out there called Parker. Or even just Peter

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I'm genuinely surprised there aren't more juvie males out there called Parker. Or even just Peter
My friend who wants to start keeping Ts told me on the drive home from an expo last weekend that she wants to get a red(ish) T to name Peter. Her boyfriend didn't get it. :rofl:

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

The select specimens I do name get some sort of ridiculous name. For example my 4 T. albopilosum are named after household products.
What are their names? Sometimes I like to theme name when I buy several slings of the same species. I've got RCF Rosies named "Apricot", "Mango", and "Peach", along with a pair of BCF A. seemanni named "Levis" and "Wrangler"
My friend who wants to start keeping Ts told me on the drive home from an expo last weekend that she wants to get a red(ish) T to name Peter. Her boyfriend didn't get it. :rofl:
The closest I've had was a (tragically short-lived) A. moderatum named after Carnage.