What Are The Laws For Tarantulas On An Airplane?

coldbl00ded

Arachnosquire
If I were to go to Arizona, catch a tarantula, and try to bring it back through an airport, what would happen?

JDS123

Arachnosquire
are they allowed to be taken from the wild there as pets, I believe so, then your really gonna have to contact fish and game, or others more involved in that, the airlines or whatever, I mean ppl do fly their pets when they move and ship and such. Don't break the laws though we don't need the bad press.

Maybe ask in some facebook groups or something.

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
If I were to go to Arizona, catch a tarantula, and try to bring it back through an airport, what would happen?
Depends on many factors.

Where you are collecting it from.
What the rules for TSA are.
What the rules for the specific airlines are.
What USFW laws are, with the specific species.

I suggest contacting them all directly to find out, rather than rely on random people's opinions. It is the ONLY way to know definitively.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Arizona has state laws protecting their fauna of the state, tarantulas are one of them.

Aside from the airline and TSA, (federal) you might be facing a state felony for trying to smuggle the T outside of the state. Just search on Arizona's DHS site.

I have a friend that lives in Arizona and looked into some of the state laws, (not that I was even remotely thinking of obtaining a wild caught tarantula).

If you have residence in the state and you find a tarantula on your property you can keep it per Arizona outside of your property no you can't.

JDS123

Arachnosquire
Arizona has state laws protecting their fauna of the state, tarantulas are one of them.

Aside from the airline and TSA, (federal) you might be facing a state felony for trying to smuggle the T outside of the state. Just search on Arizona's DHS site.

I have a friend that lives in Arizona and looked into some of the state laws, (not that I was even remotely thinking of obtaining a wild caught tarantula).

If you have residence in the state and you find a tarantula on your property you can keep it per Arizona outside of your property no you can't.
wherd did you find the info, im trying, multitasking though so im a fail, but yesh Im suprised they dont have a limit or something to collecting, like us in California who are the most strict of all the states.

your T would beconfiscated- stop trying to break the law
maybe they want a cavity search at the airport?

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I think crossing state would turn into a Federal crime, like kidnapping does- but who knows 🙄

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
If you’re legally allowed to collect, I imagine it would be easier just to ship it to yourself

JDS123

Arachnosquire
If you’re legally allowed to collect, I imagine it would be easier just to ship it to yourself
yeah, they gotta hit up the right ppl, these species are very prolific in our areas, dont think its illegal to collect, best to be sure, we dont want bad publicity, and somehow it always gets out.

We especially dont want to collect from areas that species are having issues.

Our wild population is up most highest.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I believe it happens alot with people taking tarantulas from Arizona. I don't think that's high on the list of concern for AZ.

However better never ever try taking a 🌵 from the wild there.

I find it odd that Arizona is so strict on the taking of any cactus yet going out into the desert which I have alot of cactus especially the old giant ones are full of bullet holes.

JDS123

Arachnosquire
I believe it happens alot with people taking tarantulas from Arizona. I don't think that's high on the list of concern for AZ.

I find it odd that Arizona is so strict on the taking of any cactus yet going out into the desert which I have alot of cactus especially the old giant ones are full of bullet holes.
bullet holes, geeez im a gun guy, but love nature, makes me sick

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Ive been to Saguaro Nat Forest-EPIC

tarantulas118

Arachnoknight
Why spend more money on flights than to just buy one?? It’s safer, cheaper, and most importantly not so risky. Just wondering…

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Ive been to Saguaro Nat Forest-EPIC
That is a beautiful park from what I've heard.

My friend lives on the NW outer side of Phoenix. It's been a long time but we used to go to Lake Pleasant and farther out from there. It's nothing compared to Saguaro though.

I remember in the mid 90's being out in the desert at night and being in awe of the stars in the sky. You could see so much more there.

Now you can't see much due to how much bigger Phoenix is. The city lights and pollution drowns out the stars you can see. Grand Canyon now has more pollution coming from LA.

Last time I went to visit my friend was 2014. I told him he can come here to visit from now on. Population is out of control in Phoenix. Too much traffic and every place you go too much people crowding everything.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I really want to go out there next year sometime and camp as well out there!!
It’s worth it!

That is a beautiful park from what I've heard.

My friend lives on the NW outer side of Phoenix. It's been a long time but we used to go to Lake Pleasant and farther out from there. It's nothing compared to Saguaro though.

I remember in the mid 90's being out in the desert at night and being in awe of the stars in the sky. You could see so much more there.

Now you can't see much due to how much bigger Phoenix is. The city lights and pollution drowns out the stars you can see. Grand Canyon now has more pollution coming from LA.

Last time I went to visit my friend was 2014. I told him he can come here to visit from now on. Population is out of control in Phoenix. Too much traffic and every place you go too much people crowding everything.
Didn’t know that about GC, been there 2x crap.

You want Dark Sky parks. There’s a list.

Head over to Moab. Been there a couple times, still haven’t seen all national parks in that region

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Didn’t know that about GC, been there 2x crap.

You want Dark Sky parks. There’s a list.

Head over to Moab. Been there a couple times, still haven’t seen all national parks in that region
Thanks for the advice on Moab. I have a bucket list of national parks among other places I want to see.

bullet holes, geeez im a gun guy, but love nature, makes me sick
Yeah it made me upset when I saw it. It's not the firearms it's the people that clearly didn't care. Alot of these cactus riddled with bullet holes were higher up. So I knew it was deliberate.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for the advice on Moab. I have a bucket list of national parks among other places I want to see.
forget the site, just google, and search for Dark Sky…

Its a legit org that has specific criteria for a park to get that claim. It’s so popular that in the last few years parks have been advertising their Dark status.

Summer is best for Milky Way observation of course in Moab, but been there during winter and it’s still gorgeous