What are the "Hobby Staples"? The T's you have to have?

Alana

Arachnopeon
My collection wouldn't be complete without Poecilotheria, Psalmopoeus and Tapinauchenius. Also my Thrixopelma lagunas, she's fab!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I am curious as to what specie are considered the "staples" of the hobby; those spiders that your collection would not be complete without?
I like variety in lifestyles/behavior.

Of the beginner-friendly options, I would say:
  • Grammostola pulchra (the black lab of tarantulas)
  • Acanthoscurria geniculata (an eating machine)
  • Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (webs and has beautiful coloring at all stages)
  • Caribena versicolor or a hardy Avicularia

I am just starting to get into the more intermediate and advanced options, but so far, I'd say Psalmopoeus cambridgei is cool. It transitions from more of a burrower/dirt curtain maker to arboreal, grows quickly, eats well, and has an interesting build that looks somewhat beefy for an arboreal.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Brachypelma hamorii (rip Smithi)

Caribena versicolor

Although I'm late to the party at least one Grammostola. I went with a pulchra as my first.

Heteroscodra maculata (phone pic)

A pokie. This is my Poecilotheria tigrinawesseli (phone pic)

There are of course many, many more. Theraphosa sp, (I've got a well grown on blondi sling) Pamphobeteus sp (I've got an antinous), A.Gen, GBB, LP, OBT.......................

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Have you been properly haired by one of your Ts, though? I never experienced any serious effects of the urticating setae either, but somehow most of my Ts are reluctant to kick them in my direction. The really love me, that's why! :troll:

Avivularia?! o_O :happy:

I think everyone should have at least one tarantula that gets relatively big to show off to visitors, like a Pamphobeteus, LP, A. geniculata, Phormictopus (or all of them ;))
:eek:
Phone was feeling sassy with me as well...:p
Will fix it in a minute, thnx

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
Your collection will never be completed, even if you have 100 spiders, still there will be some cool species you will need to get ;P

Tulip28

Arachnopeon
I know dwarf species aren't for everyone, but I would say that H. sp. red (formally E. sp. red) is definitely a great species to own. What they lack in size, they make up for in personality.

My little one (maybe 1/3") is quite active, even at that tiny size.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The tried and true staples for many years were G. rosea/porteri, B. hamorii (smithi), B. albopilosum, A. seemani, etc. I don't have any of these but I have had all of them in the past. I would like to have a B. hamorii (smithi) but they grow too slow for my taste, not to mention the fact that I prefer OW arboreals anyway.
The ones I've listed above were the most common starters in my day. Things have certainly changed though

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
A new list was published this morning and it is only one T. long: Aphonopelma iodius! By published, I mean by me, here in this post. I will see this T. rise to power!

Last edited:

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I know dwarf species aren't for everyone, but I would say that H. sp. red (formally E. sp. red) is definitely a great species to own. What they lack in size, they make up for in personality.

My little one (maybe 1/3") is quite active, even at that tiny size.
Did I miss something somewhere? Its no longer E. sp. (Red)?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Hobby staple? Terrestrial I'd say G.pulchripes or B.smithi and arboreal would have to be between P.cambridgei and P.regalis or an avic spp.

Personally, I am into big Ts, I like to have as many of the larger species I can get my hands on. Theraphosa's and Pampho's are a must, you need to have at least one big fast growing monster.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

aurusantula

Arachnopeon
I'm sold on having an A. chalcodes, B. hamorii, C. versicolor, Euthalus "red", P. tigrinawesseli, and an OBT. (I currently only have the A. chalcodes)

I'm really fond of Brachypelmas, Aphonopelmas, and other terrestrial/fossorial tarantulas, so I'll probably end up doing a lot of those.

Estein

Arachnoknight
Call me lame, but I think G. porteri is great to have in a collection that's just getting started. My porteri--with her mood swings and weird eating habits and pet-rockness--was the perfect teacher for understanding that a tarantula knows what it's doing and will continue to do what it's doing until it inexplicably decides to do something else. Plus they have a really understated beauty. My girl is gorgeous without even trying. ;)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Brachypelma hamorii (RIP smithi - you will always be smithi in my eyes. I miss you)

Here's my girl with the whole "here's looking at you kid" stare going on.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've commented on this thread already and I did state Thrixopelma of any species.. Here's something to push you all in the right direction _20170624_015715.JPG IMG_20160805_125858.jpg DSC_0014_4.JPG