What are the "Hobby Staples"? The T's you have to have?

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
I am curious as to what specie are considered the "staples" of the hobby; those spiders that your collection would not be complete without?

So far I've heard these:
P. murinus "OBT"
C. cyanopubescens "GBB"
B. smithi (now hamorii)
and A. avicularia

I'm interested in hearing the opinions of my fellow hobbyists on what are the must-have T's, both Old and New World.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
There isn't really such a thing, I think. It's all about personal preference. You buy based on some combination of factors like:

-What Ts do you like the appearance of?
-What Ts tend to behave in the manner you want?
-What size T do you prefer?
-How difficult is the care for this T?
-How much do you want to spend?
-What do you have the room/enclosure for?
-How will the other people/pets I live with feel about it?

cold blood

Staff member
B. smithi
GBB
A.geniculata
C. versicolor
P.cambridgei
B. vagans/albopilosum
C. marshalli or darlingi
at least one pokie.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Acanthoscurria geniculata, of course. Brachypelma albopilosum (the nicuragua variety, at least for me). Hmmm... some that are on my "definitely one day" list are P. cambridgei, P. muticus (PBUH), and a P. miranda, but those are based mostly on personal interests. Oh! Almost forgot H. maculata.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Geniculata.

On my personal list of "always will have one":
A pampho
A phormic
Multiple Brachys

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Well I mean IMO a collection can't be complete without like... all the Pamphobeteus. So my collection is never complete. But I would say at least have like 6 large South American terrestrials in your collection at one time.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Nobody has mentioned T. stirmi or blondi :eek:, heresy I say. I couldn't imagine a collection without one, at least not for me.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
IMO...

New Worlds
Avic Sp. OR C. Versicolor
Brachy. Sp OR C Chromatopelma OR C. Rosea
E. Murinis

Old Worlds
Poec. Sp OR H Maculata
OBT OR M Balfouri
P Muticus OR C. Lividus

So if you have all of these you have at least one fossorial, arboreal and one terrestrial in both OW and NW categories. You'll also have an Asian and a African species from all three categories. Also, I gotta admit I'm partial to OWs so the list of NWs is a little less extensive. Personally I'm trying to collect all on that list.

Amarok815

Arachnopeon
Nobody has mentioned T. stirmi or blondi :eek:, heresy I say. I couldn't imagine a collection without one, at least not for me.
I hear they have a pretty bad set of hairs and know how to use 'em! I personally wouldn't get one because of the hair flicking, but from all the threads about them getting ulcers or rupturing stuff. (Of course that could happen to any T.) Those have scared me away from the species though.

My must have list would be:
Encyocratella olivacea
Ephebopus cyanognathus
Tapinauchenius gigas
Haven't gotten them yet, but they're definitely my absolute must haves.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
I hear they have a pretty bad set of hairs and know how to use 'em! I personally wouldn't get one because of the hair flicking, but from all the threads about them getting ulcers or rupturing stuff. (Of course that could happen to any T.) Those have scared me away from the species though.

My must have list would be:
Encyocratella olivacea
Ephebopus cyanognathus
Tapinauchenius gigas
Haven't gotten them yet, but they're definitely my absolute must haves.
For whatever reason, over 6 years keeping all kinds of Ts, mostly new world terrestrials, I've never had a reaction to hairs, so I am very very lucky. I think even if I did though I couldn't resist, there's just something about them.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
IMO...

New Worlds
Avic Sp. OR C. Versicolor
Brachy. Sp OR C Chromatopelma OR C. Rosea
E. Murinis

Old Worlds
Poec. Sp OR H Maculata
OBT OR M Balfouri
P Muticus OR C. Lividus

So if you have all of these you have at least one fossorial, arboreal and one terrestrial in both OW and NW categories. You'll also have an Asian and a African species from all three categories. Also, I gotta admit I'm partial to OWs so the list of NWs is a little less extensive. Personally I'm trying to collect all on that list.
Wow, I think your phone played tricks on you....it is supposed to be:
Avicularia species or C.versicolor
Brachypelma species or Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
G.rosea and E.murinus.
OW
Poecilotheria species or H.maculata
OBT or M.balfouri
P.muticus or C.lividus ;)
(Not my preferences, just editing)

@Op, just get as much as can fit in your house and will not break your wallet :p

Last edited:

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You MUST have at least one pet hole so you can know the meaning of the term, I actually don't even recommend tarantulas for this purpose.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
A. geniculata
N. chromatus
C. versicolor
At least one Avicularia sp.
B. hamorii/albopilosum/emilia
P. cambridgei/irminia
C. cyaneopubescens
At least one Poecilotheria sp.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I've never had a reaction to hairs, so I am very very lucky.
Have you been properly haired by one of your Ts, though? I never experienced any serious effects of the urticating setae either, but somehow most of my Ts are reluctant to kick them in my direction. The really love me, that's why! :troll:

Avivularia species or C.versicolor
Avivularia?! o_O :happy:

I think everyone should have at least one tarantula that gets relatively big to show off to visitors, like a Pamphobeteus, LP, A. geniculata, Phormictopus (or all of them ;))

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Have you been properly haired by one of your Ts, though? I never experienced any serious effects of the urticating setae either, but somehow most of my Ts are reluctant to kick them in my direction. The really love me, that's why! :troll:

Avivularia?! o_O :happy:

I think everyone should have at least one tarantula that gets relatively big to show off to visitors, like a Pamphobeteus, LP, A. geniculata, Phormictopus (or all of them ;))
Oh yes absolutely, in fact a friend and I were rehousing my Lasiodora klugi a few weeks ago and both got pretty badly haired in transfer, her hands flared up terribly and she couldn't even bend her fingers properly, I didn't experience anything.
I've gone as far as to experiment, handle long used substrates, blatantly laced with hairs, to no effect. I haven't gone out of my way past that, once or twice, as I'm wary of stories of responsiveness being linked with sequential exposure(I believe Poec54 used to speak on how bad his response to hair became after unpacking large shipments), but so far still no results. Fingers crossed I suppose.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I've gone as far as to experiment, handle long used substrates, blatantly laced with hairs
Hm. Perhaps I should give that a try as well. Or I will just wait a little longer until my LP needs a bigger enclosure and see if that would give me any reactions. Hopefully I am as much a medical miracle as you are. Fingers crossed...:)