What are the differences between scolopendra morsitans and suspinipes? Color diff, pattern, texture.

Scolofreak

Arachnopeon
As is in color, pattern, texture.
I saw on another post on here about morsitans, something about the second to last segment, a ridge?
And in closing how medically significant venom from a market and

Scoly

Arachnobaron
You can always edit your posts 😉

Scolopendra subspinipes is highly varied, with many colour patterns, and is probably a species complex. Most varieties grow to 5/6" but a few are larger. They originate from East Asia but have spread to tropics around the world. They have very long, spindly terminal legs. Here is one with high red markings:

IMG_20200807_215319.jpg

And here is rather striking variety called "metallic" or "lowland jewel":

IMG_20201008_121708.jpg

Scolopendra morsitans originates from Africa, but has spread out to the world's tropics too. It tends to have a trigger pattern with a red, black or brown head, but there are many insane colour patterns particularly in Australia and South Africa. They have relatively thick and squared terminals, with a ridge running along the first two segments, which is more prominent in males than females, making it one of the few sexually dimorphic species of scolopendra.

I don't have any photos of morsitans to include but you can find a ton by searching back on this forum. Same goes for subspinipes, but obviously a lot of what is labelled a subspinipes is actually dehaani, especially if it is older.

Can't help you with venom. I am not a toxicologist nor someone who enjoys finding out what it feels like!

Attachments

Last edited:

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
Calling Coyote Peterson....
hes made it clear he's "dEaThLy AfRaId Of ThEm"... Its really sad to see him go and act as if hes dying in every video simply for the views (not caring about spreading fear), then rewrite the schmidt pain index, and yet he refuses to investigate pede bites. I lost my respect for him after his scolopendra heros video...

Conor10

Arachnoknight
I know, he does it more for the views than for the science of Pede venom.