What are springtails actually up to?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Got springtails in one of my roach colonies and in the ootheca incubator... That one especially is FULL of springtails! If I'd get as many roach hatchlings in that incubator as I get springtail hatchlings within a short time a tidal wave of roaches would reach the furtherst corners of our planet! :eek:

They're not on the oothecas at all and I've never seen them on the roaches so I havn't worried, but I'm curious what they actually eat and if they are benefial in some way.

Tried searching, found no conclusive info.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They seem to feed on detritus and decaying plant material . . . roach leftovers, perhaps. Near as anyone can tell (from what I've heard) they're beneficial if anything. But only as cleanup crews.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They're mostly harmless, more of an annoyance than anything I'd say.

I get them occasionally in my orchid potting medium if its kept too moist for too long. They seem to thrive on fungus/decaying material and moisture. Not sure how moist your roach containers are, but drying them out a tad might help a little if they're annoying to ya.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
They're mostly harmless, more of an annoyance than anything I'd say.

I get them occasionally in my orchid potting medium if its kept too moist for too long. They seem to thrive on fungus/decaying material and moisture. Not sure how moist your roach containers are, but drying them out a tad might help a little if they're annoying to ya.
The funny thing is: the main container is completely dry, besides what moisture it gets from the fresh fruit I put in there every few days. The ooteca incubator is very moist though.

Good to hear about what they eat. It puts any doubts at rest that they might somehow be a danger for the babies.

Hop my springies, hop! :}

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you're still wondering what they're actually up to...

...apparrently, they're having massive amounts of sex.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My theory is they are dormant in the substrate until the right conditions come around. They never do any harm from what I see. Had a ton of them in a tank with a mom and scorplings and they didn't cause no problem... bothered me more than her I think lol.