What are some tarantulas that have a rugged appearance?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Theraphosa blondi tarantulas always seem to have missing hair or scar-like markings on their carapace and legs (I'm not referring to abdomen bald spots from kicking hairs). I think it looks awesome. Are there any other tarantulas that have this?

Attachments

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Theraphosa blondi tarantulas always seem to have missing hair or scar-like markings on their carapace and legs (I'm not referring to abdomen bald spots from kicking hairs). I think it looks awesome. Are there any other tarantulas that have this?
That's one of the things that I dislike the most about T. blondi/stirmi lol.

It seems like most terrestrial species, especially obligate burrowers, look like this eventually, until they molt again.

awiec

Arachnoprince
The African baboons like p.muticus get a similar look but also have big beefy legs to go with it. Pamphos get a similar look as well but I certainly prefer the animals to look clean as being "battered" could indicate some stress

Walker253

Arachnobaron
yeah, like that. totally awesome. i really wish king baboons weren't so vicious and didnt like to hide so much. i probably wont ever get one myself for those reasons.
I wouldn't call them vicious. She isn't backing down, but she is easy to work with. She will stand her ground and throw her tantrum, but she isn't running across the tank or up the tongs to bite me like an OBT might. I also have her tank set up so I can see her in her hole. I respect her and I never want to get bit by her (I wouldn't want to get bit by a full grown T blondi or stirmi either). She is the corner stone of my collection.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Peanut. Peanut is (and will remain forever) at the top, like a legendary gunslinger :-s

basin79

ArachnoGod
My Goddess PBUH the day I got her. She looked very "rugged".

Much prefer my T's to look "box fresh".

awiec

Arachnoprince
yeah, like that. totally awesome. i really wish king baboons weren't so vicious and didnt like to hide so much. i probably wont ever get one myself for those reasons.
Honestly they are a pretty good starter ow since they keep to themselves generally and are very hardy. They grow at the speed of dirt but they are reasonably priced and easy to find.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I wouldn't call them vicious. She isn't backing down, but she is easy to work with. She will stand her ground and throw her tantrum, but she isn't running across the tank or up the tongs to bite me like an OBT might. I also have her tank set up so I can see her in her hole. I respect her and I never want to get bit by her (I wouldn't want to get bit by a full grown T blondi or stirmi either).
She is the corner stone of my
collection.
And don't forget ridiculously gorgeous ;)

basin79

ArachnoGod
Sold my Goddess. She'd stay in her burrow to the extent of not eating. After ages I pushed a roach down and made it go to her. She pounced.

No idea if they're all like this but I honestly think my lass would have starved to death.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Honestly theyIare a pretty good starter ow since they keep to themselves generally and are very hardy. They grow at the speed of dirt but they are reasonably priced and easy to find.
Easy to find...not so much around here unfortunately. But i got lucky, and someone had a large sling for sale. For a first OW not too bad like @Walker253 says. Just be prepared for the tantrum when housing it. But not flighty, for which I was grateful. Slow, deliberate movements, threatening and slapping, but not racing or climbing in my tongs.

Even though my heart was racing, I found that easier to deal with than my zippy and defensive P.pulcher who seems dead set on always running towards me when rehousing :eek:

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
You're looking for a P muticus. They are basically the old world variant of theraphosa in size color and appearance.
Way better looking IMO without the hairs
AND THEY HISS!!!

awiec

Arachnoprince
Easy to find...not so much around here unfortunately. But i got lucky, and someone had a large sling for sale. For a first OW not too bad like @Walker253 says. Just be prepared for the tantrum when housing it. But not flighty, for which I was grateful. Slow, deliberate movements, threatening and slapping, but not racing or climbing in my tongs.

Even though my heart was racing, I found that easier to deal with than my zippy and defensive P.pulcher who seems dead set on always running towards me when rehousing :eek:
P.muticus tantrums don't bother me one bit, I have to deal with T.gigas tantrums on a regular basis. At least with P.muticus it can be corralled into a cup instead of having to peel it off the ceiling.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Theraphosa hiss too man...

stirmi fanboy out
Hmm didn't know. I've never owned a theraphosa and I probably never will.

To me it's one of the ugliest sp. And the hairs from my nhandu are bad enough. I don't need to get a stirmi just to say I have a big spider. They just done appeal to me

BobBarley

Arachnoprince

To me it's one of the ugliest sp. And the hairs from my nhandu are bad enough. I don't need to get a stirmi just to say I have a big spider. They just done appeal to me
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder...

awiec

Arachnoprince

I was thinking about picking one up since they are interesting but that ended when I started to become sensitive to lasidora hairs. I instead just keep pamphos, which still deliver the "big cat" attitude but I think are much more attractive and less severe hairs. Though I would say that the big legged African baboons will start becoming more prominent in my collection once I can't handle hairs anymore as they are very handsome to me.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
P.muticus tantrums don't bother me one bit, I have to deal with T.gigas tantrums on a regular basis. At least with P.muticus it can be corralled into a cup instead of having to peel it off the ceiling.
I am SO lucky my T.violaceus isn't defensive (except for rehouses), she will just bolt and (eventually) pick a spot to hide. :D