What are some lessons in the hobby you had to learn the hard way?

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Some new worlds are more of a pain in the butt than many old worlds. Sometimes it's better to get multiple of one species than many different ones. Don't spend too much on one sling. Sometimes you gotta wait for the species you want because you can find deals, but sometimes if you wait too long you'll miss out. Check on your slings often, twice a week or more. Don't use these containers https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/JZYAAOSwQOpevNqD/s-l1600.jpg

quirinus

Arachnoknight
silicone needs to dry out for some days before you can use an exo terra lid again after changing the mesh to acryl......

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
If you remove the handles from the lids of the mini/small Exo Terra faunariums then tape over the holes underneath the slots from the inside or the occupant will do a runner.

If something isn't broke then don't "fix" it.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
To don't attemp things before reading or learning enough info.

IMG_20180804_014507.jpg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
A mod sliding into my DM is 99% never gonna be good news. :zipit:

Label your tarantulas after rehousing.

Darth Vehl

Arachnopeon
Never use "Critter Keepers" especially on slings, two of mine scaped. One survived but the other one was found dead in the bathroom of my house.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
1. Dehydration - There was one month where I glimpsed into the water dish of my adult female g. porteri, and thought she had water thanks to a reflection off the enclosure, but she didn't, so I didn't realize she was dehydrated until she was seriously "off". I was able to get her rehydrated in time, and she's totally fine now, but the discoordination of a really thirsty tarantula is disconcerting.

2. Rehousing - To touch on the one others have already mentioned... Catch cup, yes, even though I always panic too much to use one effectively, but I'd advocate for a rehousing "bucket" big enough to hold both enclosures--the old and new--so you have a better chance of catching the escape artist from within a confined space.

Those are just the lessons learned the harder way, but haven't lost a t yet *KNOCK ON WOOD*

joossa

Arachnobaron
For me, it was keeping enclosures adequately moist during dry and cold winter months. I lost several slings to bad molts last winter because of this.
What slings ended up having issues, if you don't mind me asking? I have 9 one inch Brachypelma slings and my room's ambient humidity has been dropping into the low 20's in the day and I'm getting concerned it's too dry.

The only escape I’ve ever had was from one of these
Is the little latch on the lid the concern? What is the issue?

8 legged

Arachnoprince
...to accept that you are not always in control and can influence everything.

What slings ended up having issues, if you don't mind me asking? I have 9 one inch Brachypelma slings and my room's ambient humidity has been dropping into the low 20's in the day and I'm getting concerned it's too dry.

I keep all small slings a little more humid, no matter what time of year. In the worst case scenario, they dry out far too quickly.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince

Yup the latch

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't buy WC spiders, there's no way of knowing how old they are and whether they're healthy. I had gotten a WC Aphonopelma, about 4+". For the first two years, it ate ok. Then it molted. Ate a few times and then just stopped eating for up to 2 YEARS before I finally found it, curled up in a corner, unresponsive. Most likely a very old female at the end of her lifespan. Will buy only CB slings or juvies from here on out.