What are some lessons in the hobby you had to learn the hard way?

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
For me, it was keeping enclosures adequately moist during dry and cold winter months. I lost several slings to bad molts last winter because of this. However, I learned from it and changed my husbandry. What are some difficult lessons you had to learn in your journey through the hobby?

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
This might not be as huge as some other things you’ll find on this thread but mine, as of right now, is “keep a catch cup on hand at all times”.

when I first got my Brachy, I was like “nah, this is easy, it’s only 2 inches so I’ll just nudge it into its new enclosure and it’ll be fine”
NOPE.
It yeeted itself out of its shipping container, across my hand, and into the XL aquarium I was doing the rehousing in. I didn’t have a catch cup nearby so I had to put the top on the mostly empty aquarium with just the new enclosure inside and go find one.

fun fact, that’s also the first time I ever heard spider feet when they moved.

When I say “across my hand and into the aquarium”, my hand was already in the aquarium and only an inch and a half or so from the bottom. It had enough room to reach from the side of my hand down to the floor, so it wasn’t like it fell or anything.
But that was the day I learned that catch cups are my friend and not to use the “poke & pray” method of rehousing a freshly shipped spider.

magouilles

Arachnoknight
never. trust. any. tarantula.
I was rehousing my T.albo a couple months ago and she's usually very calm and slow and I was not prepared for what she did, I only poked her back leg with a brush for her to go inside the cup and she bit the brush insanely fast and jumped out of her enclosure (i've had her for years and literally never saw her moving this fast) and I nearly got biten when she bit the brush
however I understood pretty quickly that she mistook the brush for food because she calmly returned to her old enclosure but it surely made me alot more cautious during interactions even if they're usually really slow😂
i knew it in my brain that ts can mistake things for food but idk that experience really stamped that fact into my head

Anandi

Arachnopeon
They don't need constant attention. No matter how much you want to give to them.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
never underestimate how far a big greedy a genic can/will lunge at anything that moves thinking its food :embarrassed:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There was nothing I learned the hard way.

A couple of Avics “learned” the hard way when I first started keeping Avic

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I learned the hard way that a tarantula can fit through little holes. Had an escapee, I found it on the ceiling.

cold blood

Staff member
Shipping is expensive.
Simply buy during the warmer months and opt for the 2-4 day shipping. Another is that if you order from someone within a state away, utilize fed ex ground....fraction of the cost and usually arrives over night.

Things I learned...overnight shipping isn't superior, just more expensive as long as conditions are good.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Simply buy during the warmer months and opt for the 2-4 day shipping. Another is that if you order from someone within a state away, utilize fed ex ground....fraction of the cost and usually arrives over night.

Things I learned...overnight shipping isn't superior, just more expensive as long as conditions are good.
so true, easy way to save money, most people think overnight is the only way but if temps are fine they can survive a long time in a paper towel hole.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Easy......never 100% trust what you are buying at an exotic pet show by vendors you never heard of.

Bought a .5 G. pulchra for $50 patting myself on the back for finally getting one and for cheaper.

Yeah......it's now a 3.5 inch dls unmistakable T. albopilosus.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel

That's good to know but what about the LAG from the breeder? Usually LAG is only offered for expedited shipping like overnight.

I would think the reputable breeders you wouldn't have to worry about a T showing up dead. However it is a possibility then a person would just be s.o.l.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
That's good to know but what about the LAG from the breeder? Usually LAG is only offered for expedited shipping like overnight.

I would think the reputable breeders you wouldn't have to worry about a T showing up dead. However it is a possibility then a person would just be s.o.l.
I don’t think this should be done with any old breeder/supplier - but I can see it being worked out with a few specific ones and still having a LAG.

edit: you’d have to work any potential LAG for longer shipping out with the aforementioned few breeders, not that it’s offered outright

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I don’t think this should be done with any old breeder/supplier - but I can see it being worked out with a few specific ones and still having a LAG.

edit: you’d have to work any potential LAG for longer shipping out with the aforementioned few breeders, not that it’s offered outright
Most reputable breeders offer LAG only on overnight or next day with some breeders as they want their animals to arrive safe and alive.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Most reputable breeders offer LAG only on overnight or next day with some breeders as they want their animals to arrive safe and alive.
That’s why I’m saying you could likely work it out. I can think of at least one off the top of my head that might be open to the idea.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
That’s why I’m saying you could likely work it out. I can think of at least one off the top of my head that might be open to the idea.
Yeah it probably could be worked out.

Me personally I do not care what overnight cost as I want the least amount of shipping time involved as I care very much for my animals.

I have them shipped and held at the FedEx shipping center. FedEx always and I mean always delivers to my house in the evening with everything else non T related. I don't want my T's on that stupid truck all day bouncing around lol.

However shipping is cheaper if I order from the local breeder in the next state so there is that.

cold blood

Staff member

Some will offer LAG even if most don't. I always offer it under good conditions...why? Because I am confident in my packing ability.