What are some good ways to pick tarantulas of all sizes?

Kelly Fornez

Arachnopeon
hey guys over the course of the passed 6 or 7 months I've been sending and receiving a ton of more tarantulas. I rarely get to go to shows so lately I have been buying, selling and trading mostly online. I've shipped out I'd say 20-25 tarantula packages myself and even though none have ever arrived dead I don't pack tarantulas the cleanest. What are some of the best methods on packing slings up to full grown terriestrails? Sorry for the typo i meant pack not pick XD!!

Last edited by a moderator:

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Given, I have never packaged any invert to ship. I have seen and recieved packages though, and all very very successful. Guessing you're talking about the actual T transport, not box packaging. If you can get a container with holesmaybe an inch or so bigger than the T (for bigger juvies/adults) length wise and even width wise, then you pack all sides with lightly damp paper towel. Then, when you nudge the T into the box, put a thin layer of paper towel over it and then snap the lid. From what I have seen, you want the T to be snug but not to where it can't move at all. For slings, you can do the same thing but with a small test tube. Get the sling it the bottom and push a nice chunk of moist paper towel in the entrance. That way, the sling is tight in the small test tube and won't be flung all over the place :D Do take this with a grain of salt though, this is just what I've seen in vids and my own arrived packages ;)

Kelly Fornez

Arachnopeon
Given, I have never packaged any invert to ship. I have seen and recieved packages though, and all very very successful. Guessing you're talking about the actual T transport, not box packaging. If you can get a container with holesmaybe an inch or so bigger than the T (for bigger juvies/adults) length wise and even width wise, then you pack all sides with lightly damp paper towel. Then, when you nudge the T into the box, put a thin layer of paper towel over it and then snap the lid. From what I have seen, you want the T to be snug but not to where it can't move at all. For slings, you can do the same thing but with a small test tube. Get the sling it the bottom and push a nice chunk of moist paper towel in the entrance. That way, the sling is tight in the small test tube and won't be flung all over the place :D Do take this with a grain of salt though, this is just what I've seen in vids and my own arrived packages ;)
I do these steps but sometimes I receive packaging with shipping that puts mine to shame. I was wondering how do people get tarantulas bundled up so nicely in paper towel and it's like you take them out of a cocoon when you receive them. I'd like to learn how to package like that.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I do these steps but sometimes I receive packaging with shipping that puts mine to shame. I was wondering how do people get tarantulas bundled up so nicely in paper towel and it's like you take them out of a cocoon when you receive them. I'd like to learn how to package like that.
Oh, got it. My only guess is that they prepare the rolled up paper towels in vials, escot the T inside, then plug it up. Sorry, don't know much beyond that :D

cold blood

Staff member
Quick tutorial. Smaller ones are on a smaller scale, larger ones are just on a larger scale...same thing pretty much though.

How much paper towel you use will depend on each individual size, you want the container to be holding the toweling snugly.

20170410_141009.jpg
Fold to size and make sure the bottom is padded.
20170410_141040.jpg
Lightly spray down and then roll it in something that has the diameter needed for the individual t...cold weather I dampen less, hotter I tend to dampen more...but some, like baboons, you don't want to over moisten.

The rest should be self explanatory.
20170410_141125.jpg

20170410_141139.jpg

20170410_141226.jpg

20170410_141257.jpg

20170410_141312.jpg

20170410_141843.jpg

20170410_142143.jpg

20170410_142105.jpg

Last edited:

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey guys over the course of the passed 6 or 7 months I've been sending and receiving a ton of more tarantulas. I rarely get to go to shows so lately I have been buying, selling and trading mostly online. I've shipped out I'd say 20-25 tarantula packages myself and even though none have ever arrived dead I don't pack tarantulas the cleanest. What are some of the best methods on packing slings up to full grown terriestrails? Sorry for the typo i meant pack not pick XD!!
Step 1. Choose box

Step 2. Lay shallow layer of shredded paper material in box.

Step 3. Choose paper bag

Step 4. Package sling into damp paper
towel, not too damp! Just slightly, refer to cold bloods post for towel wizardry

Step 5. Use a needle to poke 2 to 3 holes in pill vial lid.

Step 6. Carefully insert sling into pill vial.

Step 7. Place pill vial into paper bag, label

Step 8. Roll paper bag as per a joint, tape with scotch tape.

Step 9. Place into box

Step 10. Use heat thingies if needed

Step 11. Fill remaining space of box with shredded paper material, use as much as possible, the denser, the better.