What are some good pet snakes?

Simandoalover

Arachnopeon
Recently I have been looking into getting another snake. I have a western Hognose and I’m getting a Kenyan sand boa from my friend because she can no longer keep it. So I’ve been wondering about good pet snakes that are very handleable, not super expensive, and are good for people at a beginner to moderate level. Any ideas?

basement pets

Arachnosquire
well, I'm sure you've probably heard this one but, corn snakes are pretty cool. they are inexpensive for most morphs and they don't require too much room. I haven't had mine for too long but so far I'm loving it!

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Well, there's the ubiquitous ball python. They are usually easily handled, normal and some of the older morphs are relatively inexpensive, and they are pretty easy to care for. Children's and anthill pythons are newer species that people are working with that stay small, are hardy, and not too pricey. There's also a whole host of colubrids (king snakes, milk snakes, corn snakes, etc) that fit your description and come in a wide range of affordable colors and patterns.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Children's and anthill pythons are newer species that people are working with that stay small, are hardy, and not too pricey.
Anthill pythons will run you $1000 plus. Stimsons pythons are maybe what you meant. Another good Ausie snake would be a woma. If you get a young one and handle it they are supper trustworthy. If you only interact with it at meals times it will try to eat your hand.

Ball pythons are cool snakes but you need to research them pretty well first in my opinion. If your husbandry is off or you stress them by over handling they can go on hunger strikes for months.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Anthill pythons will run you $1000 plus. Stimsons pythons are maybe what you meant.
Bingo, got my Antaresia sp mixed up. I'm sure they'll eventually come down in price like all the other Australian pythons and be a good beginner/intermediate species.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Look into Rosy boas, tri-colored milksnakes, and possibly kingsnakes, all are great pets, most aren't too expensive, and are easy to care for.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Mine was easy -- my Uncle Darrell loved snakes as a teenager and he died at age 19 in 1957 (hope I have age/date correct).
So my snake is named Darrell. Made it sort personal and helps sort of honour someone who died so young. Keeps his love of snakes alive, I guess.

Of course, the silly part of me wants another ball python to also name Darrell just so I can say "this is my snake Darrell and this is my other snake Darrell." ;)

Last edited: