What are some good hides you guys like to use?

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I've used driftwood, sake cups, soy sauce containers, broken mugs, etc but I only like cork bark and cholla (only for desert creatures tho)

Cork bark is super easy to work with. I can glue pieces together to make whatever shape I want, cut it with anything I have in the house, drill it easily, etc. It's great.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Half of my spiders have actual ceramic half logs, the others have plastic cups cut in half. We have approximately 3856289 plastic cups lying around so I like repurposing them when I can.
I did the half plastic cup as a temporary fix for my P sazimai when I first had her, until I could get more cork bark. She made good use of the cup. And never used the cork bark, at least in the way I intended!

MJInsoCal

Arachnopeon
Thoughts on clear hides? You can see it, but it feels safe? Take a clear tub and cut it in half.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I have access to a variety of sizes of heavy cardboard tubes, down to about 1.5" diameter. I cut into semicircle, bury in substrate and dig down a bit in the mouth. Makes great burrows for slings. I have always heard there are issues with clay/terracotta as moisture in the substrate will wick up into the pot and when it dries can release salts or whatever is in your water. The wetness on the hard surface is also a potential mold source.

Pepper

Arachnosquire
I have access to a variety of sizes of heavy cardboard tubes, down to about 1.5" diameter. I cut into semicircle, bury in substrate and dig down a bit in the mouth. Makes great burrows for slings. I have always heard there are issues with clay/terracotta as moisture in the substrate will wick up into the pot and when it dries can release salts or whatever is in your water. The wetness on the hard surface is also a potential mold source.
I have never used cardboard as it contains probably-toxic glue and breaks down quickly when wet. You dont have these issues?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I have never used cardboard as it contains probably-toxic glue and breaks down quickly when wet. You dont have these issues?
no issues, these are heavy duty, small and used for wrapping labels in printing. I only use them for slings so they are temporary housing. I have had no ill effects to date. The glue used in cardboards is cellulose based (which is why it can feed roaches for years)

Couple examples where you can see the mini tubes. No worry of collapse this way. Boehmi in square is just under an inch. Verdezi (in hide) in Critter keeper about 1.5" and it has moved a lot of dirt. The cave used to have a flat top above it. Most is now in the foreground

Attachments