What are some good hides you guys like to use?

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I'm not CRAZY about cork bark unless its previously carved out...which is hard to find at the right sizes. I do use them for my slings and juvies and sometimes "scape" the bigger pieces.

I do like the coconut huts.

Have never used a broken flower pot but know that is also an option.

I wish there was more options for arachnids...

Definitely missing a ton...

What do YOU guys use as hides?

Edit: Bought a couple of Exo Terra breeder boxes and am looking for options to finally make some pretty setups now that some spiders have outgrown or are outgrowing their AMACs!

Last edited:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Mine may not apply to tarantulas but here are what I use with my frogs:

Cork bark
Manzanita wood
Mopani wood
Leaf litter
Coco huts
Seru pods
Jungle pods
Buddha nuts/pods/pots

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I use drift wood and stuff I find a lot.
Otherwise, the typical fake plants and corkbark.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Cork bark all the way here. You can find all different shapes and sizes. Cork rounds can be cut to size. I never ran into the problem of needing something other than cork bark.

I do use some fake vines and leaves from time to time also.

I use drift wood and stuff I find a lot.
Otherwise, the typical fake plants and corkbark.
I recently found a 6 foot long x 2 foot wide piece of driftwood. Took me 1 hour to drag it to the truck from the beach lol. Was super heavy and still wet.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
2437A8E6-41CB-4E92-A1F5-148CA6AE44C5.jpeg
I like things to look somewhat natural, so a lot of the hides that I use will be some type of bark. This hide is black walnut bark.

31B0AD9F-3EF5-45FE-BF4D-5258B0C0C684.jpeg

CorkBark is my primary “GoTo” for hide material, its just hard to beat.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
clay pots are great if you break them in half.
I've considered them but never used them. Id imagine the broken part to be vety jagged. Id hate for my spood to dig some and get "slashed" lol!...

Do you prep them at all? e.g. sanding?

fried rice

Arachnoknight
I've considered them but never used them. Id imagine the broken part to be vety jagged. Id hate for my spood to dig some and get "slashed" lol!...

Do you prep them at all? e.g. sanding?
Yes, they are safe if you use sand paper to make them smooth.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
View attachment 354993
I like things to look somewhat natural, so a lot of the hides that I use will be some type of bark. This hide is black walnut bark.

View attachment 354994

CorkBark is my primary “GoTo” for hide material, its just hard to beat.
Both look sweet..but 2 questions!

How is the black walnut a "hide"?

That piece of cork is gorgeous but I always read about hides not having bottoms! 🤔

Yes, they are safe if you use sand paper to make them smooth.
Figured. Thanks! Will pick up some a long with sand paper next time I visit Home Depot!

Cork bark all the way here. You can find all different shapes and sizes. Cork rounds can be cut to size. I never ran into the problem of needing something other than cork bark.

I do use some fake vines and leaves from time to time also.

I recently found a 6 foot long x 2 foot wide piece of driftwood. Took me 1 hour to drag it to the truck from the beach lol. Was super heavy and still wet.
Dragging ANYTHING on a beach is a workout!!!

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I have driftwood, cork rounds and nut pods for the rehouse project. I hear you on sizing, I bought medium bark which is way too big for my T’s, so I’ll be cutting and hot gluing pieces to try to get something appealing. Most of my T’s are arboreal, so cork bark, drift wood and nut pods just seems more ideal for me. Plus I like the visual of the textures of those materials.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Gumtree bark and sticks all the way. Rock hard, but naturally forms in really cool shapes with a variety of textures depending on the species. Here's a bunch of my recent setups using various pieces of it
20200728_175845.jpg 20200723_172501.jpg 20200722_223511.jpg 20200717_075639.jpg 20200715_122819.jpg 20200715_122747.jpg 20200714_140422.jpg 20200711_173304.jpg 20200711_140314.jpg

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I'm really appreciating the visuals guys!

Lots of different ways to use woods!

Something I can also come back to!

Thank you all so far :)

Pepper

Arachnosquire
I will say those half-cylinders of bored-out wood with some stringy bark on them that you can get from petsmart etc are prone to mold.

I dont see a reason to use anything but cork bark. For my desert scorpions, i pre start a hide hole and provide whatever my non artistic self can mold out of a little clay. FYI you can get bulk discounts on cork bark and other stuff at reptilesupplyco.com

auskie

Arachnosquire
I like to use fake buildings and huts from the pet store aquarium section.

Screenshot_20200811-004948.png

fried rice

Arachnoknight
It does look nice, but I agree with moricollins. The height of those will prevent you from having enough substrate. There should be 3-4 inches of height in a terrestrial tarantula enclosure.

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight
Mangrove roots are good options. It is hard to find one in the US??

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Half of my spiders have actual ceramic half logs, the others have plastic cups cut in half. We have approximately 3856289 plastic cups lying around so I like repurposing them when I can.