What are some good heavy webbing beginner species?

Tarantulanest

Arachnopeon
I want something that webs a LOT but not sure what species to go for, I know caribena versicolor's are decent Webbers but I have a sling already. Any suggestions?

ForTW

Arachnobaron
Chromatopelma cyanopubescence

Chylobrachys sp.

Harpactira pulchripes

Two of them are considered "advanced" but i can't guess of anything difficult there.

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
Chylobrachys Chilobrachys sp.
Fixed that for you ;)

I would say a Chilobrachys (OW) is too fast and their venom is a little intense for a "beginner" species.
But GBBs, N incei, D diamantinensis as Tarantuland mentioned are great. (GBB's the most beginner level species of the three IMO)
H pulchripes would be a great heaving webbing beginner OW.

Last edited:

olivianicole

Arachnopeon
Everyone is forgetting about M. balfouri! Love my juvie. They’re a fast terrestrial OW and may not be beginner friendly for that reason, but their care is relatively simple and they love to web up the enclosure. Definitely more forgiving than H. pulchripes or any chilobrachys sp.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, Neoholothele incei

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
Everyone is forgetting about M. balfouri! Love my juvie. They’re a fast terrestrial OW and may not be beginner friendly for that reason, but their care is relatively simple and they love to web up the enclosure. Definitely more forgiving than H. pulchripes or any chilobrachys sp.
while i don’t think M. balfouri is a beginner-beginner species i do think they’re definitely a good beginner-OW species for people with prior tarantula experience and outside of my beloved Ceratogryus genus i recommend them a lot to those that can afford them - they’re definitely some prodigious web slingers and while there hasn’t been too much research on their venom, at present, it seems more mild comparative to other baboon species

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
While I don't have experience with said species (yet), the one best suitable for a beginner is Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, the Green Bottle Blue. They seem quite hardy if you keep them dry like you would the Brachypelma/Grammostola genera. For that reason alone, it puts them at the forefront for me. No need to worry about moisture aside the water dish and what they get in their food. One negative (if that) I hear is that they can be a bit skittish and flighty, also seems they can be a bit flick-happy.

ForTW

Arachnobaron
Fixed that for you ;)

I would say a Chilobrachys (OW) is too fast and their venom is a little intense for a "beginner" species.
Thanks, i was trying too hard to get the GBB right and totally forgot about the Chilobrachys 😅.
They are very shy and recessive. Totally easy IMO, i'd rather be careful with a xenesthis or acanthoscurria.
However, since most mention neoholothele, don't forget heterothele sp. 😉.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
I love how he specifically asked for a heavy webbing beginner and half the responses were ows. Id go with a gbb personally.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Chromatoprlma cyaneopubescens is a stunning species, sometimes overshadowed by the rarity of "newer" ones, but one of the all time classics in my opinion. If you get a sling you can even witness a marvelous transformation of colours.

Widely available and unlike the Caribena versicolor they are very hardy and forgiving when it comes to husbandry mistakes, which is always a plus for beginners.

Also terrestrial spiders are much less hassle to keep when compared to arboreals.

jc55

Arachnoknight
I would say GBB myself but what are you ready for? I was given a OBT sling years ago when i first got into the hobby and it was never defensive or skittish but they are heavy webbers .