What are some good beginner species of centipede

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm considering getting into centipedes. I've owned a s. subspinipes before like 7 years ago but I only had it a few months before I had to sell my entire collection file to living situation. I currently own scorpions and was looking for some recommendations on centipedes. Really fond of the "mint leg" varieties. Anyway any information and recommendations are appreciated!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I really like Scolopendra polymorpha. They're not the biggest out there - but they are usually reasonably priced, are easy to take care of, are beautiful animals, and still attain respectable sizes.

sasker

Arachnoprince
If you are looking for a beginner species, perhaps S. cingulata may be something worth considering. I never kept one myself, but they live here in the wild. Their bite will not land you in the hospital. My sister was bitten by one earlier this year. According to her is was like a wasp sting.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Imports of S. cingulata are rare though here in the US, and most specimens from what I hear don't last for more than a year. I would say S. polymorpha would be by far the best choice as a beginner centipede (they look almost exactly like S. cingulata too unless you get some of the crazier morphs) for the reasons @chanda said. I might also add their venom is very mild, especially compared to the Asian species.
If you can afford it, I hear the big South American species such as gigantea, galapagoensis, and viridicornis can also make good beginner centipedes, although @NYAN and @RTTB would know more about that.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you can afford it, I hear the big South American species such as gigantea, galapagoensis, and viridicornis can also make good beginner centipedes, although @NYAN and @RTTB would know more about that.
Those South American beauties really are amazing - but so expensive! At those prices, I'd be very reluctant to recommend them to anyone who is just starting out with centipedes. While we all try to give our animals the best possible care to ensure that they have long, healthy lives, there sometimes is a bit of a learning curve - and if you're going to make mistakes, better to do so with a $10 or $20 centipede than with a $200 or $300 (or $500 or more!) centipede!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Those South American beauties really are amazing - but so expensive! At those prices, I'd be very reluctant to recommend them to anyone who is just starting out with centipedes. While we all try to give our animals the best possible care to ensure that they have long, healthy lives, there sometimes is a bit of a learning curve - and if you're going to make mistakes, better to do so with a $10 or $20 centipede than with a $200 or $300 (or $500 or more!) centipede!
Exactly, which is why I said if you can afford it, ha ha. Definitely better to do a trial run with a $15 specimen over a $300 one for sure.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

sasker

Arachnoprince
most specimens from what I hear don't last for more than a year.
That makes sense. You find them here as small ones in spring and big ones in autumn. I don't think they survive the winter here. They are great creatures and I would love to raise one. The problem is that my wife is scared of them, which is strange because she is fine with my OW tarantulas. Women ey... :D

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Take a look at Scolopendra longipes as well.Neat species.

Tanaksaes

Arachnopeon
Ethmostigmus trigonopodus extremely docile pedes and seems to tolerate handling the most compared to other species.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
I recently picked up a captive bred baby Scolopendra mutilans. So far it's been so easy to keep. Doubled in size in a month!

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
That makes sense. You find them here as small ones in spring and big ones in autumn. I don't think they survive the winter here. They are great creatures and I would love to raise one. The problem is that my wife is scared of them, which is strange because she is fine with my OW tarantulas. Women ey... :D
European S. cingulata do overwinter for sure. They take several years to mature and live several more as adults. I have WC adult from Albania for almost two years and dont expect it to die soon.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Scolopendra polymorpha or if you got that cash, Scolopendra gigantea "white legs".