What are some fun “non-hot” species to keep?

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I’m trying to expand my scorpion collection a bit in the future. I’ve kept various Paravaejovis spp. as well as Smeringurus and some of the less potent Centruroides, but I do tend to steer away from most other buthids because of their toxicity. Are there any other Buthidae spp. that have a more mild sting similar to Centruroides gracilis for example? It seems like most of the exotic scorps in the hobby lie in this family.

ignithium

Arachnoknight
I’m trying to expand my scorpion collection a bit in the future. I’ve kept various Paravaejovis spp. as well as Smeringurus and some of the less potent Centruroides, but I do tend to steer away from most other buthids because of their toxicity. Are there any other Buthidae spp. that have a more mild sting similar to Centruroides gracilis for example? It seems like most of the exotic scorps in the hobby lie in this family.
Anything from genus Chaerilus, Compsobuthus, Pseudolychas, Orthochirus, Teruelius.

Next level up can have Babycurus or Uroplectes.

Outside of Androctonus, Parabuthus, and Hottentotta even the hottest of scorpions are really relaxed combined with their poor mobility relative to other invertebrates makes it difficult to get stung.....I have somewhere a video of me free handling L. quinquestriatus and T. serrulatus, in fact with some species like T. mana it is almost literally impossible to be stung -- you can hold the scorpion in the palm of your hand, close your hand and crush it to death and it still will not try to sting you, so personally i feel this makes the hotness quite relative.

Babycurus and Uroplectes are beautiful genuses but if you want something truly harmless the first row that i mentioned is the way to go, Teruelius grandideri is a very attractive species looks like a miniature Androctonus gonneti. If black is not your style, there's Mesobuthus macmahoni -- white translucent species. Or Nebo whitei....their hemotoxic venom absolutely destroys rodents, but has no effect on primates.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
maybe hadogenes species (flat rock scorpion). But they are very slow growing and hide a lot so wouldn't be much in the way of a "fun species"
How about Hadrurus Arizonensis... they're big, beautiful and live for a long time, plus they are very active and they are native to the USA. Their venom is also less potent than that of centruroides. They do go through a diapause period during the year (hibernation) and will hide in their burrows during this time

GordoOldman

Arachnoknight
I would not say C. gracilis has a mild sting. It definitely is not the most dangerous of stings, but as a large species with potent medically significant venom it is a serious sting to children and elderly.

Hadogenes species are always one I recommend. Large, beautiful, long life spans...and entertaining to watch when set up correctly!

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would not say C. gracilis has a mild sting. It definitely is not the most dangerous of stings, but as a large species with potent medically significant venom it is a serious sting to children and elderly.

Hadogenes species are always one I recommend. Large, beautiful, long life spans...and entertaining to watch when set up correctly!
Right, I suppose I meant gracilis are mild in comparison to most other Buthids.

To be honest I completely forgot about Hadogenes, I think my local pet story actually carries them occasionally so that might be a nice option if they look well set up.