What are slings?

Lance Varden

Arachnopeon
I hear that mentioned alot. I think it means small spiders or newly hatched, but I don't know

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I hear that mentioned alot. I think it means small spiders or newly hatched, but I don't know

Ya pretty close, but its exactly as the other 2 said.. short for spiderlings which means baby spiders.

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is my first post in the T forum (been trolling for awile) but I THINK it's when they have their adult colors or start getting their coloring, for most species this would be in the area of 2"?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is my first post in the T forum (been trolling for awile) but I THINK it's when they have their adult colors or start getting their coloring, for most species this would be in the area of 2"?
Nope...that's juvies

Slings>Juvies>sub-adults>adults

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yup, I pretty much know the basics on this, but I just thought that it may be a good question to get out there to be answered for some of the new people coming through. :p

~Carla~

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Sling = Spiderling
Juvie = Gets adult coloration
Sub-adult = right before molt into maturity.
Adult = Sexually mature.

This is of course all hobby talk, and not really 'official'.

-Sean

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sling = Spiderling
Juvie = Gets adult coloration
Sub-adult = right before molt into maturity.
Adult = Sexually mature.

This is of course all hobby talk, and not really 'official'.

-Sean

I don't think the right definition for Adult is sexually mature, because there are some Ts that have been bred at sizes that are thought to have been sub-adults and yet bred anyway. Of course, this can all depend on the individual T itself.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think this thread gets too much attention. It seems the question asked has been answered as well as it could be.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I think this thread gets too much attention. It seems the question asked has been answered as well as it could be.
There's nothing wrong with debating. There was more then one question involved, and posting comments like the above is quite pointless. :)

You're right Novak. A tarantula does not have to be full grown to be sexually mature, but I don't see why the term can't be used in that way. Otherwise, I don't know how you'd officially describe a T as an adult, as legspans vary.

But if you think about it, we're debating terminology that isn't really official, so probably more up to a hobbyists own oppinion I guess.

-Sean

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There's nothing wrong with debating. There was more then one question involved, and posting comments like the above is quite pointless. :)

-Sean
Well, then my life is pointless :8o

Anyway, I wish you would direct your debating toward a more interesting subject. Just a suggestion though :p.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Anyway, I wish you would direct your debating toward a more interesting subject. Just a suggestion though :p.
By all means, post a more interesting topic for debate. Until then, we're just trying to clear up an issue.

-Sean