What an idiot!

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
lol i had a pit bull and a mountain lion in my back yard once does that count?
Ever see a 85 pound pit run from a cat??? luckily the cat wasnt interested in the dog and just trucked on thru the yard. He attacked everything that set foot in the yard but that cat,the back yard was a cayote grave yard....
but i really am suprized any T could take a good sized pede..... i mean i could see a S. ploymorpha getting taken by a large T but ...a 8 inch pede can take down almost any T usuallt id think

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
May I ask, what type of pede was it and how big was it?

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
not forgetting, T. Apophysis are even more expensive, that was almost a $100+ snack for the centipede, and still might end up being a $100+ casualty

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
May I ask, what type of pede was it and how big was it?
i am not really sure. I was not there when he did his misdeed. But he told me around 7 to 8 inch long.

correct name is Scolopendra gigantea

Last edited:

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
are you sure??
I cant be 100% sure. I have not been there when it was home, a shame because i looked forward to see this animal as i never have seen it. But he knows his animals names, though not their tendencies obviously:? he has a lot of tatantulas and know each species pretty well i think. But i cant be sure and i have no photos to show because i was not there ;-(

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I can confirm it was a big Scolopendra gigantea he bought.

And the T seems fine for now and there is no fluids going out of it.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes. But maybe that is a good lesson to take his head out of his a.. and start using it for the future {D

tikbalang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Scolopendra gigantea <- from what i know, this monster cost a fortune. By now, that T.apophysis cost double :)

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!, thatreally is so idiotic its unreal!.. two highly sought after, highly rare in the hobby inverts with only paper... that really shows some incredible lack of knowledge..
Im sorry, but if you can afford, and can have both Sc gigantea, AND T. apophysis.. you SHOULD already know enough about both to know how idiotic a mistake that is..
I really am sorry for my beligerence but i feel so strongly about it.
I adore T. apophysis i have 3 adults 2 sub adults and 5 juvi >sling.
I intend on keeping Sc gigantea, and am looking for one to buy now, i have only 2yrs xp with pedes, de haani, and vietnamese. I only now feel about confident enough to deal with and care for the needs of a centipede that takes longer than us to mature, and grows way bigger than other species.
buy him a big pointy hat with a 'D' on it for that one, lol

I have to admit, it doesnt suprise me the T. apohpysis won.. a month or two after a molt, they are the most savage, hard hitting and quick spiders iv dealt with. iv seen my UltiMale pop the top off a cricket box 'when re-homing' and jump onto my chest.
Its situational though, who clocks who first.. who reacts first.. where they bite, if the spider catches the pedes front, it disables the pede from using its fangs fully. equally, if the pede charged the spider from behind, with a delayed reaction, the pede will win... who encroached on whos territory? who broke through the paper?? and where was the pede consumed?
I inmagine the pede went into apophysis territory...big mistake

Last edited:

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!, thatreally is so idiotic its unreal!.. two highly sought after, highly rare in the hobby inverts with only paper... that really shows some incredible lack of knowledge..
Im sorry, but if you can afford, and can have both Sc gigantea, AND T. apophysis.. you SHOULD already know enough about both to know how idiotic a mistake that is..
I really am sorry for my beligerence but i feel so strongly about it.
I adore T. apophysis i have 3 adults 2 sub adults and 5 juvi >sling.
I intend on keeping Sc gigantea, and am looking for one to buy now, i have only 2yrs xp with pedes, de haani, and vietnamese. I only now feel about confident enough to deal with and care for the needs of a centipede that takes longer than us to mature, and grows way bigger than other species.
buy him a big pointy hat with a 'D' on it for that one, lol

I have to admit, it doesnt suprise me the T. apohpysis won.. a month or two after a molt, they are the most savage, hard hitting and quick spiders iv dealt with. iv seen my UltiMale pop the top off a cricket box 'when re-homing' and jump onto my chest.
Its situational though, who clocks who first.. who reacts first.. where they bite, if the spider catches the pedes front, it disables the pede from using its fangs fully. equally, if the pede charged the spider from behind, with a delayed reaction, the pede will win... who encroached on whos territory? who broke through the paper?? and where was the pede consumed?
I inmagine the pede went into apophysis territory...big mistake
It was the pede who went in to the spider and it was in its cave, as i have been told it had fanged the pede at the head and should have been game over pretty quickly i guess.

I only have a sling Apophysis, but it is fast as hell and jump on everything i give it, even my pincet. I dont ever put my hands in there without pincet, bad idea, it is too aggressive and fast. I have seen this apophysis who ate the pede in action. It is super fast and strikes faster than ANY other tarantula i have seen. But it is also a very exciting spider, and i really take good care of my little sling;-)

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hello thomas, if you don't mind me asking, what type of centipede was it exactly?

thanks
~daniel

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hello thomas, if you don't mind me asking, what type of centipede was it exactly?

thanks
~daniel
Scolopendra gigantea

As previuosly said i was not there, and i have only been told this by my friend. He usually knows what he buys, so i can only asume he has right. If the name is not correct for the species, then i am sorry, but it is the name he gave me.And i dont know much of pedes. I am new to this world and i have just 2 tarantulas( apophysis sling and a Rosie) And i wont ask him to much about it anymore, because i will have a friend less if he knew i was writing this on the internet.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Scolopendra gigantea

As previuosly said i was not there, and i have only been told this by my friend. He usually knows what he buys, so i can only asume he has right. If the name is not correct for the species, then i am sorry, but it is the name he gave me.And i dont know much of pedes. I am new to this world and i have just 2 tarantulas( apophysis sling and a Rosie) And i wont ask him to much about it anymore, because i will have a friend less if he knew i was writing this on the internet.
good uck with raising your T apophysis, theyr a bitch to raise when small.
Sc gigantea reaches rediculous sizes, and is probably the most sought after species available, IMO.

It could well have come to me with a nice home W/O a blooming big spider sharing the enclosure...
if our prepared to splash out lots on an animal you should already have a setup B4. NVM, live and learn though

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanx a lot.

I do my best for little devil;-)

Do you know what the best humidity is for a apophysis sling btw?