what am I?

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what am I?......NEW PIC very large one at that

Was wondering, I got this as a regular pinktoe, what is it, its not like my other pinktoes....its toes are pink though, but the body coloration is different. The pic might turn out small, taint quite figured out my new digi cam.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's a bit hard to see.
But are those like tiger like stripes on the abdomin?

I see the pink toesies.

But honestly I don't know.

I Would Love to see another picture or two as she Looks like a Lovely creature.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If it's a s'ling, could be urticans. How big is it? A larger pic would be most helpful as well. ;)

Atrax

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What is the legspan? It looks to me to be an immature Avicularia avicularia.

Take care,

Paul

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah, much better. LOL!
Well, it does look a bit dark in coloration for my original guess. (urticans) but, being that coloration alone is not a good method for id'ing, especially within the genus Avicularia, I wish you the best of luck on an id.

Atrax

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Shes gorgeous! A Avics dont have striped bums do they ? Crush your cam ? :(

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would have to agree with Paul. We have several baby a.avicularia's and they have had the stripes on the abdomen. Have a great day, Pam

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Like Atrax said I'd go with an Urticans but do to it being hard to I.D T's in the Genus Avicularia all of us may have traveled off the beaten path. But I'm sticking with my Guess.(Urticans)

Ben

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yah I would say its a baby avicularia avicularia...the stripes fade as they get bigger... I have some 3 inchers that still have some light chevrons on their abdomens but they are getting fainter with every molt.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Spider_savior
Shes gorgeous! A Avics dont have striped bums do they ? Crush your cam ? :(
Hi Spider Savior,

I've bred and raised A. avicularia and the babies start out as negatives of their parents, being pink with black toes, and have black chevron marking on their abdomens. They change colors with each molt, but once they mature they lose their chevron markings. The pictured tarantula looks exactly like many of the Avicularia avicularias that I've raised.

These, by the way, are a joy to breed and raise, as they sport a variety of colors as they mature! Beautiful tarantulas and one of my favorites!

Take care,

Paul