What am I

Arachnopal

Arachnopeon
Here in southern Arizona on the Mexican border Arizona Blondes and Oklahoma Browns are very common. This morning while walking my dog I see this little cutie pie walking across the road. Only problem is I have no idea what it is. After hours of research online I found 2 pictures of this T. One site called it an arizona blonde, I wanted to smack them. The other site had no name for the picture.
The little guy is about 2 inches. The picture does not show it but the abdomen is more brownish. Almost the same as Oklahoma Brown. The black backplate (cap.) is confusing me. Who can help me out here????

Last edited:

Arachnopal

Arachnopeon
tibial

Yes it does. My eyesight isnt what it use to be. i opened the kritter keeper and stuck a magnifing glass down in to look. Instant threat pose he held them right up for me to see hahahaha

Arachnopal

Arachnopeon
you guys are good

Bingo you guys called it. Elevations 6000+ Arizona. Shame its a male. A bit fiesty for such a little T. Research says this spider reaches 4 inches but they speak of a dwarf. Since this guy is 2 inches and mature I say dwarf???? Here let me start a discussion I am ignorant about {D

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wouldn't settle on A. behlei as a definite ID. They don't normally range that far south as far as I know. There is another black Aphonopelma in Arizona, and, even aside from that, males have a drastically different appearance from their female and subadult counterparts.

Is it 2" in legspan or in body length? It could very well be a dwarf. ID in that case might be even worse for you.

Your best bet for an ID would be to contact Dr. Brent Hendrixson. Better yet, if you aren't planning on keeping him, send him off to Dr. Hendrixson and help the revision of the genus: http://atshq.org/boards/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10466

Sorry that I don't have an answer for you, but Aphonopelma is a messed up genus. A clear cut ID is next to impossible until the revisions are published.

Arachnopal

Arachnopeon
new pic

ok 2 inches might be to kind lol. was referring to legspan. I put a Quarter in size comparison. I dont think this hooked out male will ever see 4 inches.

Last edited:

Arachnopal

Arachnopeon
was found in the Huachucha Mountains Hereford Arizona estimated elevation 5800 and change

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Oh, wow! He's tiny! I'd love to know what it turns out to be. Hope you can get him to the researcher for more info. I'm with you though, shame it's a little male, but that's so common to find those wondering men...

Marga

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not behlei,to far south in the state.Aphonopelma sp. So much undiscribed stuff in the Sierra Vista area....

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, it's a dwarf species. That's about all I'd feel safe guessing.

VS tyrant

Arachnopeon
I have run across those hiking in southern Arizona a time or two and they are always grumpy.

azgbb

Arachnopeon
i wonder if he's the same species as my AZ dwarf female?!?!?!?!

That would be a fun project.

How could you even hybrid a sp. that is undescribed, especially in a genus that is so effed up.

Arachnopal

Arachnopeon
mystery T

Grumpy is an understatement. Think it might have little dog syndrome ya know how they stand there quivering in fear barking endlessly?
I think i am going to contact Dr. Brent Hendrixson and send this little guy off to him. I think he is cool and the coloring is sweet.... however........Research is more important. Seems to be alot of mystery around this little T inquiring minds want to know. I will email the doctor with a newest pic with the quarter in the morning and make arrangments to ship if he wants it.
I will post a new thread with the ID once it is known

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
Grumpy is an understatement. Think it might have little dog syndrome ya know how they stand there quivering in fear barking endlessly?
I think i am going to contact Dr. Brent Hendrixson and send this little guy off to him. I think he is cool and the coloring is sweet.... however........Research is more important. Seems to be alot of mystery around this little T inquiring minds want to know. I will email the doctor with a newest pic with the quarter in the morning and make arrangments to ship if he wants it.
I will post a new thread with the ID once it is known
It could likely be an A. cochise... Again, with the Aphonopelmas, it's difficult at best to get a clear taxonomy on them, but the specific locality, and elevation DO help. There are a parcel of "Aphonopelma sp. chiricahua" 1/4 " slings for sale at on of the online dealer's websites, but "chiricahua" clearly isn't a described species yet. If I had to vote, I'd still say Aphonopelma cochise (and I don't even think cochise, is a valid or described species as of yet.)

If Dr. Hendrixson isn't interested in taking this little dude off of your hands, I'll gladly relieve you of the burden!{D

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think you'd be better off just letting him go again.