What am I to do?

Leila

Arachnobaron
I've been procrastinating creating this post. I thought I had every aspect of modified care for my tarantulas down, but that is proving to be untrue.

Several of you are aware that my left leg is broken (as of Friday) and in a full cast- from top of the thigh down to my toes. I am a very petite person, so moving about with this cast (and a painful leg) is laborious.

This poses a major problem when it comes to tarantula maintenance. Ponder for a moment if any of my Ts were to make a mad dash out of his/her enclosure- I would be completely unable to retrieve the spider.

Anyway. I currently have my small collection sitting on shelves in the livingroom beside me. I wanted to be able to monitor their water and such. However, there are so many cons to having them in here, such as: the temps can be a bit cooler at times, the room is so darn bright..

Three of my six Ts are slings. This also concerns me, given the conditions are not the best. One of my slings almost darted out of its condiment cup last night when I was adding water. Yikes!

I'm telling ya- it's just unnerving when you are not in control as much. Maintenance is a breeze for me under normal circumstances; but the circumstances are far from normal atm.

Tips anyone? Any ideas how to make this easier, more fool proof, etc? Should I place the slings in larger enclosures so they won't be likely to dart?

I hope this does not sound cold, but I am not looking for sympathy- I just require some assistance with my 8-legged babies.
Thanks! :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I've been procrastinating creating this post. I thought I had every aspect of modified care for my tarantulas down, but that is proving to be untrue.

Several of you are aware that my left leg is broken (as of Friday) and in a full cast- from top of the thigh down to my toes. I am a very petite person, so moving about with this cast (and a painful leg) is laborious.

This poses a major problem when it comes to tarantula maintenance. Ponder for a moment if any of my Ts were to make a mad dash out of his/her enclosure- I would be completely unable to retrieve the spider.

Anyway. I currently have my small collection sitting on shelves in the livingroom beside me. I wanted to be able to monitor their water and such. However, there are so many cons to having them in here, such as: the temps can be a bit cooler at times, the room is so darn bright..

Three of my six Ts are slings. This also concerns me, given the conditions are not the best. One of my slings almost darted out of its condiment cup last night when I was adding water. Yikes!

I'm telling ya- it's just unnerving when you are not in control as much. Maintenance is a breeze for me under normal circumstances; but the circumstances are far from normal atm.

Tips anyone? Any ideas how to make this easier, more fool proof, etc? Should I place the slings in larger enclosures so they won't be likely to dart?

I hope this does not sound cold, but I am not looking for sympathy- I just require some assistance with my 8-legged babies.
Add holes above the waterdishes through which you can push the tip of a syringe for easy watering.

Not sure how long you need to be in the cast?

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
You can get free syringes at any local pharmacy (Heather works in a pharmacy). What species do you have and how cold does it get? What about your mom? Is she able to help or willing to help in any way?

Leila

Arachnobaron
Add holes above the waterdishes through which you can push the tip of a syringe for easy watering.

Not sure how long you need to be in the cast?
6-8 weeks. Then a month of physical therapy to learn to use the leg again.

Nice tip. I should already have a syringe, but I don't.

Meh, everyone keeps telling me to let them know if I need anything. I shall send a friend to the store for a syringe! :rofl:

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I always do sling maintanence in big RUBs so its hard for them to escape if they bolt. I also have water dishes placed under vent holes and use syringe for speedy watering.

Leila

Arachnobaron
You can get free syringes at any local pharmacy (Heather works in a pharmacy). What species do you have and how cold does it get? What about your mom? Is she able to help or willing to help in any way?
Exact temps? No idea really. I know that does not help...sorry. Because I have to guess, I would say the temps range from 70-78??

I hate to ask my mom to do anything else. She is waiting on me hand and foot. As soon as my fiance is back in town in a few weeks, my maintenance concerns will expire, as I know he will help with them, no problem.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That is a long time :eek:!

Alrighty...how long before your fiance comes home? Slings can go two weeks or so without food, longer if they are fat, but watering is important. Yes, I would place them in a bigger tub when you need to open their enclosures. Keep the catch cup in it as well.
I don't know how that is over there, but here I can order the syringes online, that could be an option.

Good luck girl, hope you are better soon! What on earth did you do??:kiss:

Leila

Arachnobaron
I have about 30 crickets for feedings. That won't be a huge issue. I can have someone bring my tools and the crics to me for feedings.

@Andrea82, he will be back in a few weeks. Also, go search for the post 'Broken bones,' and you will get the story (not a very exciting one) and also get to see my casted leg. Lol!!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I have about 30 crickets for feedings. That won't be a huge issue. I can have someone bring my tools and the crics to me for feedings.

@Andrea82, he will be back in a few weeks. Also, go search for the post 'Broken bones,' and you will get the story (not a very exciting one) and also get to see my casted leg. Lol!!
Ah, I think you posted that in the Watering Hole, I can't find it and I'm not a member of that part of the forum. Explains why I didn't know about it in the first place :D

Haemus

Arachnosquire
6-8 weeks. Then a month of physical therapy to learn to use the leg again.

Nice tip. I should already have a syringe, but I don't.

Meh, everyone keeps telling me to let them know if I need anything. I shall send a friend to the store for a syringe! :rofl:
After a molt or two your leg will be good as new :p

I'll pile onto the syringe idea with child syringes. Snip off the needle and use the flexible rubber neck to maneuver into air holes :)

Leila

Arachnobaron
To be clear, those here so far (and those of you to join later) agree that the temps and bright lighting will be okay temporarily? (The tarantulas will go back to their usual, ideal room in 2 to 3 weeks.)

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Got a turkey baster? That's what I water with.
It's a little on the large side for slings, I just use a small empty vial, I then barely fill the bottom with water, that way they don't get overflowed and you can put in the exact amount you require.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

You need syringes with blunt needles to add water. Small holes in strategic places of container to add water. I haven't opened a container in many years to add water. It provides the minimal amount of disturbance, and 100% escape proof as the container is never opened.

A really bright room is a non-issue generally speaking. Never had an issue w/that.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Awwwww! One of my N. chromatus slings molted this morning!!!! :happy: He definitely needs a rehouse in a few days. He has outgrown the 2oz condiment cup.

Also, thanks for the suggestions, everyone :)

boina

Lady of the mites
I can't add anything to the topic at hand, I just wanted to say get better soon!

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Well I don't know how much this will help at all because you have to have a few of the same kind of enclosures to really make this worth while. For me I prefer fast ow arboreals so 32 oz deli cups are make good sling enclosures and I have 2 ts and a handful of true spiders currently housed in these. I took this idea from a few posts where people have installed "feeding tubes" on their enclosures which is really just a hole put into the enclosure and the top of a pill bottle or pop bottle glued on so you can remove the lid and just have a little hole to feed them in. I like the mechanic but not the look of this modification so I made this.

lid.JPG

Sorry for the blurry pic but you can get the general idea, I can put this lid on any of my 32 oz deli enclosures and it makes it a little harder for any escapes. I normally use it for when I need to do some spot cleaning as its generally easier to just drop food in the enclosure then to replace lids and such.

keks

Arachnobaron
At first the important:
@Leila Get well soon :) .

Well I don't know how much this will help at all because you have to have a few of the same kind of enclosures to really make this worth while. For me I prefer fast ow arboreals so 32 oz deli cups are make good sling enclosures and I have 2 ts and a handful of true spiders currently housed in these. I took this idea from a few posts where people have installed "feeding tubes" on their enclosures which is really just a hole put into the enclosure and the top of a pill bottle or pop bottle glued on so you can remove the lid and just have a little hole to feed them in. I like the mechanic but not the look of this modification so I made this.

View attachment 241268

Sorry for the blurry pic but you can get the general idea, I can put this lid on any of my 32 oz deli enclosures and it makes it a little harder for any escapes. I normally use it for when I need to do some spot cleaning as its generally easier to just drop food in the enclosure then to replace lids and such.
Fantastic idea, it prevents not only the escape of the animal, but also the stress by the rather fumble-like opening of the lid :) . This is the reason, why I don't like this enclusures and prefer glass terrariums.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
@Leila The most important thing is to not get NW setae down that cast. :eek:

If your Ts are settled they will likely not try to run out of their homes when you open the enclosure. Do only what you need to feed and water and do basic clean up. Save the rest for when the cast comes off or you have help. Take your time with them and it should be fine.

Get well soon.

Last edited: