What’s your go to program for photo/imagestacking?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Would love to get Photoshop, but it’s out of my price range. Anybody use any good programs that are cheap (or even better, free)?

Thanks in advance

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Gimp is probably the best documented. It can do anything Photoshop does. Pretty severe learning curve quite similar to Photoshop. Freeware. Several online support sites. Lots of Youtube help videos.
Also, there are loads of ad ons and plug-ins. It's pretty common to find a plug-in specifically tailored to a job needing to be done.

Another freeware gold mine worth mentioning. Libre Office. I tricked my partner into thinking it was MS Office and she used it for several months before discovering the truth.
She made that discovery when the computer repair people installed MS Office and she gave me a panic phone call that should couldn't export certain files. Libre Office is much MUCH more capable in the import and export department.

Last edited:

damhan

Arachnopeon

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Would love to get Photoshop, but it’s out of my price range. Anybody use any good programs that are cheap (or even better, free)?

Thanks in advance
I use Zoner for editing and Zerene for stacking. I do have Photoshop, but not enough time and will to learn to work in it. :D

And "free" is quite relative term in the times of internet, IYKWIM. ;)

advan

oOOo
Staff member
For editing I just use Lightroom and that's it. I starting with Corel Paint but finally bit the Adobe bullet. It's not too bad if you do the monthly option. It's about $10/11 a month and you get Lightroom, Photoshop and a few other programs. It's nice because you always get the updated version and never have to re buy if they come out with another one.

On stacking programs, you can focus stack with Photoshop but it is not ideal for a serious stacker. I don't stack(I like to poke fun at my friends that do and call them cheaters) but Zerene is the program you want. If you're ever having issues with that program the developer himself will work with you and get you sorted out.

-Chad