What’s Your Favorite Haplo/Cyriopagopus sp.?

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Ever since I bought a CB Female C. lividus (Cobalt Blue) as my first OW T back in April, I’ve fallen in love with this genus! Since then, I’ve acquired C. albostriatus, C. vonwirthi, and I’ll be getting a “true” C. minax in the near future as well. To everyone that keeps this genera of Ts, which is your favorite? I personally LOVE all of them, so I’ll just go with the only one that I have pictures of....

Cobalt Blue Tarantula (C. lividus):
upload_2019-10-18_20-27-32.jpeg

upload_2019-10-18_20-27-56.jpeg

upload_2019-10-18_20-28-31.jpeg

upload_2019-10-18_20-28-56.jpeg

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
C. sp. Hati Hati is my favorite so far, they're impressing me more and more. My C. vonwithi is pet hole and so are my C. albostriatus.

C. minax are a mess because of WC imports that are bringing in all kinds of asian OW terrestrials as C. minax. I bought a C. minax female and ended up with some Chilobrachys species. Somebody else got something different as well that wasn't a C. minax. So be careful of any WC imports of C. minax.

Edit- forgot pics

Last edited:

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
C. sp. Hati Hati is my favorite so far, they're impressing me more and more. My C. vonwithi is pet hole and so are my C. albostriatus.

C. minax are a mess because of WC imports that are bringing in all kinds of asian OW terrestrials as C. minax. I bought a C. minax female and ended up with some Chilobrachys species. Somebody else got something different as well that wasn't a C. minax. So be careful of any WC imports of C. minax.
The C. minax I’m getting is CB, and the seller seems very knowledgeable about them, so I’m not too concerned. It’s funny, because the C. vonwirthi I mentioned in the OP was sold to me as a C. minax. Because it was likely WC, and not the species that I wanted, I returned it, and I’m really starting to regret it, as it was still a beautiful T :(....

Last edited:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
C. hainanum (or hainanus, I don't even know anymore), don't have one yet but that will change in due time.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
The C. minax I’m getting is CB, and the seller seems very knowledgeable about them, so I’m not to concerned. It’s funny, because the C. vonwirthi I mentioned in the OP was sold to me as a C. minax. Because it was likely WC, and not the species that I wanted, I returned it, and I’m really starting to regret it :(....
CB C. minax is not really a "true" minax because about a decade ago, people didn't know much and accidentally cross bred them with C. vonwirthi and another species that was imported as C. sp. "Big Black" (Haplopelma at the time). I don't get it why they're called that but people certainly gotten them confused for sure. I'm not sure if there is any true pure C. minax in this hobby, just like the G. pulchra X G. quirogai. But hopefully someone can clean up the mess between vonwirthi, minax, and sp. big black.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
CB C. minax is not really a "true" minax because about a decade ago, people didn't know much and accidentally cross bred them with C. vonwirthi and another species that was imported as C. sp. "Big Black" (Haplopelma at the time). I don't get it why they're called that but people certainly gotten them confused for sure. I'm not sure if there is any true pure C. minax in this hobby, just like the G. pulchra X G. quirogai. But hopefully someone can clean up the mess between vonwirthi, minax, and sp. big black.
Ah I see. Based on what the seller is telling me, I’m still confident that what he’s selling me is the “true” C. minax. It’s the Chiang Mai locale, and the seller is convinced that they aren’t the same as C. vonwirthi or C. sp. “Big Black”.

Here’s the pics of the Sub-adult Female he has. Looks nothing like C. vonwirthi, and I’d be hesitant to say with certainty that it’s C. sp “Big Black”....

upload_2019-10-18_21-28-39.jpeg

upload_2019-10-18_21-28-53.jpeg

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Ah I see. Based on what the seller is telling me, I’m still confident that what he’s selling me is the “true” C. minax. It’s the Chiang Mai locale, and the seller is convinced that they aren’t the same as C. vonwirthi or C. sp. “Big Black”.

Here’s the pics of the Sub-adult Female he has. Looks nothing like C. vonwirthi, and I’d be hesitant to say with certainty that it’s C. sp “Big Black”....

View attachment 323765

View attachment 323766
Nice! ;):D

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
C. sp. "Bach Ma" is at the top of my list for Cyriopagopus. Nobody seems to sell them though...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
In their 2005 paper on the subfamily Ornithoctoninae, Voker von Wirth and Boris Striffler speculate that Cyriopagopus (as Haplopelma) vonwirthi is a synonym of C. minax. They didn't provide any support for this so the two species remain separate. No one has ever confirmed, or denied, the presence of Grammostola quirogai in the hobby so I don't know why there are some that keep referring to it. It's amazing what speculation people will repeat as fact and what people won't. :rolleyes:

Reference
Wirth, V. von & Striffler, B. F. (2005). Neue Erkenntnisse zur Vogelspinnen -- Unterfamilie Ornithoctoninae, mit Beschreibung von Ornithoctonus aureotibialis sp. n. und Haplopelma longipes sp. n. (Araneae, Theraphosidae). Arthropoda13(2): 2-27.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
It's amazing what speculation people will repeat as fact and what people won't.
Very true, however given the overall mess that is species identification in the hobby, and with all sorts of conflicting information from seemingly decent sources, it is to be expected.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
That's a good question. Out of the 3 I have I would say my favorite is the C.albostriatius. i love the markings on the legs but my lividus is pretty bad ass also with her burrow system but i dont ever see my minax aka the most reclusive tarantula in my collection that poops on the lid of it's enclosure like it's nobody's business

Enceladus

Arachnopeon
C. schmidti
(gold)!!! Hands down, my most honery spider.
Do you happen to have any pics from when it was a sling? I THINK I have one. When it was given to me, only the genus was known and based off some physical characteristics, I THINK it might be one of these, so curious to see how it looks compared to yours around the same age (if you have any photos).

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Do you happen to have any pics from when it was a sling? I THINK I have one. When it was given to me, only the genus was known and based off some physical characteristics, I THINK it might be one of these, so curious to see how it looks compared to yours around the same age (if you have any photos).
Unfortunately, no earlier pics. A typical Asian fossorial, I put it in its enclosure as a sling (about .5”) and aside from seeing the front four legs pretty regularly, I didn’t see it emerge fully until I took this picture at about 2”.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Got my dream pet hole Wednesday. Haplopelma sp Bach Ma. Was told she was in premoult so can't wait to see her in her new clothes.