What’s a herp day?

tarantulas118

Arachnoknight
After the death of my T, I’m looking to go to a reptile con. But the thing is there aren’t any around me for awhile except this thing called a herp day and was wondering if that is like a reptile convention…….. also what tarantula do you think I should get???

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Cyriopagopus sp. 'Back Ma', but only if they have it's frog at Herp Day lol.. It does sound like a reptile convention to me, sometimes that's the best you have in your area. Or mailorder. I prefer mailorder, the shops around here I've seen piss me off. Like an OBT stuffed in a vial with nothing else, and it's too big for the vial. How hard of a rehouse can opening a lid be? Get one you are interested in and actually want, whatever it is...

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Looking at your profile you have a stirmi and B. boehmei, two of the worst hair kickers. Depending on what you're into but I'd get a D. diamantinensis or something that isn't gonna kick hairs. OW if you're ready, maybe I. mira

tarantulas118

Arachnoknight
Looking at your profile you have a stirmi and B. boehmei, two of the worst hair kickers. Depending on what you're into but I'd get a D. diamantinensis or something that isn't gonna kick hairs. OW if you're ready, maybe I. mira
“Had” a T. Stirmi. Still have a B. Boehmei. I gotta update my profile. still can’t believe the first 2 Ts I’ve ever owned has the worst hairs of all tarantula kind. I am not Ready for an OW yet, I’ll just see what they’ve got and you guys can be the judge if I got a good choice

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
Get one you are interested in and actually want, whatever it is...
Absolutely yes to this! Have a look round and see what's there and if there isn't anything you 100% want, then walk away. I know you just lost your stirmi and your keen to get another T, but pls don't buy for the sake of buying... sellers are there to sell... If your gonna go to a con, then go to enjoy the con first and foremost. In the meantime, have a look around the boards and read up on species you actually like. No rush, no pressure!

If you like big tropical new worlds (given that you had a stirmi), keep A. geniculata in mind. They are big, fast growing, relatively easy to care for and usually affordable at smaller sizes... there's a reason so many folks swear by them!

Last edited:

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Stromatopelma calceatum

I'm joking, don't get an S. calceatum.

Last edited:

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Absolutely yes to this! Have a look round and see what's there and if there isn't anything you 100% want, then walk away. I know you just lost your stirmi and your keen to get another T, but pls don't buy for the sake of buying... sellers are there to sell... If your gonna go to a con, then go to enjoy the con first and foremost. In the meantime, have a look around the boards and read up on species you actually like. No rush, no pressure!

If you like big tropical new worlds (given that you had a stirmi), keep A. geniculata in mind. They are big, fast growing, relatively easy to care for and usually affordable at smaller sizes... there's a reason so many folks swear by them!
Well spoken!!! Like@Cmac2111 said, don't impulse buy anything!!

Yeah, I've been to many an expo. Most reputable dealers are there to help and offer good advice and such, but at the end of the day, they're present to make a sell. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with walking away with something, but just be sure it's a species you truly want!

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I don't know where in misery, I mean Missouri you are. But there is a really nice reptile swap in St. Louis a couple times a year that usually has some T vendors.

tarantulas118

Arachnoknight
I don't know where in misery, I mean Missouri you are. But there is a really nice reptile swap in St. Louis a couple times a year that usually has some T vendors.
Oh yeah I live farrrr from St. Louis, I live 3 hours away but I’ll definitely check that out

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
I impulse buy tarantulas all the time lol the only thing I have more of is Magic cards xD

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
You might want to contact whoever is organizing this "Herp Day" and find out if there's going to be any invert dealers there or not. It would still be cool to check out even if it's just reptiles/herps, but I've never heard of an exotics convention called a herp day so who knows what to expect.

As for what to get, I think you should definitely stick with NW for now. Maybe something like G. pulchripes or T. vagans...

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
You might want to contact whoever is organizing this "Herp Day" and find out if there's going to be any invert dealers there or not. It would still be cool to check out even if it's just reptiles/herps, but I've never heard of an exotics convention called a herp day so who knows what to expect.

As for what to get, I think you should definitely stick with NW for now. Maybe something like G. pulchripes or T. vagans...
T. vagans is a species I personally feel like doesn't get the appreciation they deserve. I can only speak for my own, but she's always out and about, has a voracious appetite, and is just a beautiful tarantula.

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
T. vagans is a species I personally feel like doesn't get the appreciation they deserve. I can only speak for my own, but she's always out and about, has a voracious appetite, and is just a beautiful tarantula.
100% agree, they are amazing & gorgeous T's! Can be little devils though IME :devil: