We've got molt, we've got molt...!

Tremors

Arachnopeon
Okay - Way back towards the end of November, I ordered some new blood to add to my scorpion collection and decided to add a couple of L. parahybana because they were a species I had never raised back in my Tarantula days and I wanted to experience raising them.

I ordered two and received them on 11-12-2010. They were sold to me as 1/8" specimens(and that was a stretch.) One of them seemed more active and robust than the other and molted on 12-06-2010. It took the other till 5 days ago(12-26-2010) to molt.

Here's my question; The first to molt is currently on his back - 25 days after his first molt with me. The thing that has me curious is that it ate a 1/4" cricket 2 days ago and seemed quite active this last week.

It never went into a non-eating, hiding or inactive stage. Please tell me your anecdotal experience to this.

I must offer this...I keep these two in a open top seventy-five gallon aquarium where I must keep all my little baby desert species at around 80-87 degrees.

There is no humidity in the tank other than what I provide in their(L.p.) container.

Last edited:

ArachnoYak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry I don't have any advice for you I just wanted to say i love the revenge of the Nerds title to this thread, lol. Nice work. Not sure if everyone caught the reference.

Drakk

Arachnosquire
Im currently raising 4 of these and they have snuck molts in on me a few times.

Tremors

Arachnopeon
Sorry I don't have any advice for you I just wanted to say i love the revenge of the Nerds title to this thread, lol. Nice work. Not sure if everyone caught the reference.
What in God's green earth could ever make you think that I would be making an allusion to a film in an arachnid forum? I'm shocked, sh-----!

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My LP ate a few days before it's molt when it was smaller. It's now almost 1.75" and ignores food maybe a week before the molt.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
With smaller slings the "fasting" period before a molt can seem almost non-existent. The older it gets and bigger the longer the premolt fasting will be.

Dont be alarmed. When I had my first LP It molted 3 times in one month. It went from 1/8 of an inch to over an inch in just 3 months.