Wet or dry substrate?

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
The substrate I have at the moment is some coconut husk mixture (came in a brick w/ terrarium) should I allow that to dry out or keep it damp? I have an a. Avic.

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
The substrate I have at the moment is some coconut husk mixture (came in a brick w/ terrarium) should I allow that to dry out or keep it damp? I have an a. Avic.
I put a pretty thin layer for all of my avics, dry, and I occasionally over fill the water dish at random times. Other than that I always keep the water dish full and that seems to be all the humidty they need

cold blood

Staff member
Let it dry some, but you dont have to let it dry completely, it can finish drying with the t inside. But you definitely dont want to be using wet stuff.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Dry sub is best for Avics. Just make sure you have good ventilation...that's the most important thing for Avics. For humidity just use a nice big water dish (or two).

Walker253

Arachnobaron
No tarantula likes wet substrate. Grab it and squeeze out any water you can. With the Avic, you only need a thin layer. If it's a little damp, it will be ok until it dries, but like the above posters, they like it dry. Let the water dish overflow later for humidity.

basin79

ArachnoGod
No tarantula likes wet substrate. Grab it and squeeze out any water you can. With the Avic, you only need a thin layer. If it's a little damp, it will be ok until it dries, but like the above posters, they like it dry. Let the water dish overflow later for humidity.
Obviously she hasn't told me but my Megaphobema Mesomelas is thriving on wet substrate.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't even use "wet" substrate for my S.subspinipes. We are talking about arachnids, not 'paludarium' animals.

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
I believe we are confusing wet and damp. So.
Should my ciconic fibre sub be dark brown or light brown :rofl:

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
No tarantula likes wet substrate.
Cyriopagopus lividus
Theraphosa stirmi/blonde
Acanthoscuria geniculata
Lasiodora parahybana

Hell even Pelinobius muticus will very often direct their burrows directly into the damp/wet sub under the water dish as opposed to the dry. There are quite a few species whom very clearly prefer wetter environments

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I believe we are confusing wet and damp. So.
Should my ciconic fibre sub be dark brown or light brown :rofl:
Its bot relevant really if you refer back to the first few comments.

Just squeeze the extra water out an give the T a thin layer (avics are arboreal so they dont need depth) and put the T in.
Just make sure u have an always full water dish and good ventilation and let the sub dry out on its own.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Cyriopagopus lividus
Theraphosa stirmi/blonde
Acanthoscuria geniculata
Lasiodora parahybana

Hell even Pelinobius muticus will very often direct their burrows directly into the damp/wet sub under the water dish as opposed to the dry. There are quite a few species whom very clearly prefer wetter environments
Damp, yes. Wet, no. The T blondi may need the most humidity, but having it on wet substrate all the time? Like @Chris LXXIX said, we are talking about arachnids here.

Last edited:

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Coco fiber can be reconstituted with a very small amount of water . I think the packages say to use like three quarts of water but that is simply not necessary . I take a butter knife and break the block long ways into thin sheets and then spray it with a small amount of boiling hot water . Then put the pieces into a one gallon bucket and cover it with plastic wrap . Wait about an hour and the fiber will easily break up and it's ready for immediate use . It might require a small amount of drying time for those "bone dry" species but for most it can be put straight into the enclosure . That soaking it and wringing it out crap is a huge waste of time .

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I just reconstitute it like normal and it's not soggy that way. Then I let it dry out a bit. I usually make up a 3 brick pack at the time and keep it in a spare plastic container. By the time I am ready to use it it's pretty much dry enough.

I've been mixing mine with dirt lately to help it pack better for my burrowers.