wet gbb sling enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastermind 50

Arachnosquire
Hi, i have had my GBB sling for quite some time already, but it has been acting up recently. Through research, I found that they are supposed to be kept on dry substrate, but I found it toppling it's full water dish into it's substrate, do i need to do anything, or is this normal?

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
It's normal for spiders to do this, I just wouldn't recommend giving it a water dish again until it dries out. Can you post pictures?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi, i have had my GBB sling for quite some time already, but it has been acting up recently. Through research, I found that they are supposed to be kept on dry substrate, but I found it toppling it's full water dish into it's substrate, do i need to do anything, or is this normal?
Normal

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Its totally normal, its helps to dig the dishh into the substrate a little bit sometimes to prevent thhis.

OP this looks like its set up for an arboreal withh a lot of height. They are a terrestrial species. Can you post pictures of thhe entire enclosure?

Stomptheground

Arachnopeon
Well I believe they are in theory your correct but in reality they climb for example my male gbb makes most of his web up top.. what about semi arid is that a thing both my males act arboreal which makes them semi arboreal. So good text book answer but they climb and nest up high down low.. but your the expert and I respect your knowledge my friend

Shes up high substrate dry and shes not scared just felt arboreal that day

So I'm thinking that gbb like most spiders have their own personalities..mine never flipped their bowls just webbed it up real nice.. my female gbb is calm and gravid my males are lightening fast but do cool things.. so most things they do are normal.. my older male is at the end of his life but he did his job. His name is midnight cowboy

Attachments

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Well I believe they are in theory your correct but in reality they climb for example my male gbb makes most of his web up top.. what about semi arid is that a thing both my males act arboreal which makes them semi arboreal. So good text book answer but they climb and nest up high down low.. but your the expert and I respect your knowledge my friend

Shes up high substrate dry and shes not scared just felt arboreal that day

So I'm thinking that gbb like most spiders have their own personalities..mine never flipped their bowls just webbed it up real nice.. my female gbb is calm and gravid my males are lightening fast but do cool things.. so most things they do are normal.. my older male is at the end of his life but he did his job. His name is midnight cowboy
I believe it's more a safety measure than anything. Lots of animals can climb well. But very few can fall well. Us included. They don't know better. Much like children. But smarter.

Finikan

Painter of Poorly Rendered Images
Arachnosupporter +
Semi arboreal is not a thing. Just like semi fossorial is not a thing. These particular spiders are terrestrial, meaning they stay near the ground.

I have watched my GBB sling fall to the ground from a 1.5 inch height. It is not an arboreal spider, so I didn't worry about it. Plus, I didn't give it enough space to have a dangerous fall because I had done research and knew they were terrestrial.

Dumping the water dish... man that's a mischievous little fellow. Normal and amusing.

Last edited:

Stomptheground

Arachnopeon
Gbb are semi arboreal
Well you cant win them all by the way they are semi arboreal

Semi arboreal is not a thing. Just like semi fossorial is not a thing. These particular spiders are terrestrial, meaning they stay near the ground.

I have watched my GBB sling fall to the ground from a 1.5 inch height. It is not an arboreal spider, so I didn't worry about it. Plus, I didn't give it enough space to have a dangerous fall because I had done research and knew they were terrestrial.

Dumping the water dish... man that's a mischievous little fellow. Normal and amusing.
You can use a higher tank with more substrate maybe half way up just saying

Finikan

Arachnosupporter +
You can use a higher tank with more substrate maybe half way up just saying
You don't even know what its enclosure looks like, mate. Honestly, I'd keep the higher tank to house one of my arboreals. I'm not telling you not to set it up like an arboreal, you do you. 👍

As others have already told you what is best, you can do exactly whatever suits your needs. Just remember it is a living thing in your care and it doesn't get to choose what's best for itself.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
But the term semi arboreal explains their behavior
I know a biologist who has observed GBB in their native habitat.

Search the forum for my post if you’d like real knowledge/data rather than making assumptions based on captive behavior.

Stomptheground

Arachnopeon
You don't even know what its enclosure looks like, mate. Honestly, I'd keep the higher tank to house one of my arboreals. I'm not telling you not to set it up like an arboreal, you do you. 👍

As others have already told you what is best, you can do exactly whatever suits your needs. Just remember it is a living thing in your care and it doesn't get to choose what's best for itself.
I choose what's best your correc
I know a biologist who has observed GBB in their native habitat.

Search the forum for my post if you’d like real knowledge/data rather than making assumptions based on captive behavior.
Dude I'm not out in Africa catching these girls

My set up is scientific as they come research has been done I'm glad your a biologist but I'm not a dumb kid I respect your title but I'm doing great many molts from many breeds cant be wrong zero deaths except when a gbb sling showed up dead not my fault the box had been banged around

Gbb are semi arboreal
Tough crowd tonight oh well my Gbbs are happy as can be

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

GBBs are not from Africa. You should learn more about the animals whose lives are in your care.

My comment isn’t about you per se, but rather providing you some help to learn more about the animal you own.

Stomptheground

Arachnopeon
Tough crowd tonight oh well my Gbbs are happy as can be
Disagree all you want Ibut my spiders are very healthy and very calm be cool dislike if you want it's a free country semi arboreal is a real thing

You seem like a snake guy viper

What makes you a better keeper than anyone gbb are from Venezuela my friend no biggie I was in the wrong post alot going on here

Last edited by a moderator:

Finikan

Arachnosupporter +
I'm not sure who you're responding to, as you quoted yourself again.

All the information is out there, you just have to read. Later mate. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.