Western Hognose Snakes

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have three - an adult male who is around seven years old, a juvenile male just over a year old, and a juvenile female who will be a year old in October.
All three have distinctly different personalities, so you can't judge them by their reputations, or the experiences of others. My adult male is a bit cranky inside his enclosure, my juvenile male has never even hissed at me once and is as sweet as can be, and my juvenile female is an absolute drama queen who hisses and faux strikes even if I'm just walking by her tank. All three are just fine once you get them out and completely calm down. I don't handle them that often, but I do make an effort to get them out for short periods so that they remain sociable and so I can take a quick look at their condition.
I wasn't looking for snakes, but I encountered a situation where the males needed a new home fast. I won the female in a contest. I did some very quick research and figured that I could handle their care and I do have friends with a lot of hognose experience who I could rely on. They really are very easy to care for - they are a temperate species and are extremely hardy with a much wider window of error than the more tropical species. Fasting is a bit of an issue and is the only con for a brand new snake person. Also, they are rear fanged venomous and some people can have a very bad reaction to being bitten. Bites are extremely rare and usually always take place when someone is being careless while feeding. Despite the show they put on, they are very reluctant to go beyond hissing, flattening, and faux striking with their mouths closed.

My adult male, Gabriel.
DSC00530-2.jpg
DSC03450-2-2.jpg
DSC04910-2.jpg

My juvenile male, Oliver.
DSC09393-2.jpg
DSC06387-2.jpg
DSC07129-2.jpg

My juvenile female - the drama queen - Bianca.
DSC08904-2.jpg
DSC06159-2.jpg
DSC05276-2.jpg

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
My mother almost bought one at a reptile show. If I ever got back into reptiles, I’d probably get one of these. They’re so cute!!!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
My mother almost bought one at a reptile show. If I ever got back into reptiles, I’d probably get one of these. They’re so cute!!!
They are chocked full of personality. I have never hated snakes, and always loved visiting with my friend's snakes, but I never thought I would have any of my own. These guys are really something else and are such lovable little derps.
A lot of people don't think they make good beginner's snakes, but I don't agree with that. Other than the venom, and fasting, there is really nothing else that you can say that is negative about them. They remain on the smaller side, so they don't need huge enclosures. They like it dry and warm which is dead easy for someone like me, being in Canada where it is so dry for months. They are hardier than many of the other species that people consider good beginners - like ball pythons. And their availability and price have become far more reasonable in the last few years.
I would definitely say they are a good species for beginners.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
They are so cute! My daughter just got 2 of them a couple weeks ago. I wish I had more room, I'd love to have one.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'm saving up for one as we speak.... Gorgeous snakes, thanks for sharing!
Not that westies aren't stunning because they most definitely are but if you already haven't have a look at tri coloured hognose snakes too.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Not that westies aren't stunning because they most definitely are but if you already haven't have a look at tri coloured hognose snakes too.
I know...I absolutely love your Harley Quin, but I haven't seen a tricolor hognose for sale here. And considering the 'ordinary' westies are over €100 euros, I can imagine what a tricolor costs!

basin79

ArachnoGod
I know...I absolutely love your Harley Quin, but I haven't seen a tricolor hognose for sale here. And considering the 'ordinary' westies are over €100 euros, I can imagine what a tricolor costs!
Westies are stunners anyway.