Went Millipede Hunting

SFA

Arachnoknight
So I was doing some reading yesterday and discovered that there's actually some cool millipede species here in Ohio (I was surprised). So I went millipede hunting in my garden today (it is entirely too hot to go trekking all the way out to the woods) and found these tiny little guys. I see the brown ones all the time but I've never noticed the flat ones before. Anyone know what either type is? I put them back in their home under a flower pot after I took pictures.

Hopefully I will find different ones in the woods on my next hunting expedition!

DSC_0109_1.JPG

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I live near Cincinnati and I see those all the time. I kept them for a year and put them back outside. I didn't see any pedelings. Someone told me they might be pest julids. I find those and less often a bulkier one. Still small but fat and just a little lighter in color. I find little flat ones too that breed easily. I was overrun and released them. I would love to find some of the big ones!

moghue

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice find. I look around were I am located at and cant find anything even though I am told we have millipedes. as far as julids I don't consider any millipede a pest.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
The ones near the top resemble the Bollmaniulus sp. we have around here in California. The others are probably Oxidus gracilis. Gracilis comes in many different color forms and are everywhere.