Went looking for Jumping Spiders, found this.

nickbachman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
About an hour ago, I decided I needed a jumping spider, so I set out to look around the outside of the house for one. Within 2 minutes, I found my first one. This big hog:

underside

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos. I'm sure it's a pretty common jumper, I've seen a few in my lifetime, but if anyone could throw me a scientific name, that'd be great. Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with my find.

EDIT: Searching, I see it's Phiddipus audax. Very cool. I'm way excited.

Last edited:

nickbachman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks! she took down a cricket that was nearly her size earlier. quite the impressive beast!

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bold jumpers are great. My girl would take down crickets twice her size.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Beautiful gal! Makes me miss mine.

Be prepared for an egg sac though. All of the big fat girls I've ever found within a few good feedings webbed up and deposited an egg sac, which invariably hatches while I'm away and then I have hundreds of the little buggers all over my house. ;)

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, mine dropped a sac too. I tried to raise them, but had the damndest time keeping them alive. I eventually just let the survivors go, figuring they could do better on their own.

nickbachman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mine webbed up recently in the corner of her enclosure. Does this mean she will make an egg sac? If so, how long does that usually take to happen after they web up?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
if it's a really thick webbing very soon, maybe a day or 2,i know when mine used to web up very thick there was always an eggsack in there, good luck:D

nickbachman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it's quite thick, i can hardly see through it. just checked it, i can't see through it at all. how long do the eggs take to hatch?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
about a couple of weeks,around there or so,just wait till ya see them they is tiny{D but you can feed the babies fruitflies that's what i did even though the flies were alittle big they still pounced on them.