Welp it finally happened

ShrapnelShark

Arachnopeon
After 6 Tarantulas. 3 Slings and 3 Juveniles.

My 7th and sadly my first Old World Tarantula,instead of standing its ground bolted,right out of its enclosure i set up all nice looking,flew Right out of the tupperware i set up for escape,dodged the catch cup with a speed i couldn't anticipate coming from a Tarantula i kept getting told was defensive and now after sifting in vein through clutter,the desk and the area i cannot find this ting the size of a quarter.

It was a Juvenile Ceratogyrus darlingi

So yeah was GOING to be my first old world,i really really REALLY didn't expect that at all,it was faster than litterally any of my other T's ive housed.

So.......uhhh any advice for having a loose juvenile in my room? I feel ULTRA stupid right now
Also maybe some advice on how to prevent this from happening in the future,i was sure i did everything right. I mean i even had the napkin in the enclosure but dang the moment i tried brushing it to move it,GONE.

Last edited:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Close the door. Slowly move the furniture away from the walls and look in every crevice. Keep the room dark and look around with a red flashlight. Do not try to give the tarantula food or water, because if it lacks ideal conditions it'll roam around. Since it's a terrestrial species, it'll likely be on the floor somewhere.

ShrapnelShark

Arachnopeon
Close the door. Slowly move the furniture away from the walls and look in every crevice. Keep the room dark and look around with a red flashlight. Do not try to give the tarantula food or water, because if it lacks ideal conditions it'll roam around. Since it's a terrestrial species, it'll likely be on the floor somewhere.
Thanks for the info,sadly after a deep amount of searching it appears to be just sort of gone. This is definitely my fault doing this in my room,i was sure everything was set up well enough,I had NO clue it would bolt across 2-3 layers of smooth surface plastic with no slowing down so quickly. @__@

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Thanks for the info,sadly after a deep amount of searching it appears to be just sort of gone. This is definitely my fault doing this in my room,i was sure everything was set up well enough,I had NO clue it would bolt across 2-3 layers of smooth surface plastic with no slowing down so quickly. @__@
Oh so you DID have boxes. That's a good idea. I would've had not only a catch cup, but a lid for the largest box to shut immediately as the tarantula ran.

ShrapnelShark

Arachnopeon
Oh so you DID have boxes. That's a good idea. I would've had not only a catch cup, but a lid for the largest box to shut immediately as the tarantula ran.
I started doing boxes after watching some rehousing videos of adults lead to scary running across the wall moments. Like i said the speed was....SO unexpected,he was so....not interested in moving till that brush to get him inside the enclosre. ahh.... The lid WAS near me but the moment i could use it he was in would get crushed by lid range. I guess this happens to everyone sometime ^^;

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
This thread reinforces my belief that I need one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glovebox

Do you have any predatory pests, like house lizards, that would've eaten your sling? If no then I wouldn't give up looking for it. Good luck finding your sling OP.

Edit: Sorry misread that it's a sling.

Last edited:

ShrapnelShark

Arachnopeon
This thread reinforces my belief that I need one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glovebox

Do you have any predatory pests, like house lizards, that would've eaten your sling? If no then I wouldn't give up looking for it. Good luck finding your sling OP.
The speed! I am unsure if it climbed the tupperware or straight up RAN up it with the speed. Terrestial bad climbers my butt.
Nah we do have some black ants in the house but i make sure they are never in my room since they'd be a threat to my other spiders. But yeah im not going to give up. Thanks

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good luck! I hope you find it. I've never had a tarantula escape on me - yet - but I did recently have an adult huntsman spider get out during a rehouse. I swear, that thing teleported out of the cage and the box. No time to use the catch cups, either - she was just gone. I sealed up the room and started tearing it apart, starting with the direction she was last seen running - so of course, when I finally found her an hour or so later, she was on the totally opposite side of the room, chilling behind a bookcase. Fortunately, she was safely retrieved and successfully transferred to her cage on the second try.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I think something I'll do in the future is record my rehousings of fast old worlds or arboreals. That way I could see where they went.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon

Edit: Sorry misread that it's a sling.
I wouldn't think house lizards could ever dream of killing and eating a C. darlingi sling. The speed and firepower of their venom would make those lizards puss out.

ShrapnelShark

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't think house lizards could ever dream of killing and eating a C. darlingi sling. The speed and firepower of their venom would make those lizards puss out.
Uhhhh,speaking of that should i be worried from a bite from a juvie(I ain't allergic but still)

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
They're expensive and a pain in the butt to work in. I wouldn't recommend it. ;)
I'm confident I can slap together a shoddy knockoff version out of acrylic sheets and medical gloves haha :D
The speed! I am unsure if it climbed the tupperware or straight up RAN up it with the speed. Terrestial bad climbers my butt.
Nah we do have some black ants in the house but i make sure they are never in my room since they'd be a threat to my other spiders. But yeah im not going to give up. Thanks
Yeah that's the thing that puts me on edge when it comes to Ts, even the terrestrial ones can climb smooth vertical surfaces.

Xafron

Arachnosquire
I've heard a lot of people putting the containers in the bath tub and rehousing there. Even with my first slower NW I just got, I initially opened the packaging it came in inside the tub. Nothing actually happened but if it did I suspect it would have just slid down the sides unable to get out easily.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
I started doing boxes after watching some rehousing videos of adults lead to scary running across the wall moments. Like i said the speed was....SO unexpected,he was so....not interested in moving till that brush to get him inside the enclosre. ahh.... The lid WAS near me but the moment i could use it he was in would get crushed by lid range. I guess this happens to everyone sometime ^^;

yea its definitely happened to most of us.

for me? 3 times(only once when rehousing specifically though)
but also happened with me with my First OW( a VERY pissed off female E. Pachypus) thankfully i barely managed to get her with the catch cup as she was almost vertical climbing down my wall!!

but also twice after that, once with a A. Metallica and once with my absolutely insane P. Irminia(she makes my OBT's and pokies look gentle and patient)

couple of tips:

1. Do NOT underestimate how far they can go,
my irminia went missing from her enclosure and was found on the side of a Half filled trash back on the other side of the room(was in the middle of some spring cleaning when she got out)

2. keep a catch cup with you for when you do find her.

3. if you have space in your house, start moving the smaller pieces of furniture out, one by one, After VERY VERY thoroughly searching it and making sure there is no little sling.

4. look for little strands of webs, thats how i found my Avic when it got out. i was using a flash light and i noticed a random couple of strands of silk coming from the side of my bed post, sure enough, there was the avic on the order side, probably thinking it was going to get comfortable.

5. sleep with one eye open tonight.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
No matter what precautions you take, I think that occasionally this just happens. We can't prepare for everything all the time, mistakes are natural from time to time. Don't beat yourself up. I'd just look wherever spiders go.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I think something I'll do in the future is record my rehousings of fast old worlds or arboreals. That way I could see where they went.
Again an excellent idea from you Moak, that makes a lot of sense actually.
@OP
Yes, a bit from a juvie Ceratogyrus is cause for worry, because it will hurt like hell, mainly. Not so much at risk healthwise, but be careful putting on shoes and clothing, and don't go blindly rummaging in closets.
Rehouses in the bathtub don't slow them down,but it gives you a wide open space to keep an eye on them if they bolt.
I get what you are saying about the speed, I had a P.irminia bolt on me and escaping. Found it four hours later between dvd cases.

I would keep an eye open during the day, keep a catch cup near you at all times. Search with a red flashlight in the evening, look on the floor, under closets and beds and work your way up. Was the door of your room open or closed? If closed, seal it every time you go in or out. Keep looking.

Also, keep small children and pets OUT of your room. They are at risk if they are bitten by this species.

Good luck!

ShrapnelShark

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for the responses,sadly no luck yet. Guess ill be checking my shoes from now on @__@

This hasn't discouraged me from getting another T lol

Jason B

Arachnosquire
My first old world was a P. Regalis, Prior to this all my unpackings had been done in a large plastic bin with hinges on the lid so I could swing it closed if the rehousing went south. I was not ready for the speed of this 2 inch pokie. I had a round table and it litterally ran around the underside of the table for like 15 minutes it was glass and it stayed between the glass and the metals frame i couldn't really get my catch cup in front of it. So for 15 minutes I touch it with a brush then watch it do laps. Finally it jumped onto my floor and the carpet slowed it down enough for me to get it with the catch cup. After that I unpacked in a bath tub. The plus side is every other unpacking since then has been a breeze in comparison.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nothing actually happened but if it did I suspect it would have just slid down the sides unable to get out easily.
Nope, those suckers can grab on good even in a smooth tub. My lividus bolted while I was housing and I swear it might as well have been glued in place on the side of the tub. Trying to move it a bit with the catch cup to get a lid under was near impossible...