Well, this was fun...

Johnny1320

Arachnopeon
Had a bunch of crickets die overnight, and this evening were suppose to get hammered with something like 24" of snow here in Chicago. Anyways, found a shop that had smaller crickets this morning and they had a few of these guys on the shelf. Listed as a "Thai Tiger" and in about 1/2" of substrate, I figured what better way to entertain myself than a new T. They were pretty cheap, so I googled it and came up that it is some type of Haplopelma. Either way, rehousing it provided some adrenaline for the evening. Not too bad just took my time.

web eviction

Arachnolord
Sounds the same as my story lol found one at a reptile show extremely cheap so figured why not right lol got hope popped the top on the the deli cup and the battle was on this little demon has almost nailed me six times now I have been very lucky I think this t has crawled across my entire body now she is extremely fast and super aggressive lol pretty though:rolleyes:

Could you believe this is a cell phone pic lol!

Last edited:

Bengal21

Arachnopeon
Looks like H longipes to me. Funny because I bought mine as a "Thai Tiger" as well. Sounds like mine's attitude matches yours. On a side note mine just molted and I confirmed her to be a "her".

captmarga

Arachnobaron
No fun on the crickets... but congrats on the new addition. I think I was just reading up on these in the (terrible) Barrons Tarantula book. Thai Black? Would have to go downstairs into the cold to find the book, and I'm sure everything is outdated.

She should be happier with you, with a good drink of water and some noms!

Marga

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you have those electric pads for muscle pain? I'm using that in one of my big cricket bins. Even in California winters it's too cold and I would get massive die-offs without a heat source. I have the bin in the sunroom since they get so noisy when warm but it gets cold in there. They don't even get roasted if they sit right on the pad. Just make sure they have some water source (even fresh veggies like carrot, potato or lettuce work) or the extra warmth will desicate them over time.

Johnny1320

Arachnopeon
Do you have those electric pads for muscle pain? I'm using that in one of my big cricket bins. Even in California winters it's too cold and I would get massive die-offs without a heat source. I have the bin in the sunroom since they get so noisy when warm but it gets cold in there. They don't even get roasted if they sit right on the pad. Just make sure they have some water source (even fresh veggies like carrot, potato or lettuce work) or the extra warmth will desicate them over time.
We do pretty well with them. The room they're in is kept at about 75-80 and has all of our frogs and T's. I dunno what happened, but they might have been in direct line with the heater and fried. Oh well.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
... I figured what better way to entertain myself than a new T.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

GREAT LINE! This sums up succinctly what we denizens of this forum are all about. Who among us cannot relate? If everybody had that attitude, what a wonderful world this would be .... In fact, if someone set those words to music, it could be the Arachnoboards Theme Song!

p.s. Congrats on snagging such a flawless specimen, whatever it is!

Johnny1320

Arachnopeon
:clap: :clap: :clap:

GREAT LINE! This sums up succinctly what we denizens of this forum are all about. Who among us cannot relate? If everybody had that attitude, what a wonderful world this would be .... In fact, if someone set those words to music, it could be the Arachnoboards Theme Song!

p.s. Congrats on snagging such a flawless specimen, whatever it is!
Lol thanks. I kind of tried to premake a burrow toward the glass. Its already exploring it, hopefully it makes itself viewable.

Johnny1320

Arachnopeon
Well, that didnt take long! Unfortunately its not up against the glass but at least its probably happy in a burrow instead of barely any substrate in a quarantine tub. I did see them two months ago at the shop, but picked up a B. vagans that day instead. I'm wondering if our container is big enough for it. Its one of those walmart oxo knock offs and the surface area might be 3 times its leg span. I saw some of haplofool's youtube videos and I'm liking those clearview containers he had for his. I just hate to bother it with rehousing again. Should have been better prepared. Live and learn.

tebs

Arachnopeon
Very cool find. Where is this shop? Im from the NW burbs of the city nd is always looking for Ts.....or maybe you want to sell some to me? :D

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, that didnt take long! Unfortunately its not up against the glass but at least its probably happy in a burrow instead of barely any substrate in a quarantine tub. I did see them two months ago at the shop, but picked up a B. vagans that day instead. I'm wondering if our container is big enough for it. Its one of those walmart oxo knock offs and the surface area might be 3 times its leg span. I saw some of haplofool's youtube videos and I'm liking those clearview containers he had for his. I just hate to bother it with rehousing again. Should have been better prepared. Live and learn.

It looks just fine. Hole looks deep, and it is all they really need;)

Johnny1320

Arachnopeon
It looks just fine. Hole looks deep, and it is all they really need;)
I hope so. The container itself is only 10" tall and maybe 6x6". I put about 6" of substrate in it. It looked way smaller when it was in the quarantine huddled up. Then I touched its back leg and quickly learned how big and defensive it was. Go me!