Well, this HUGE bettle just flew into my living room. Any ideas? *PICS*

nickorette

Arachnopeon
I don't know much about bug species or anything, but I did just get a new camera, and it was handy, so I took a bunch of photos. I live in CT, USA. Any ideas as to what type of bug this is? It's probably the largest beetle I've ever seen around here.

Dorcus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looks like a Ceramybicdae. My guess is Orthosoma brunneum.

Dorcus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I disagree... If I recall correctly, there are only two Prionus sp. that can be found in the Eastern United States. Prionus pocularis and Prionus laticollis. Both do not get the "red" that this species has. Also, I don't think there are 12+ antennomeres... A clearer picture of the antenna would help.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
looks[initially] like a large sawyer beetle.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm going to agree with Beetleman. It looks identical to those pictured in my guide (including those spines on the prothorax), and the description lists one of the colors as "reddish brown."

The only difference I can see is that my guide doesn't show the bit of abdomen extending beyond the elytra.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I see them in the summer but they are jet black, and yes they are huge! It may be red because it didnt get it's full color yet.

When I was young I came upon a tree stump filled with grubs, big fat white grubs! I was too young to know how to raise them so they all died, but it was an interesting encounter for me.

I think beetle man was right, giant root borer(prionus sp)

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
simple as that..it appears to be a ssp of Prionus..
some that i collected in Ft Davis

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice spreading job on those wings. Spreading beetles wings is tricky, and I always seem to ruin really good specimens.

Dorcus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Guys, hate to break it to you, but it can't be a Prionus sp. if it doesn't have 12 or more segments on its antenna.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Guys, hate to break it to you, but it can't be a Prionus sp. if it doesn't have 12 or more segments on its antenna.
i couldnt get a good count.
maybe just some other type of longhorn

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice spreading job on those wings. Spreading beetles wings is tricky, and I always seem to ruin really good specimens.
thanks..i finally got the knack of it, after many tries.
the large beetles are even tougher.

Dorcus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lol.. Ted, wasn't talking about yours... Yours has 12-13 segments, and thus is either P. pocularis or P. laticollis (only two others have been recorded to have ranges in FL, but they have more antennomeres). As I said before, Orthosoma brunneum is my guess.

Here's to clear some things up. Both Orthosoma and Prionus are in the subfamily Prioninae, so therefore it is a Prioninae, but it is not a Prionus.

Last edited:

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lol.. Ted, wasn't talking about yours... Yours has 12-13 segments, and thus is either P. pocularis or P. laticollis (only two others have been recorded to have ranges in FL, but they have more antennomeres). As I said before, Orthosoma brunneum is my guess.

Here's to clear some things up. Both Orthosoma and Prionus are in the subfamily Prioninae, so therefore it is a Prioninae, but it is not a Prionus.
i agree..his may very well be a Orthosoma..i couldnt see the antennae on his very well.
I'm thinking mine is Pocularis..but havent taken the time to i.d it, yet.

bartoden

Arachnopeon
Orthosoma brunneum (Forster)

I agree with Dorcus. This specimen is consistant with specimens in my collection and keys out to Orthosoma brunneum in Dillon and Dillon (1961) "A Manual of Common Beetles of Eastern North America. It differs from the Prionids in having antennae segments simple and not serrate as I note in some postings online which are incorrect for O. brunneum.

I don't know much about bug species or anything, but I did just get a new camera, and it was handy, so I took a bunch of photos. I live in CT, USA. Any ideas as to what type of bug this is? It's probably the largest beetle I've ever seen around here.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nickorette, Very interesting antennae on that Cerambycid. I'm not keen on various spp although we have one or more sp that look somewhat like this in nw La -although the antennae not quite as cool-looking. Between those and the large black and white cottonwood borers, they can deliver a painful pinch. So don't get cocky like I did around age 10 and stick it to an area of soft skin to test it out {D

Terry