Well Then......

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
"Go in the cup please!"
"Stupid human you can't catch me" 20161129_000616.jpg 20161129_002034.jpg
Stupid spider sitting there all smug thinking he's better than me :shifty:

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
The first way I approached packing didn't go to we'll so I improvised. hes out of the enclosure so Imuch just letting him slowly wonder without getting in the way. I set the cup in front of him so he hopefully walks in on his own. if I get anywhere close to him with Tools he just flies.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
The first way I approached packing didn't go to we'll so I improvised. hes out of the enclosure so Imuch just letting him slowly wonder without getting in the way. I set the cup in front of him so he hopefully walks in on his own. if I get anywhere close to him with Tools he just flies.
Hopefully, you can steer him away from areas with furniture and stuff to hide under! Maybe you could offer a more tunnel/burrow-like enclosure like a narrow box? I'm thinking he probably won't go into the cup, but perhaps if you provide a hide that looks inviting? Then again, he's probably more interested in searching for love than a place to hide... I'm afraid I haven't any other ideas, sorry! :( I hope you're able to get him to safety!

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I got him contained in a small kritter keeper for the night until I can properly package him up.
I'm relieved to hear that! I would recommend that tomorrow's attempt be made in the bathroom, or some other relatively small enclosed room with limited number of places to hide -- just in case!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Agreed. Let the spider (and yourself) calm down overnight. Try again tomorrow in an enclosed area. You also don't want anything around that it can scurry behind.

With particularly difficult spiders, I'll dirty up the inside of the cup with some substrate. They hate the feeling of smooth plastic, and will often bolt out of whatever cup you're trying to use. Not surefire, the dirt just helps tip the scales in your favor.

louise f

Arachnoangel
When I'm about to ship spiders i lure them up at the sides of the enclosures, very very gentle and slowly, to prevent the T dont just fly away like that. then i take the container it will be shipped in over the T. and still very gentle, and then slowly slide the container from side to side until you are sure it has gotten all in and then close the lid.
If you want i can do a video to show how i do. Otherwise the best of luck.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
After a night in the Kittery Keever he was very cooperative. Just lifted the paper towel he was on our and into the cup. No running or hissing hooray.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've seen people use funnels and such for smaller slings.

He likely just wanted to be anywhere that wasn't so exposed.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Ah. That's my next rehouse -- my C fimbri. Looks like things might get interesting then. (weak chuckle, very weak chuckle)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Ah. That's my next rehouse -- my C fimbri. Looks like things might get interesting then. (weak chuckle, very weak chuckle)
Males are very flighty, even before they mature. The females will stand their ground and fight you hard... while they're in their enclosure. Once you get them out of their familiar environment, they much prefer to run and hide than to fight. Keep that in mind and you should be fine.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Males are very flighty, even before they mature. The females will stand their ground and fight you hard... while they're in their enclosure. Once you get them out of their familiar environment, they much prefer to run and hide than to fight. Keep that in mind and you should be fine.
I will, this was a learning experience for the books.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Dunno if mine is male or female -- mine's not one to hang on side and let me peek/guess, yannoe? And all its moults are deeply buried in his/her's elaborate tunnel system. Mine has been rehoused from shipping vial to a tiny souffle' cup, then from souffle' cup to a juvie enclosure. And at EACH re-housing, mine has escaped and required multiple attempts of re-cupping after crazy bolting. :(
But now mine is 2.5+ inches, a rehouse is urgent after next moult - simply gonna be too big to remain in a juvie enclosure. A better T keeper would have rehoused already.
I have zip ideas on getting mine out of its elaborate tunnels with, count them: 4 pop-up holes. All ideas seriously considered. I am at a loss.

(edited to add: not 'zip' ideas, I have seriously considered flooding enclosure and hoping to cup after escape. No, seriously.)

Last edited: