Well...thats neat

Turfrantula

Arachnopeon
20200515_104637.jpg
Standing outside listening to the wind/storm blow and then a crackling noise then boom down she goes. Old dead tree( oak?) Falls. My son (14) says "Well....that was neat". I investigated and im pretty sure i can cut this out and use it. I cut it with a hand saw, i like to use a stiff bristle brush and small chisel to clean with followed by boiling water bath, cold water rinse, diluted bleach bath, multiple rinses. In clean water(rinse new water rinse new water) then into the oven low and slow then air dried for a long time. Ive done this with other pieces and have had good luck. The opening is about 3.5 inches and maybe about 7 or 8 inches long

mellow

Arachnobaron
cool! I should go to some family land and see if I can find any cool stuff to add to my enclosures! :D

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 344740
Standing outside listening to the wind/storm blow and then a crackling noise then boom down she goes. Old dead tree( oak?) Falls. My son (14) says "Well....that was neat". I investigated and im pretty sure i can cut this out and use it. I cut it with a hand saw, i like to use a stiff bristle brush and small chisel to clean with followed by boiling water bath, cold water rinse, diluted bleach bath, multiple rinses. In clean water(rinse new water rinse new water) then into the oven low and slow then air dried for a long time. Ive done this with other pieces and have had good luck. The opening is about 3.5 inches and maybe about 7 or 8 inches long
I try and do this as much as I can too! Awesome find!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
View attachment 344740
I wouldn’t use bleach

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
After all the cleaning, boiling, disinfecting, heating, etc. you might not have much left to use.

I'd just clean it with a stiff brush and call it good. T's don't need sterile.

Turfrantula

Arachnopeon
The bleach (2 drop for 2.5gal of water) is just to kill off any unseen mold. Its pretty mild. The best part is when im drying it in the oven. My wife gets a little upset knowing that the wood in there has more moisture than her meatloaf.....which is the greatest ever...yum so good. In case she reads this

Dorifto

He who moists xD
As they told you the best method is the oven and the freezer.

Wood will suck the bleach and you only can rinse and clean the outside part.

Put it in the oven at 120°C, you need to check it constantly, one to not to burn it, and two, because you need to heat the whole piece, from outside to the inside.