Well that was strange....

14pokies

Arachnoprince
So I have a mature male GBB sitting about four inches away from an unsexed 1 3/4 in M.balfouri..

Slight drumming from my GBBs enclosure caught my attention.. So as I was watching him drum I noticed my balfouri slowly coming out of its burrow..
It has a web leading close to the lip of the lid of it's 32oz deli.. Once almost fully outside of the burrow close to the lid it started drumming back at my GBB..
It only lasted maybe thirty seconds but I found it pretty interesting...

I'm wondering if the balfouri was basically anouncing that the burrow was taken.. Lol

Any thoughts?

_scorpio_

Arachnopeon
Very interesting behaviour! I doubt it was meant in any way the same as the GBB's intentions. Maybe like you said its a defensive response.
Would be interested if someone has a better idea or has seen this too.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Hehe, i dont find it that strange. When i have MM`s in the house and they start their drum solo, they most likely start a chain reaction of multible T`s drumming back.
IMO they do it just as a natural thing/ instinct.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
GBB mature male: tap tap drum drum, where are the ladies at???
M.balfouri: hey you! stop the damn noise already, trying to sleep here! Don't make me come over there....

jerremaniac

Arachnopeon
Have you considered putting a miniature synthesizer or guitar in one of their cages? Maybe they're trying to start a band and are just limited to the only instrument they've got access to ;)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
@mistertim was right.. Just noticed the OBTS lid has been removed his hide is stuffed with fiftys and there's a machete under my bed...

Sneaky little devils, that was a close one!

Bread

Arachnopeon
Hehe, i dont find it that strange. When i have MM`s in the house and they start their drum solo, they most likely start a chain reaction of multible T`s drumming back.
IMO they do it just as a natural thing/ instinct.
You should try to get a video of that, sounds great!

_scorpio_

Arachnopeon
Slings couldnt be produced as animals of different genus are not able to hybridize. It is however a stupid thing to do and seems more likely to end up in two very damaged tarantulas.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ahh.. This video makes me cringe everytime I see it.. I don't think it was a courting response by my balfouri as it's only about two inches...
Well you were asking for any thoughts, in my opinion anything is possible and nature will always find away. Not saying that you should attempt too.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Well you were asking for any thoughts, in my opinion anything is possible and nature will always find away. Not saying that you should attempt too.
Man, just imagine a Rosebrown Pinktoe. Despite the dispute over hybridization, THAT would be awesome :D. My question to people, what would that T be like if it ever happened? Size, care, etc.?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Man, just imagine a Rosebrown Pinktoe. Despite the dispute over hybridization, THAT would be awesome :D.
Can't say that I agree man.
My question to people, what would that T be like if it ever happened? Size, care, etc.?
If anyone can answer this, it'd be pure speculation.

You can't really say hybridization is possible within a genus 100% accurately. Some species within a genus are sister species and can easily hybridize (some species may/can/do even hybridize in the wild). On the other end, my LPS knows someone who tried hybridizing a G. pulchra and a G. rosea (I think, I'm not too sure, I was distracted by the fact that the breeder hybridized on purpose lol). They had multiple sacs and they would all molt into 1st or 2nd instar than die. Only one survived and it survived until adulthood but apparently it was "nothing special" just a fluffy looking rose hair. Also, taxonomy changes all the time and a species that was thought to be in one genus may be moved to another.

I'm not an advocate for hybrid t's, but if we lived in a utopia where everyone was a responsible breeder and everyone would label their hybrids as hybrids, I'd be all for it.