Well it's a boy

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
About a year ago we bought a petstore avic (lets not go into that argument right now) and for the first time I was able to get a clean molt. I've been hoping for a female all this time but oh well. Also its a little sad knowing he might not ever get the chance to find love, since avics are known to be difficult to ID properly.

I'm pretty darn sure he is A. metallica, never been %100 though. If anyone wants s hot at trying to ID, I'll be happy to upload pictures

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@Blue Jaye, don't you have a mature female? Of course a proper ID would be needed first. I'd post pictures if I were you.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
@Blue Jaye, don't you have a mature female? Of course a proper ID would be needed first. I'd post pictures if I were you.
I have a pair of mature females I could compare him to as well. That might narrow it down even more. Pictures will have to wait until I can get a clear view of the T.

On the plus side I wont have to get a male shipped in for breeding (if it is truly A. metallica)

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I got a good look at the male. All white tipped setae, blueish-green undertones. He seems to be like my metallica females, though i don't know how well this confirms it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I got a good look at the male. All white tipped setae, blueish-green undertones. He seems to be like my metallica females, though i don't know how well this confirms it.

The information you described does not match A. metallica.

This doesn't confirm anything, other than having a pretty T. Any attempt at breeding this animal is a "hybrid", one certainly couldn't call progeny A. metallica. On top of that as you know, it will contaminate the gene pool of what we have for Avics, an already complex genus.

Even a picture won't tell us what it is, only guesses. Very, very few Avics can be ID via a pic as an adult, I can only think of 3. Metallica is not one of them.

Just enjoy him, but DO NOT breed him. No need for FrankenTs.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
The information you described does not match A. metallica.

This doesn't confirm anything, other than having a pretty T. Any attempt at breeding this animal is a "hybrid", one certainly couldn't call progeny A. metallica. On top of that as you know, it will contaminate the gene pool of what we have for Avics, an already complex genus.

Even a picture won't tell us what it is, only guesses. Very, very few Avics can be ID via a pic as an adult, I can only think of 3. Metallica is not one of them.

Just enjoy him, but DO NOT breed him. No need for FrankenTs.
How would a true A. metallica MM compare to females. It's been a while since I've had a look at one.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've only owned males unfortunately. Upon MM, they lose how pretty they are. Get a bit ruff looking at times IME. A bit like other males to be honest at times.

And if I recall, at least with mine, the white tipped setae, while present seemed to decrease quite a bit across the entire body. They didn't pop out as much.