Well, I'm hooked...

FatherOfDragnz

Arachnopeon
...on these things called Ts lol. I had been watching some YouTube videos for a bit about tarantulas, mostly the darkden channel for like 2 months. These videos and some others helped get me quite interested in keeping these "big ugly spiders". As I began seeing them all as very interesting and beautiful creatures and was amazed at some of the colors there are and the diversity among them and their web engineering!

So finally at my first reptile expo I've attended this past weekend I also decided to purchase my first T. My first tarantula is a Pterinochilus Murinus sling.

After that now a few days later I just couldn't resist and found a local area breeder here and this same week I got my first I met up with a breeder to get my second purchase, a Pterinopelma Sazimai sling. He was also kind enough to give me a bonus Grammostola Pulchripes sling for driving up to meet with him. So my collection basically tripled in about as many days lol and I'm ready for more.

I'm looking at purchasing in another few days my first arboreal species since my first 3 are all terrestrial so far and I am strongly considering getting a Poecilotheria.

But long story short, I'm hooked on these guys and dont know when I'll stop!

RonnyT

Arachnosquire
An OBT for your first T? That's interesting, but if you care for it properly and respect what it can do, you should have no problem. (Some members will probably question the choice of an OBT as a starter)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Meh. Hope you did your research first and know it's not a good idea.

Learn their care before collecting them like candy. Nothing more annoying than a beginner with 20 slings asking how to tell premolt. There's no rush.

Last edited:

athlete96

Arachnosquire
So you're a mature male then?

Padum tssss.

I agree with everyone on here though, you'll have yourself a good time just with the OBT and pokie. Wait a few months. Give yourself sometime to adjust to their temperaments, needs, and quirks.

FatherOfDragnz

Arachnopeon
So you're a mature male then?

Padum tssss.

I agree with everyone on here though, you'll have yourself a good time just with the OBT and pokie. Wait a few months. Give yourself sometime to adjust to their temperaments, needs, and quirks.
Yeah, as of now I'm planning on one of the pokies, possibly the vittata, as id like to have an arboreal as well. I am considering other pokies though and looking up some other arboreals as local guy has quite the selection. Once I have the 1, maybe 2, arboreal slings along with the 3 I have so far I don't plan on getting anything else for a while.

It's kinda hard not to get excited and not want to keep more though haha especially since I can easily feed and have time to care for more. (Large dubia colony I breed). But yes I plan on stopping at 4 or 5 for a bit and see how they do.

FatherOfDragnz

Arachnopeon
An OBT for your first T? That's interesting, but if you care for it properly and respect what it can do, you should have no problem. (Some members will probably question the choice of an OBT as a starter)
Yeah lol I know. I was hesitant to say what my first T purchase was as I've seen how the opinions on the OBT can go. They are really attractive though and I am aware of their reputation and plan on being careful with him and letting it have it's space and not bothering it more then needed.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
Always be self aware with your OBT and you will be fine. They are super easy to care for. A lot has to do with giving them an adequate set up. Whenever I work with mine they retreat into their tunnels. My only problems I have had, if you can call them problems at all, is that my LP went through a bolting stage and my P. pulcher likes to threaten me on a regular basis, sometimes when I just walk up to her enclosure.

FatherOfDragnz

Arachnopeon
Always be self aware with your OBT and you will be fine. They are super easy to care for. A lot has to do with giving them an adequate set up. Whenever I work with mine they retreat into their tunnels. My only problems I have had, if you can call them problems at all, is that my LP went through a bolting stage and my P. pulcher likes to threaten me on a regular basis, sometimes when I just walk up to her enclosure.
Thank you for the advice. I have been looking at others enclosures for later on since its only about .5" currently (what I bought it as but definitely undet 1" anyway) I work at a petco now and can get different critter keepers for cheap and there's a "The Container Store" near me to always explore lol.

I have picked up from videos though that I always look around the enclosure before anything to know where he is or at least make sure hes not on the lid or anything before opening

Swoop

Arachnosquire
My opinion, you'll want to be very careful about how you house your pets. Having OW slings means more rehouses and the ability to squeeze through smaller gaps/ventilation holes.

Despite the dangers associated with OW's, many people with no business even owning a cricket are able to raise them successfully without being bitten. Australians can't even get NW species so every Australian hobbyist is an example that it can be done.

Anyway, if you want arboreals consider Psalmopoeus irminia or cambridgei. New World species, still quick and mean but less potent venom than a pokie.

Jonroe

Arachnopeon
Ah you guys look at it from the wrong angle, at least those spiders will make sure the op won't get into handling. ;)
I bought my first T from a petstore and they gave me a P. Cambridgei without a word of warning.
I didn't really know what I got, I was very stupid about getting into the hobby, but she (the spider) made sure I didn't attempt touching her.

The second spider from the same store was A. Geiculata so that sealed the deal. :rofl:

FatherOfDragnz

Arachnopeon
Ah you guys look at it from the wrong angle, at least those spiders will make sure the op won't get into handling. ;)
I bought my first T from a petstore and they gave me a P. Cambridgei without a word of warning.
I didn't really know what I got, I was very stupid about getting into the hobby, but she (the spider) made sure I didn't attempt touching her.

The second spider from the same store was A. Geiculata so that sealed the deal. :rofl:
Lol good point. I don't plan on handling anything at all. These are my "ew gross you keep big hairy spiders" no touch only look display and freak people out pets

I have my bearded dragons and dubia roaches if I want to touch anything lol

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
'Interesting', you say, my man? o_O

Normal 'routine' to read, on the other hand. More or less like when, at school, you are forced to read a boring classic book for the 100th time :dead:

but it's ok, uh, for me. Their choice :)

Toddydog

Arachnosquire
I know how you feel. I'm 3 weeks in and I've got 3 T's. I almost bought a 4th today but I need to show restraint. Unlike you my first was a B. Smithi. But then I turned around a bought a P. Metalica and then an A. geniculata Which I got a deal on so I really couldn't pass it up.
There's a bit of a stigma that beginners shouldn't own old worlds but I think that's if you use proper precaution anyone could care for an OW. I just make sure I do extensive research on all my T's before I buy them.

Last edited: