Well, I'm hooked...

cold blood

Staff member
Yes I am staying positive and happy to be here and want to be for a long while. I wasn't trying to take anything personal
Good to hear.

I would think you can agree some posts were a little over the top in regards to the fact I got an OBT sling first
Not really....this was pretty mild...there have, in the past, been a few that devolved completely....I'm talking mods come in and shut it down and erase everything.....this didn't come close...mostly because you weren't that defensive...not like some people are anyway.
are the fact they are pretty cheap and from my research are a very hardy species
Yeah and that's a care sheet issue. Truth is that all good beginner species are super hardy...its one of those things that make me shake my head whenever i hear...but its out there a lot on the internet...and cheap, yeah, but they will always be cheap, in fact, in time, if you maintain this hobby, like LPs, OBTS will be basically unavoidable. I've never bought one, have owned more than a dozen....but there are also many great beginners that are equally as cheap.
long as I was aware of their reputation and showed it respect and am careful they are a wonderful T to have
And this goes back to what I was saying....as when its small, its a super easy t to take care of in every way...the thing about them is that they are super easy, then one day you go to do something or do a re-house and you realize nothing about this t is what you expected or had experienced the entire time prior. They're super easy, till they aren't.

Do not be worried about putting it into an adult cage early. With a lot of room and good depth to burrow and proper hiding places, chances of seeing the demon come out in them go way down...but they are the classic, lull you to sleep, then instantly expunge your entire adrenal gland in one instant of OMG:eek: what the hell just happened.:confused:

And they grow stupid fast, even when you try to slow growth. This is something care sheets don't tell you....in a year you could have a 5" beast, in half that time a nasty spider....this means they grow faster than you will as a keeper.
On that not I got the sazimai because I knew I also wanted a brazilian species early on as I am portuguese myself and couldn't find anything on native Ts of portugal but I'm always a fan of creatures from Brazil also amd my Grammostola was a bonus when I picled up the Sazimai.
Man these are both a couple of good ones, you are gonna love watching these grow up.

I will say I was also hesitant to post here because of basically the sort of reactions I recieved on the OBT sling
Glad you joined the fray.
I actually debated for a few days on actually joining and asking anything or talking about and asking for suggestions on species for my collection since I knew the "what did you get first and what do you have" questions would arise
This will all go away and subside in time....in time none of this will even matter and you can re-read it with a smile on your face:happy:....or maybe not if you decide you hate all of us...lol:astonished:

You are not the only person here that started with such a t...many of them did fine, many of them recount to new keepers why it was a big mistake...Warnings are experienced based, and intended to help you make fewer mistakes, not the result of fear mongering...take care and never stop asking questions if you have them.

Last edited:

FatherOfDragnz

Arachnopeon
Good to hear.

Not really....this was pretty mild...there have, in the past, been a few that devolved completely....I'm talking mods come in and shut it down and erase everything.....this didn't become close...mostly because you weren't that defensive...not like some people are anyway.

Yeah and that's a care sheet issue. Truth is that all good beginner species are super hardy...its one of those things that make me shake my head whenever Ai hear...but its out there a lot on the internet...and cheap, yeah, but they will always be cheap, in fact, in time, if you maintain this hobby, like LPs, OBTS will be basically unavoidable. I've never bought one, have owned more than a dozen....but there are also many great beginners that are equally as cheap.

And this goes back to what I was saying....as when its small, its a super easy t to take care of n every way...the thing about them is that they are super easy, then one day you go to do something or do a re-house and you realize nothing about this t is what you expected or had the entire time prior. They're super easy, till they aren't.

Do not be worried about putting it into an adult cage early. With a lot of room and good depth to burrow and proper hiding places, chances of seeing the demon come out in them go way down...but they are the classic, lull you to sleep, then instantly expunge your entire adrenal gland in one instant of OMG:eek: what the hell just happened.:confused:

And they grow stupid fast, even when you try to slow growth. This is something care sheets don't tell you....in a year you could have a 5" beast, in half that time a nasty spider....this means they grow faster than you will as a keeper, cause they won't teach you any more about them when young then your sazimi will until that day.

Man these are both a couple of good ones, you are gonna love watching these grow up.

Glad you joined the fray.

This will all go away and subside in time....in time none of this will even matter and you can re-read it with a smile on your face:happy:....or maybe not if you decide you hate all of us...lol:astonished:

You are not the only person here that started with such a t...many of them dd fine, many of them recount to new keepers why it was a big mistake...Warnings are experienced based, and intended to help you make fewer mistakes, not the result of fear mongering...take care and never stop asking questions if you have them.
Ok thank you. I definitely plan on doing all I can to be cautious and careful and learn. I will admit I did also question the OBT at first but I either usually do nothing and just keep reading or research or after some time reading and looming things up ill just say ok and jump right in.

In the end though I'm glad I bought it and we'll see how it goes as I don't want to just give him away or quit on it.

Fast growth is actually,kind of an attraction on my first for me since I did buy as slings lol (I do have a much too large dubia colony id like to be able to feed off some adults)

FatherOfDragnz

Arachnopeon
Also on the arboreal subject, I am open to more suggestions on species. I am as I said attracted to pokie patterns but I will check out others. Particularly any that are heavy webbers as I find a Ts web engineering and the condos they make themselves very fascinating as well

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Also on the arboreal subject, I am open to more suggestions on species. I am as I said attracted to pokie patterns but I will check out others. Particularly any that are heavy webbers as I find a Ts web engineering and the condos they make themselves very fascinating as well
That sounds like every Avicularia species ever. Also, pretty much all arboreal species web (there's a few exceptions but still), and all of them are pretty in their own way. It has been mentioned a few times but Psalmopoeus species sound perfect.

FatherOfDragnz

Arachnopeon
That sounds like every Avicularia species ever. Also, pretty much all arboreal species web (there's a few exceptions but still), and all of them are pretty in their own way. It has been mentioned a few times but Psalmopoeus species sound perfect.
Ok thanks. I've looked at some of the Avicularia species listed by the guy I buy from but I haven't looked at any Psalmopoeus yet, I'll check them out. I do like the versicolor, even thought it's not an avic I guess anymore

FatherOfDragnz

Arachnopeon
Why not just order one online? Is it the fact that you'll probably end up with more than one spider?
No, but why pay shipping when I can just drive about an hour away to pickup? Lol. I also always prefer being able to pickup if I can to spare an animal any unnecessary stress.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Im glad this thread calmed down. Theres some weird phenomenon where half the newbies that join read things with the wrong tone and end up burning all their bridges before theyre even built. Its easy to do, and easier to get worked up over. Just read things with a mono-tone and its no longer an issue. But really, nobody wants to be negative, anyways.
Heavy webbing arboreal, you say? My Psalmopoeus cambridgei has webbed more than my GBB. All of my research said "They burrow as slings and move up as they grow." But my 3/4" sling (now nearly 3" just a few months later) said "Burrow? I dont need no stinkin burrow." and created a web labyrinth that covers everything except its water dish. Its done that in both enclosures its been in. Plenty of attitude to satisfy your obvious needs, as well.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
Ok thank you for the advice. I'm merely considering a pokie right now as I would like 1 or 2 arboreal species to round me out for now and was considering pokies as I really enjoy the coloring and patterns they have. I am open to looking at any other recommended species of arboreal T though and was hoping for some more suggestions on what to check out in those regards apart from the pokies.
I strongly suggest a P. cam. I have pokies and I prefer the P. cam. The pokies like to hide and are super touchy. My P. cam was bold and always out in the open. Additionally, it would stalk its prey like a jungle cat.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
What exactly do some of you want him to do? Bring them back, then neatly follow your advice on what to do and don't?
I don't understand what you're achieving with face palms and fearmongering.

Maybe keep in mind you are talking to an adult and have some respect like your face to face. I know hard on the internet, please have some restraint.
It would be easier to understand your post if you quoted whoever your referring too. All I see is good advice in this thread. Maybe some joking around with the first few responses...but nothing even close to fear mongering. If one of my friends wanted to get into the hobby and started out with those species, you bet your ass I would say something. Ill take good straight advice from experienced keepers over sugarcoated responses any day. No need to beat around the bush.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I strongly suggest a P. cam. I have pokies and I prefer the P. cam. The pokies like to hide and are super touchy. My P. cam was bold and always out in the open. Additionally, it would stalk its prey like a jungle cat.
I swear that all of my tarantulas are broken, my P. cam is as reclusive as everyone says Pokies and P. irminia are and my P. irminia and Pokies are out in the open as much as everyone say P. cams are :rofl:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's nice to see an enthusiastic new T owner, though not with the species picked.

I will say watching YouTube is basically useless all things being equal. People come here watching YouTube full of more WRONG information than they do having read info off of AB. However, YouTube is excellent for watching tutorials on making cages.

I've read everyone's posts. This post is not too different than any previous new person who has picked an OW, esp OBT or Pokie, and people try to inform said owner, and said owner thinks people are talking down to him/her and acting as "know it alls". It's a common defense mechanism for people who are told they are wrong. No one here is a know it all, and no one here has acted like it in my opinion.

My first tarantula is a Pterinochilus Murinus sling.
One of the worst choices based on disposition, OW etc, one of the best in terms of how hardy they are. You would have been better off with a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens based on one of your posts in this thread as it's equally as hardy.

I am strongly considering getting a Poecilotheria
Poor choice- checkout Avics or Psalmo

dont know when I'll stop
I hope sooner rather than later. Too many new people collect slings like they are Skittles. They end up with a fast growing OW that rapidly exceeds the owners ability to properly care for it. This could be you in the future, or maybe not. There's no way of knowing for sure from reading the posts.

at least those spiders will make sure the op won't get into handling
Don't be so sure. We have seen people with a P metallica in their mouth.

which merely lulls an inexperienced keeper into a false sense of confidence
So true, and so common unfortunately.

I'd also like to point I'm not your average noob hobbyist. I have always kept some type of animal and have had many different kinds of animals and I am always watching, reading and researching
Owning other animals teaches you virtually nothing about owning a tarantula. They are different animals than say a lizard, snake, frog etc..I've owned mammals, fish, reptiles and amphibians for many decades. Not a single piece of info from the diverse ownership has helped me with a tarantula.

Owning animals prior to owning a T is only helpful in knowing that your cherished pet will eat, drink and poop (some people don't even know the 2nd one for Ts).

I'd like to point out that just because someone has kept any "calmer" species before hand though, as others have stated, doesn't mean that that person would be prepared for a faster and more potent T
This not necessarily true. There is merit to the ladder system as we call it around here. Does this mean you will fail-- NO. However, there are reasons pilots aren't taught in a 767 first, over a prop plane when learning how to fly. This is no different in some ways.

explain things to someone then having an attitude of knowing anything and everything and basically saying what you have and are doing is stupid
There has been no attitude of knowing everything. Indeed none of us know it all about these animals.

and fearmongering
There has been no fear mongering hahaah

Maybe keep in mind you are talking to an adult
In point of fact, how do you know the age of OP ?? We have teenagers on here all the time. Some are more articulate than some of the adults.

Psalmopoeus irminia pretty attractive as well
They are indeed. Highly photosensitive and thus reclusive. I've owned these and P. pulcher. I find P. pulcher better on those 2 issues. P cam are even larger and even better than P pulcher on average in those 2 categories.

Jonroe

Arachnopeon
Ok @viper69 and @Nightstalker47, rereading this I agree I over reacted. I get really touchy when I feel people get mistreated.
I'll try and keep a little more distance in the future.

It's my nature/personality.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Hmm looking at what I can get locally, I find the Psalmopoeus irminia pretty attractive as well.
They are beautiful spiders, but high strung, absurdly defensive and reclusive. I would definitely go for one in the future, maybe as your second psalmopoeus sp.
20171223_220044.jpg
I can wholeheartedly recommend the P.cam, always out in the open, great feeding response and lots to learn from keeping them. Perfect bridge to OW arboreals IMO. And they are so much fun to keep. 20170601_204754.jpg 20180101_133131.jpg