Votes: 12 27.3%
  • I love lollipops

Votes: 20 45.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
So, you admit that the relative humidity plays a role in how the air can take moisture from the exuvia during molting process? 😂😂😂
No. As long as the sub is moist and the spider is hydrated internally the humidity could be 0%.

The molt will be perfect.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Problem is well ventilated enclosures with moist substrate in dry enviorments will only get the ambient humidity to 20-30% when watered and slowly drop until next watering.

20-30% is considered dry air. It might as well be 0%.
I can keep it drier if you want, 😉 I'll look like a raisin, with a raspy voice, and a skin falling in pieces 😂😂😂😂

No. As long as the sub is moist and the spider is hydrated internally the humidity could be 0%.

The molt will be perfect.
If the humidity was zero, it would take the moisture from both, substrate and exuvia too quickly, and much quicker depending on factors like ventilation and heat.

I'm not saying that a healthy well hydrated tharantula couldn't molt in such conditions, but if a sick or dehydrated tropical tarantula tries to molt, it could have problems.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
my wife hates the word moist. I like water dishes and overflowing them to keep the substrate moist. A couple of my Ts think that isn't enough so they dump their dishes. If the susbstrate is moist and there's a water dish the evaporative effect will raise humidity slightly, but I am guessing fairly negligible. So I guess I lean to the air flow side of the debate.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I can keep it drier if you want, 😉 I'll look like a raisin, with a raspy voice, and a skin falling in pieces 😂😂😂😂
Very simple question: Do people in Southern California, Arizona, Nevada need humidifiers to keep tropical species? If the answer is NO (which it is). Then air humidity does NOT matter. Moist substrate BARELY raises the relative humidity in well ventilated enclosures by such a little % it is not enough to have an effect. 10% or so without moist sub to 25% or so with it.

10% or 25%...whats the difference? Either way they are tropical species (that in the wild are in 75%+ humidity) being kept in DRY AIR.

Last edited:

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Can you have a Malamute dog in SoCal, Arizona, Nevada... etc? Yes you can, will it survive? Yes, are these conditions ideal? No

You can apply this to almost every hard specie.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Can you have a Malamute dog in SoCal, Arizona, Nevada... etc? Yes you can, will it survive? Yes, are these conditions ideal? No

You can apply this to almost every hard specie.
People have kept every species in those states. From sling to adult. Millions of spiders. Just as successful as in any other part of the world. The conditions are IDEAL because only the moisture in the soil matters. Not what your hygrometer reads.

Again.....if it DID matter....people in those states would ALL have humidifiers if the conditions were so BAD or "not optimal". But people have been on the hobby there for 20,30+ years with great results. There is simply no need. A humidifier costs less then $100..dont you think people would have realized a bunch of abnormal bad molts and stuff if humidity mattered? LOL

They trust their precious, priceless, expensive collections and won't fork over a $100 bill for ideal conditions?!🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
This seems like a debate that originated from another thread and this poll is here to prove who is right and who is wrong. Doesn't seem like much of a discussion, rather an argument between 2 individuals.

I am going to vote Lollipop, but by all means my popcorn is next to me, please continue:happy:

Dorifto

He who moists xD
People have kept every species in those states. From sling to adult. Millions of spiders. Just as successful as in any other part of the world. The conditions are IDEAL because only the moisture in the soil matters. Not what your hygrometer reads.

Again.....if it DID matter....people in those states would ALL have humidifiers if the conditions were so BAD or "not optimal". But people have been on the hobby there for 20,30+ years with great results. There is simply no need. A humidifier costs less then $100..dont you think people would have realized a bunch of abnormal bad molts and stuff if humidity mattered? LOL

They trust their precious, priceless, expensive collections and won't fork over a $100 bill for ideal conditions?!🤣🤣🤣🤣
People do really stupid things from the beginnings of the humanity. 50 years ago people believed that dogs did not have any kind of feelings. Few years ago, Ts were keeped in poorly setup deli cups, or boxes, because "they live in holes". I'm pretty sure that in the near future some things will change.

This seems like a debate that originated from another thread and this poll is here to prove who is right and who is wrong. Doesn't seem like much of a discussion, rather an argument between 2 individuals.

I am going to vote Lollipop, but by all means my popcorn is next to me, please continue:happy:
Almost nobody arguments... Everybody loves lollipops 😂😂😂

I hope that people will encourage to argument about their possition on this matter.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What do you think about humidity, does it matters? ...
My thoughts, backed up by more or less scientific arguments, are here - MYTHS: RELATIVE HUMIDITY.

May all the holes in your path hold large, fuzzy spiders.

A large part of the cause for our ignorance about the details of a tarantula's existence is due to the complexity of their lifestyles. They've had at least a quarter of a billion years of evolution to meet and solve all their most pressing survival challenges.

How audacious that we think we can learn all there is to know about them in even a lifetime!
How dare we disparagingly call them primitive!

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
My thoughts, backed up by more or less scientific arguments, are here - MYTHS: RELATIVE HUMIDITY.

A large part of the cause for our ignorance about the details of a tarantula's existence is due to the complexity of their lifestyles. They've had at least a quarter of a billion years of evolution to meet and solve all their most pressing survival challenges.

How audacious that we think we can learn all there is to know about them in even a lifetime!

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel

Thanks for chiming in :)

On that note this thread should now be closed!

Last edited:

Dorifto

He who moists xD

I read your article some years ago just before starting in this hobby and it was very useful to me! 😉👌🏼

So do you believe that there is a possibility that WC Ts you call them swamp dwellers that fail molting etc could be due to not to have the same humidity levels as in their habitats? Because that's interesting point that could help some people.

Also being more specific, what do you think about taking those species to completely dry enviroments like SoCal, Arizona... etc where thr humidity is extremely low compared to their habitats. Do you believe that they could need a special attention in this section?

Thanks!!!

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Big thanks Stan!!!

I read your article some years ago just before starting in this hobby and it was very useful to me! 😉👌🏼

So do you believe that there is a possibility that WC Ts you call them swamp dwellers that fail molting etc could be due to not to have the same humidity levels as in their habitats? Because that's interesting point that could help some people.

Also being more specific, what do you think about taking those species to completely dry enviroments like SoCal, Arizona... etc where thr humidity is extremely low compared to their habitats. Do you believe that they could need a special attention in this section?

Thanks!!!
I realize these questions were not directed toward me, but I will respond anyways. :)

It stands to reason that any tarantula that evolved in a perpetually damp environment such as a rain forest would not have developed a means to retain water as well as the species from drier, more xeric environments. High humidity slows down the rate of evaporation of water from within an organism. If a tarantula does not develop an adaptation to dry environments, then the rate of which water evaporates from their bodies will be dangerously high causing desiccation. The same principle applies to humans which can suffer heat exhaustion much faster in a high heat/ high humidity environment. Since our bodies cool by the process of sweat evaporating from the surface of our skin, anything that slows down that evaporation is a severe danger to our health.

In captivity, tarantulas from rain forests need to have their enclosures setup with damp substrate due to that lack of adaption to dry conditions. Of course, some tropical species seem to be better at adapting to dry conditions than others. Keeping and raising all three species of Theraphosa myself, which are known to be particularly sensitive to perpetually dry conditions, I can say that the humidity doesn't make much of a difference but rather they need to be in contact with damp substrate to be comfortable. Prolonged exposure to dry substrate will cause physical distress which manifests in huddling in their hide, reluctance to eat, chronic pacing or climbing, and/ or standing over their water dish. The reason for this is debatable and needs research. I believe one hypothesis is that rain forest species do not have as thick of an exo or epi cuticle as species from xeric environments which serves to prevent water loss. A recent study on evaportive water loss in a tarantula species showed that the majority of water loss occurred from the book lungs. However, that study did not use a tropical species of tarantula nor did it make any comparisons with such. However, my own observations of Theraphosa species in captivity show that the their undersides need to be in close proximity to humid air to be comfortable since they have shown signs of physical distress even if the humidity in their enclosure was high (>50%) but the substrate dry. Whether that is because their book lungs need to be exposed to humid air or Theraphosa species lose water from their presumably thin cuticle, or maybe both, is unknown.

In the tarantula keeping community, there is too much emphasis on humidity in itself when the level of moisture in the substrate that is of key concern. Higher levels of water in the substrate is naturally going to raise the humidity in their enclosure as the water evaporates, but their bodies are in direct contact with the substrate so the humidity is of no real concern. In other words, the concern should be more focused on how much water they are resting on, not how much water is in the air several inches, or feet, above their heads.

So to answer the main question of whether a "swamp dweller" taken from their native tropical ecosystems and putting them in a state like Arizona or California, which is dry, will need special attention... Yes, they will most certainly need special attention! That special attention will be on making sure the substrate in their enclosures are consistently damp enough to make them comfortable and to decrease ventilation enough to where the rate of evaporation is as low as possible to keep from having to water it all the time. One who keeps a "swamp dweller" will need to be pay attention to signs of distress as well to make sure they are keeping up with proper husbandry.

Last edited:

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I realize these questions were not directed toward me, but I will respond anyways. :)

It stands to reason that any tarantula that evolved in a perpetually damp environment such as a rain forest would not have developed a means to retain water as well as the species from drier, more xeric environments. High humidity slows down the rate of evaporation of water from within an organism. If a tarantula does not develop an adaptation to dry environments, then the rate of which water evaporates from their bodies will be dangerously high causing desiccation. The same principle applies to humans which can suffer heat exhaustion much faster in a high heat/ high humidity environment. Since our bodies cool by the process of sweat evaporating from the surface of our skin, anything that slows down that evaporation is a severe danger to our health.

In captivity, tarantulas from rain forests need to have their enclosures setup with damp substrate due to that lack of adaption to dry conditions. Of course, some tropical species seem to be better at adapting to dry conditions than others. Keeping and raising all three species of Theraphosa myself, which are known to be particularly sensitive to perpetually dry conditions, I can say that the humidity doesn't make much of a difference but rather they need to be in contact with damp substrate to be comfortable. Prolonged exposure to dry substrate will cause physical distress which manifests in huddling in their hide, reluctance to eat, chronic pacing or climbing, and/ or standing over their water dish. The reason for this is debatable and needs research. I believe one hypothesis is that rain forest species do not have as thick of an exo or epi cuticle as species from xeric environments which serves to prevent water loss. A recent study on evaportive water loss in a tarantula species showed that the majority of water loss occurred from the book lungs. However, that study did not use a tropical species of tarantula nor did it make any comparisons with such. However, my own observations of Theraphosa species in captivity show that the their undersides need to be in close proximity to humid air to be comfortable since they have shown signs of physical distress even if the humidity in their enclosure was high (>50%) but the substrate dry. Whether that is because their book lungs need to be exposed to humid air or Theraphosa species lose water from their presumably thin cuticle, or maybe both, is unknown.

In the tarantula keeping community, there is too much emphasis on humidity in itself when the level of moisture in the substrate that is of key concern. Higher levels of water in the substrate is naturally going to raise the humidity in their enclosure as the water evaporates, but their bodies are in direct contact with the substrate so the humidity is of no real concern. In other words, the concern should be more focused on how much water they are resting on, not how much water is in the air several inches, or feet, above their heads.
Thanks AphonopelmaTX!!

The question was/is for anyone who could/can add their two cents regarding this question! So thanks for answering!!!

That's the kind of answer we are looking for!!

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel

So to answer the main question of whether a "swamp dweller" taken from their native tropical ecosystems and putting them in a state like Arizona or California, which is dry, will need special attention... Yes, they will most certainly need special attention! That special attention will be on making sure the substrate in their enclosures are consistently damp enough to make them comfortable and to decrease ventilation enough to where the rate of evaporation is as low as possible to keep from having to water it all the time. One who keeps a "swamp dweller" will need to be pay attention to signs of distress as well to make sure they are keeping up with proper husbandry.
Thank you! Exactly what ive said time and time again. All that matters is the sub moisture and not the air humidity. The air humidity only effects how often you need to dampen the sub.

You, CB, and the legend Stan Schulz have all agreed with me.

My earlier statement, pretty much just re explained:

"You can have BOTH a moist substrate tank with a very low relative humidity. As long as the substrate is moist for a tropical species...the ambient humidity could be 20% like it would be in Arizona or 100% like it would be in Florida.

Both specimens would thrive.

Thats the whole point of this.

The AMBIENT humidity does not matter one bit. It is all about the substrate moisture.

Substrate moisture WILL raise the humidity but in a well ventilated enclosure in a dry climate...not much at all. The ambient humidity would still be INCREDIBLY low. After all the air coming through those vents is dry as a whistle. The only difference is that you would need to put moisture in more often then in a more humid climate."

This case is CLOSED.

Better luck next time @Dorifto aka Mushroom Head Aka Bananas

😁

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Ok that's solved. Now on to the mystery of D.B. Cooper....

I'm seriously thinking about ventilation now. How much is enough....

Dorifto

He who moists xD
This case is CLOSED.

Better luck next time @Dorifto aka Mushroom Head Aka Bananas

😁
This has only just begun... :cool::cool::cool:

What about the tropical arboreals that don´t live in the damp substrate eh eh eh!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: do they benefit from the air´s humidity in dry enviroments? The substrate dampness is the key, but does it help? This and much more today in AB,... do not miss it... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ok that's solved. Now on to the mystery of D.B. Cooper....

It will depend on where you live and outside´s relative humidity hahahahahaha

Last edited:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Almost no such thing as too much ventilation, when done properly, in my opinion.
(Properly meaning: right sized holes, good location, cross ventilation)

Jess S

Arachnobaron
This has only just begun... :cool::cool::cool:

What about the tropical arboreals that don´t live in the damp substrate eh eh eh!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: do they benefit from the air´s humidity in dry enviroments. The substrate dampness is a key, but does it help? This and much more today in AB,... do not miss it... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

It will depend on where you live and outside´s relative humidity hahahahahaha
Oh brilliant 😂👌😂

Status
Not open for further replies.