Welcome Chicobolus Spinigerus Miami

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Awesome! I think those are ebony but haven’t heard them referenced by Miami, learn something new everyday!

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
They weren’t sold to me as ebony. The adults he had reminded me of the photos from Orin’s book.

Lucanus95

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I labeled them as "Miami" since that's where they originate from. So far all the southern Chicobolus populations I've encountered (Miami-Dade County down to the Keys) had black body with thin white stripes. I bet the "ebony" sold in the market comes from this area.

Lucanus95

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
and I hope these stay labeled as "Miami" in the hobby. There are way too many Chicobolus variations available in the hobby with no clear locality information.

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
I plan on keeping the Miami tag with mine as they yield offspring. I am getting tons on inquiries on them. They are so beautiful, I am surprised that these aren’t more common in the millipede world. I lucked up Alan when I ran across you on FB. You have been awesome to work with. You also know more about the origin of your species than anyone else I work with. But then again most of us don’t spend the time to go find them ourselves.

Chicobolus spinigerus are one of my favorite species because of their natural variations. I keep all my Chicobolus spinigerus isolated to keep their genetics clean. I am not sure of the origin of my Rainbow and Salmon that I purchased from 2 other sellers. I would love to be able to track those back to an origin.

Last edited:

SeaNettle

Arachnopeon
I plan on keeping the Miami tag with mine as they yield offspring. I am getting tons on inquiries on them. They are so beautiful, I am surprised that these aren’t more common in the millipede world. I lucked up Alan when I ran across you on FB. You have been awesome to work with. You also know more about the origin of your species than anyone else I work with. But then again most of us don’t spend the time to go find them ourselves.

Chicobolus spinigerus are one of my favorite species because of their natural variations. I keep all my Chicobolus spinigerus isolated to keep their genetics clean. I am not sure of the origin of my Rainbow and Salmon that I purchased from 2 other sellers. I would love to be able to track those back to an origin.
Since you try to keep the genetics of these clean and they are among your favorites. Have you ever had some of the common one's bread and produce offspring that had variations in color? I ask as I want to know if it's more worthwhile just to purchase ones with the desired genetics, or I may just end up with some with desired genetics.

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
Since you try to keep the genetics of these clean and they are among your favorites. Have you ever had some of the common one's bread and produce offspring that had variations in color? I ask as I want to know if it's more worthwhile just to purchase ones with the desired genetics, or I may just end up with some with desired genetics.
I purchased juvenile. So I am not positive what the probability would be. My understanding is that those traits are restricted to certain populations in FL.