Weirdest Feeding Observations

Craig73

Arachnoangel
What’s the weirdest thing you observed your T do when feeding?

I had two tonight. One of the T. panama’s ‘plays’ with its food; second time I’ve observed it. It catches the prey and appears to be ready to eat, releases it, chases it again and this goes on for some time. No defensive behavior and eventually kills it and eats. The prey was well within the appropriate size for this T.

Second one was one of the A. bicoloratum. Pounced on the prey, landed on its back with roach in mouth and stayed like that for about 30 minutes. I thought it died or a spontaneous molt.

I swear it must be a full moon.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
commenting to follow - i drop feed so i never really see feeding responses but this is über interesting
I drop feed as well and do a round or two to inspect progress. The closest I can describe the T. panama response was as if it was practicing catching. It was a deliberate grab, hold, release, and full on chase each time to the point it would corner the roach in a few cases. I watched this for about eight rounds, came back awhile later and it was eating. That poor roach was probably like ‘WHY!’ 😳

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
you don't watch them hunt? You are missing out!

I swear i always thought nothing could top the feeding response of my Pamphobeteus sp. machala spiders but ever since i got the juvenile G. rosea i have been proven wrong time and time again.

Not only does this tiny 3" thing regularily land on its back when catching prey its also the only spider that calmly walks towards light or me if it feels the air currents of my breath.

I never thought of my spiders as adorable but "she" (still unconformed) might just fall into that category.

Never experienced anything i would call weird. Well maybe, one of my Poecilotheria slings touching a pinhead cricked at it's cercus followed by a mutual 5min game of who moves first and a subsequent flipping of both animals into the air with the spider landing upside down in its waterdish.

Last edited:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
its also the only spider that calmly walks towards light or me if it feels the air currents of my breath.
Thats awesome. My suspect male G. iheringi does this. Just got a female and hoping for the same.

of my Poecilotheria slings touching a pinhead cricked at it's cercus followed by a mutual 5min game of who moves first and a subsequent flipping of both animals into the air with the spider landing upside down in its waterdish.
Impressive. Hopefully an Olympic worthy landing with minimal splash.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
My P.cam will kill the crickets i put in 1 at a time hang them in webbing then go kill and wrap the others until all killed then eats one at a time. I usually put in 3 crickets at a time and watch the show. Reminds me of the movie (predator)!!! I have rehoused since this photo but still does it to this day.

Attachments

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
commenting to follow - i drop feed so i never really see feeding responses but this is über interesting
I dont understand?.You drop the prey and walk away?.How is it that you dont see a feeding response?.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
I dont understand?.You drop the prey and walk away?.How is it that you dont see a feeding response?.
yes, i’ve never really watched tbh, i’ve tried to watch but it takes too long and i feel my presence stifles the actual hunting - i know if it’s been successful if the cricket is gone, alive or left for dead

like, i’ve seen crickets walk straight into OW species and then they just play statue while the crickets move about - i’ve only really had success in watching scorpions and true spiders, their take downs tend to be more immediate in my experience anyway

also, i don’t much care for it - i accept that my pets are obligate predators but this doesn’t mean i have to watch

wonderful

Arachnosquire
My a. Avicularia rotates in circles as she munches. Almost like a happy dance. It’s quite adorable.