Weird

intrinsic_scorp

Arachnopeon
Freyja, my female Emperor, was wounded on the base of her tail about a week ago. The wound occured when Thor, my male Emperor, grabbed and dragged her backwards into his burrow when she climbed over the entrance to it. I happened to witness the event and was able to rescue her.

Freyja is the most gentle scorpion I have owned and never pinches when you pick her up. Calm and friendly are the best words to describe her.

Thor, on the contrary, is quite aggressive. You can't go near him without getting his patented "jump attack," as I call it. He gets on the tips of his legs and jumps at your fingers, trying to pinch them. I rather think he enjoys it.

Anyway, before I get off track, Freyja has developed something stange at the site of her injury. I hadn't thought the wound was bad, until now, and would like to know if anyone has seen this before. She has MOLD growing on it! Staying all day in her burrow that is most likely at 100% humidity at a nice warm temperature probably does not help.

I am obviously going to treat the injury; but, has anyone seen this before?! Rather strange I must say. I will try and get some pictures of it tomorrow before I clean it off.

jeroenkooijman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Never seen it but with the relative high temperatures and high humidity it doesn't surprise me. If I were you, I would clean the wound as soon as possible. You never know if it get worse in a short period of time.

Maybe it's even smart to place her apart from the male untill she has been healed a bit.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's probaly mycosis or something of the like. Take it out of there and put it in a shoe box, no substrate, wih some newspaper on the bottom. Let it dry out, heat and humidity doesn't help, and go out and buy clotrimazole or any other antifungal agent, apply with a qtip.

intrinsic_scorp

Arachnopeon
Freyja is not doing well

Well, I brought her out to clean her today. Upon inspection, I noticed that it was just a bunch of crud clinging to what was left of a scab. I brushed it lightly with a Q-Tip and water and it just cleaned off.

She was actually very chipper. She seemed excited to come out of her burrow. I admit, though, I wasn't nice about getting her out of there. Instead of tearing the whole thing apart, I slightly flooded it and she ran out.

Anyway, when I put her back in the enclosure, Thor was out and about. He started shuddering when he saw her and I thought that maybe they would try mating.

They began to do their dance (which seemed a little over-violent). All of a sudden, Thor arched his body as far as he could and got his stinger underneath her. I believe I saw him jab Freyja in the side with it.

They broke apart and the back end of her seemed paralyzed. This paralysis has slowly increased over the last few hours, to the point where she isn't moving anymore.

I am hoping she will make it through the night, but I am doubtful.....

HackoDis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Scorpions are immune to there own venom. I think :?

But best of luck

intrinsic_scorp

Arachnopeon
I see no bleeding

Ok, I am picking her up and looking at her and she is as limp as ever. There is NO bleeding that I can see. Do you think she died of stress?

intrinsic_scorp

Arachnopeon
??

Or maybe she is paralyzed from it. This is new to me. He just attacked her and walked away...... Didn't try to eat her or nothing. I am never going to be able to start a colony with Thor. He is far too aggressive....

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I to have heard that scorpions should be immune to their own poison but i'm not convinced.
I have personally witnessed 2 female Buthacus leptochelys's fighting. After a minute of claw to claw one of them managed to get her aculeus in under the plating of the other. She was dead 10 minutes later.
Now i know it's theoretically possible that there could have been other reasons for her demise but the timing seemed extremely uncoincidental.

Not just that i have also seen a video clip online where 2 other desert species (spp unknown but they appeared to be of the same lineage) attacked one another, there was a strike and positive tag, and within seconds the scorpion victim was either dead or paralysed.
Again, i'll concede that being a video clip it could have been produced to appear the way it did or it could have been CG. However it seemed real to me.

I suspect the truth is that you can't draw a conclusion that all scorpions are immune to their own sp/spp poison, only that some appear to be while others appear not to be.....Or thats the way it would seem.!

Was there not once a discussion along the lines of a scorpions capability of regulating their poison morphology and dosage so as to be able to produce a toxin capable of penetrating a family members immune system..?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Scorpions are immune to there own venom. I think :?

But best of luck
Maybe "their" own venom. But not "they're" own venom. An quick example of that is from the scorpion v scorpion v shrew video from quizs' post last week.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=87470&highlight=shrew

Sexual stings do occur but if she is that unresponsive she's probaly on her way out. Are you positive it was a male and female? Females are the ones who usually kill the males. Or males and males. Which was larger the male or female? Females are generally larger. Seperate them and maybe the female will "catch her breath".

intrinsic_scorp

Arachnopeon
Dead

She was fully dead this morning. I said in another post that I will have a digital camera this weekend, so I will send picture of both of them. The male was shuddering when in the presence of the female and she did not shudder at all. Furthermore, she is a little larger than he. Basically, he went straight to her and delivered death without her putting up much of a fight.

I believe his sting killed her. I watched the entire thing.

Again, I will send pictures of the pectines this weekend from both of them so we can be sure they are male and female.

HackoDis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for providing that info.

I never knew they were succeptable to their "own" venom.

Sorry for the hijack

Zope

Arachnopeon
If you can get pictures of the Pectines that would be great. I would like to hear what everyone here has to say because I have a hard time telling the difference with little reference that is available on the net.

intrinsic_scorp

Arachnopeon
Sunday

This Sunday, the fourth, I will post pictures in this thread for anyone who wants to look at both of their pictures and decide which is which.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Scorpions are indeed immune for there own venom guys, but don't forget, if a scorpion gets stung through the pleural membrane or the space between the sternites/ tergites n a socalled nerveganglia or ganglium, they do die, depending on the severity of the sting.

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think Androctonus Bic posted an interesting thread this past summer, he had a H. Arizonensis and a Hottentotta (i think) right next to each other and they were able to start fighting somehow, the HA won with a sting, but left the body. Quite a while afterwards, the Hottentotta got up and was fine. The venom itself isnt meant to kill, foods better fresh :)

Sorry to hear about your Emp though, as its said around here, "they are communal until they aren't".

Maybe watch it for a few days or something..it might come back unless it got a shot in the ganglion (sp).