weird tarantulas

Azolachifulai

Arachnopeon
Idk why my gramastola pulchripes is doing a defensive position i didn't do anything

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-22 at 10.07.52 AM.jpeg

is this a normal behavior for a grammostola pulchripes all I did was open it's enclosure. before I opened it's enclosure I did nothing it was already making a threat pose it just did it for no reasons

Attachments

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
You scared it when you opened it’s enclosure and then took its hide away. It chose to threat posture at you instead of freezing or running away from you.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Leave it alone, clearly it feels threatened and is being defensive for some reason, although not usually unprovoked.

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
That substrate looks a little moist for the species... But maybe be it's just the image.

The T doesn't want to be bothered, and it's letting you know. I personally wouldn't be surprised at a threat posture ever. If you are disturbing the T in any way, it may react that way.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
There has been times I’ve walked into my T room and my h.pulchripes is in threat pose. Might be a ghost in there messing with her.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
"I didn't do anything other than stuff a stick into it's house and raise it up a bit".....
see the stick in the picture?That's doing something
I have 2 Grammastolas, Pulchripes and Pulchra, my pulchripes is way crankier than my pulchra.
I think like Rosea, there is gonna be a certain % that aren't the docile critters the genus is known to be

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I've had more threat poses from the so called "docile" species, including G pulchripes.
Trying to feed t's that are in premoult can also cause them to rear up at the prey, or you. I avoid doing that but not all species show obvious signs straight away, and sometimes the first clue you notice is a rather grumpy, distinctly ungrateful reaction to food.

KeGathings17

Arachnosquire
Don't forget, tarantulas sense the world through vibrations. She might just be more sensitive to YOU walking by, doing something else near her, or really almost anything in the room itself will trigger some kind of response from her. Most of my T's will flee into their hides whenever I simply open my bedroom door, or even stand over them. I'm sure if they were more inclined to, they would show me a threat posture, they just don't, not sure why. Leave her alone, she is just being a tarantula.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
It could have felt your footsteps. My h.mac would bolt as soon as I stepped on the one floorboard. My g.pulchripes also tends to hide as soon as it knows I am around. Mine has lots of substrate and dug itself quite a large burrow.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Owned one G. Pulchripes and it was the most aggressive T in my collection at the time, which included several OW's. Not to say they are all that way, but definitely a dice roll temperament T.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Owned one G. Pulchripes and it was the most aggressive T in my collection at the time, which included several OW's. Not to say they are all that way, but definitely a dice roll temperament T.
Grammastolas seem to have a 10% psycho ratio

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
All tarantulas are weird, period. They do weird stuff for seemingly no reason. That’s the fun of them! ;) Seems you just disturbed it though

matypants

Arachnopeon
Lots of responses correctly assessing the situation. I’ll add this - instead of opening the enclosure, next time why not take a flash less photo for yourself and call things even? 🤷 Either way, nice spider.