Weird smell?

SpiderQueenLizzy

Arachnopeon
So for the past couple of days I've been smelling this odd sent in my tarantulas cage. Its mostly centered around the fake plants she's webbed over. There is no dead prey items in the cage and no mold or parasites I've seen. She has webbed over everything quite a lot. And she hasn't been eating lately. She could be getting ready to molt. I had just found her in a weird position earlier that made my heart jump. But the second i moved the cage she moved, she could have been cleaning herself though. Her movements don't seem sluggish or weak. I moved her water dish out in front of her so she knows its there. So knowing all this, why do i keep smelling something off in the cage? 1496201983774-70914980.jpg 14962020378821454231429.jpg

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So for the past couple of days I've been smelling this odd sent in my tarantulas cage. Its mostly centered around the fake plants she's webbed over. There is no dead prey items in the cage and no mold or parasites I've seen. She has webbed over everything quite a lot. And she hasn't been eating lately. She could be getting ready to molt. I had just found her in a weird position earlier that made my heart jump. But the second i moved the cage she moved, she could have been cleaning herself though. Her movements don't seem sluggish or weak. I moved her water dish out in front of her so she knows its there. So knowing all this, why do i keep smelling something off in the cage? View attachment 241898 View attachment 241899
first off, beautiful t, but maybe you should answer your own thought, try removing those plants, also what is that screen youve got there?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Describe the odor.. Is it a poop smell, plastic smell, earthy smell, moldy smell, sweet smell? Theres lots of odors.. None worse than regurgitated rabbit...

boina

Lady of the mites
None worse than regurgitated rabbit...
Ha! Try several days old dead seals... and plenty of them...:vomit::vomit::dead:.

Sorry for the derailment, but a kind of description of the smell might give a hint.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Maybe there's a dead and rotting feeder stuck somewhere in that hide or around those fake plants. I've had that happen before, crickets are quite stupid and will wedge themselves into a tight space where they can no longer move or escape, would explain the foul smell.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
How long have you noticed the odor.fairly recently?.I think you probably have a decaying prey item .But I would say,it may be time to start cleaning the enclosure regardless.Off odors are a bad situation .

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Ok,a couple of days.Sorry,you posted that.Was it a while since the last prey was offered?.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My first thought would be a prey item that you might have thought was eaten but instead got stuck somewhere and croaked. You may need to do some digging if the smell persists, though with a GBB that is going to be a bit on the tense side. Make sure you have a catch cup ready.

The substrate should be dry all the way through. There are no wet layers, are there?